“Never Again!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 48 hotels in Cincinnati
Starkville, Mississippi
“Never Again!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

The pictures of the property on the hotel's website were obviously taken from it's good side because as soon as we pulled up the place looked like a run-down dump! The front desk clerk was less than friendly and didn't even attempt to be helpful when we checked in. I overheard another guest asking for help because her room key wouldn't work. His response to her was "go back and try again, it works!" None of the staff I saw that day even bothered to dress in a professional manner. After check in we headed up to our room and things just got worse. As soon as the elevator doors opened I noticed the carpet looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in at least a week and the carpet in our room wasn't much better. The hotel's website clearly states that EVERY room comes with a microwave and refrigerator but that was nowhere to be found. I called the front desk to ask about it and the same rude clerk told me " refrigerators and microwaves are only in the suites". So as I was telling him that the website was misleading he rudely cut me off! We stayed for 2 nights and I never saw or heard housekeeping the whole time we were there. Apparently they did come to our room Sunday while we were out but the only thing they did was empty the waste baskets. They didn't bother to vacuum the floor, collect the dirty towels in the bathroom or leave new towels. The only friendly employees we encountered were the catering staff who worked at an event we attended in the ballroom Saturday night and the desk clerk who checked us out. This hotel shouldn't even be allowed to use the word "luxury" on it's website as it is so misleading. The furnishings obviously haven't been updated in years judging from the worn carpet and peeling desks and tables. I will never recommend this place to anyone and I definitely won't be staying there ever again!

• Liked — The hotel ballroom was suitable for our purposes.
  • Disliked — The lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

7 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Solo
Mobile, AL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

Stayed here two nights on a business trip. The hotel was horrible! It was dirty, old, broken down, and the shower was moldy! Will not return!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — dirty hotel
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Homewood, Il
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

I recently traveled with a group to Cincinnati and this hotel was a part of the package. I was very disappointed immediately upon my arrival.
1. no air in lobby or common areas
2. rooms were deplorable, the worst I've ever seen;dingy quilts, badly stained carpets, chairs, mattresses, cover broken off of air unit, blown light bulbs, dingy worn pillows
3. breakfast buffet looked like a soup kitchen spread. I only ate the packaged yogurt, so I was starving most of the day & staff reported that most surrounding restaurants wont deliver to this hotel. This is just some of what I experienced...the list goes on & on.
I actually felt sorry for staff, because they were nice, and did the best that they could under the circumstances.
Honesty folks, I am surprised that this place hasn't been condemned. It is in very poor repair and I had some serious health concerns. I would recommend that you sleep in your car if this is your only option.

I barely recognized the place based on the pictures provided on this & other sites. They must have been taken 10-20 years ago.

• Liked — Check out time!
  • Disliked — The staff tried their best, but it is clearly a management/revenue problem at this establishment
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2007

This place was bad beyond belief. Desk help claimed there was no manager on property...room not cleaned, ceilings in room falling, toenail clippings all over the floor, bathroom fixtures not cleaned (including used bandage sitting on the ledge of the shower), drapes falling off a broken curtain rod, and there was so much more wrong that I can't cover it in a short review. Wouldn't allow me to talk to anyone and said they hadn't had a front desk manager for two weeks. We checked in late on a Friday night (around 11 PM) and had to spend the night because the area had a huge soccer tournament going on and couldn't find anyplace else quickly to switch to. When I woke up on Saturday, I saw even better how much this room had been neglected. Checked out very early to attend a business meeting, and had the desk person sign and keep a copy of my complaints. I contested the charge, eventually phoned and spoke to a "manager" at Ramada who said they would do what they could for us. Well, they refunded the money on the night we didn't stay (it was a pre-pay through Expedia) and that was it. No apology, no return call to explain their decision...no effort on their part to make things right.

Ramada should be ashamed of the fact that they would take anybody's money considering the condition of the place. There was NO manager to discuss this with during our stay, and this is a good-size convention hotel. I suggest strongly that you stay away from this hotel, and I also think this reflects very negatively on the entire Ramada organization. I am a frequent traveller and have never requested a refund from a hotel, but this situation was beyond any I'd ever seen!

• Liked — If the hotel had been tolerable, it would have been the location.
  • Disliked — Other than one friendly front desk person, I didn't like anything about my accomodation.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2006

We stayed here in July for a wedding - not a terrible place, but not a place to come back to either. Our initial room smelled like awful Chineese food and the bathroom was old and had cracks all over it, so we asked to be moved - we were upgraded to a suite for no additional charge, which was HUGE and was mostly bare without much furniture. However, it was nicer than what we had originally and the front desk really was trying to be helpful. We also had other people in our party who had problems with this hotel, everyting from uncleaned bathrooms to a strong mildew smell that never went away. The downstairs nightclub is not much of a scene, and the buffet breakfast in the morning was so-so, we've had much better.

• Liked — Front desk tried to be helpful
  • Disliked — Run-down property, dingy
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2006

This is the second worse hotel I have ever stayed in. A group of us stayed here on business - how embarrassing! The rooms were filthy! Bathrooms had not been sufficiently cleaned, carpets were not vacuumed, lights didn't work, toilets ran. The second night of our stay, they never even made our bed or left fresh towels. We had to go down to the front desk to complain at 10 pm to get this done. They even called us 15 minutes late for our wake up call. Never Again!

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2005

We stayed here in late July. They were "under construction" but that did
produce the heavy urine smell in the room, the hanging draperies, the
fluid dried on the picture glass and the dried condoms on the window sill.

Been to Cincinnati North Hotel? Share your experiences!