“Disappointing service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area

You added Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area
Ranked #5 of 48 Hotels in Cincinnati
Columbus. Ohio
“Disappointing service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I needed a late checkout and selected this hotel primarily because their website offered "2 pm late checkout, upon availability." I confirmed it by phone, requested it online, and asked the desk clerk about it at check-in. She said it'd "probably be okay" but I needed to confirm it in the morning. Okay ... so far, this is all standard stuff.

This morning, the young woman at the front desk told me I had to be out by 11. "We have 66 guests arriving," she said. Yea? So???

I tried using my HiltonHonors membership as leverage. She told me, "You're only a blue member. Late checkout is for gold and diamond members." Wow, she sure put me in MY place!! I asked if I could talk with a manager. "I AM the acting day manager," she snapped.

A few hours later, I stopped at the front desk to see if she'd called housekeeping, as she said she'd do. She hadn't, so she made the call on the spot. I could hear the housekeeper's voice when the day manager asked about late checkout for me. "Absolutely not!" the housekeeper bellowed. "Out by 11!" It was already after 11, so I was stretching it, but I was seriously disappointed at this level of service. Why offer 2 pm checkout if you can't or won't honor it?

The facility is decent ... a standard Hampton. They do charge $9/day for parking, which I'm not accustomed to in Hamptons like this one. Parking plus the room charge and taxes totalled over $150.

One other bothersome thing: they have a few too many signs and reminders about clean beds: large notices on the elevator doors, posters, even preprinted post-it notes on each of our queen bed headboards announcing "fresh sheets and duvet covers" for every guest. What? Do they have a history of using dirty sheets? Or, worse, bedbugs? My partner was concerned enough about bedbugs that he checked the mattress and box springs. [They were clean.]

If you're looking at this review, you probably know that except for a cluster of high-end downtown hotels, the Hampton is one of the few hotels near the UC Medical Center and Cinci Children's. But there is another option. Next month when I'm in town, I'm trying the Symphony Hotel. It's in a comparable "transitional" neighborhood just 2 miles south of the Hampton. It's locally owned and operated, so I'm betting that staff are much better trained in serving customers effectively.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ValarieOrr, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. I apologize that we were unable to provide you with a late check-out. Our front desk department goes through a lengthy process each day to ensure that our guests receive exactly the room expected, however at times we do not have the same availability due to guests extending their stays with us. I especially want to apologize if the staff member who you dealt with, was rude to you. Please know that as a Hilton Honors Member your business is incredibly important to us and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and do hope that the next time you travel to the area you will consider staying with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Troy, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Parking fee $9.00 I never had to pay before.
Taxes outragous.
Furnishings were very nice.
This trip was for my husband's surgery in the hospital.
Hotel cost was still high.
Breakfast was ok, but cold and nothing to brag about.
I did not know when my husband would be discharged and the hotel clerk did not know what I could do either, so I checked out and called back for a second reservation.
The first reservation the heating/air did not work well and had a huge noise. I did not report that as I did not want to change rooms.

Room Tip: No time for fitness although it would have been nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
ValarieOrr, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
I appreciate your review of our property. I understand that you were unhappy with the parking charges and I apologize for any miscommunication. Hampton Inn & Suites offers a discounted rate for anyone visiting the major hospitals within our hotel area, please ask for that rate when you make any future reservations. I apologize if your heater was not working properly; on your next stay if you are not satisfied with any part of your stay please inform the front desk immediately so that we may make it right. I thank you from bringing the heating issue up to my attention so that I may follow-up with our maintenance crew. Your feedback is very important to us and I can assure you that I will be taking your comments into consideration to improve our hotel. We strive to create a wonderful and affordable guest experience. Thank you again for your review.
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Located fairly close to the UC Medical Center and a bit further from the main campus this is a standard Hampton Inn. Staff varies from outgoing to not so. Forget about walking the neighborhood, it's "transitional" to be generous. If you want a restaurant you probably could walk to the Kingsgate Marriott but it's priced for the convention trade. Tall people should be warned that the tubs are very short. Parking is $9/night which seems ridiculous when you consider how few cars are parked there in the winter.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Highland Hts, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed at this Hampton while visiting Univ of Cinci and it was perfect! Great location and great hotel!! Would do it again, no questions! They offer a campus rate too! Super comfy beds, great night sleep!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This Hampton Inn appeared to be very new. It was very clean and the staff was friendly and very professional. This is a great location if you have business with UC as it is within walking distance. My only complaint is the proximity to a selection of restaurants. I did have to drive to find something that would satisfy a healthy lifestyle. I would definitely stay here again. *word of caution~ If you are a Sprint customer, the reception in this hotel is spotty at best.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Central Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Hampton inn on Vine is very easy to get to and is very close to everything UC related. We stayed at this Hampton for auditions for CCM. It was only .8mile from the conservatory. So in the right weather it would have been an easy walk.

The room was very comfortable and the pillow top mattresses was a definite plus. The walls between the rooms was a little thin (or we just has really good hearing) as our neighboring room had the tv on all night and we could hear it. In fairness to the hotel, we did not notify the staff of this issue and I am sure that they would have addressed it if we had complained.

The complimentary breakfast was amazing. There was a variety of items to fit anyone's dietary needs. There were self serve waffles, scrabbled eggs, bacon, fresh fruit, cereal, oatmeal, pastries, muffins, etc. This type of breakfast was a wonderful perk. The dining area was not cramped and it was very clean, even with a full hotel.

The parking lot was adequate for the hotel size and location. It was was a $9/day fee but the lot was frequented by the city police so that added to additional security. The neighborhood a few blocks away from the hotel opposite of the university, specifically, isn't the greatest. I wouldn't stroll off or jog the area.

Logan was one of the front desk employees who was very hospitable and went out of his way to make sure that we were satisfied with our stay. It was very apparent that customer service is priority at this location and they really strive to have repeat customers and know the value of a satisfied customer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Coshocton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This brand new property is full of the friendliest and most attentive staff I have ever had the pleasure of encountering in a Hampton brand. We are Hilton Honors members so have visited many of them.

The hotel is clean, modern and well maintained. Even though it's over two years old now, you'd think it was opened a month earlier because of the condition of everything.

The parking area is well lit and worth the $9.00 charge. The walk to the University of Cincinnati's campus isn't far and we didn't feel uncomfortable at all, even walking back after dark.

I would definately stay here again for our next trip to UC!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area? Share your experiences!