“Great new Hampton Inn near University of Cincinnati” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3024 Vine Street, Cincinnati, OH 45219   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Military Family Rate
Ranked #5 of 48 hotels in Cincinnati
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Great new Hampton Inn near University of Cincinnati”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is a wonderful Hampton Inn - newer, still clean even though I think its been open a year or more

With the exception of 2 crabby young ladies who I have had the misfortune of dealing with at the front desk, EVERYONE ELSE that works there is kind, welcoming and very customer oriented.

My daughter goes to the University of Cincinnati so we have had the opportunity to stay there 4 times in the past year, and I image we will stay there just as much each year. They typically offer a UC rate that makes this so much more affordable than other nearby hotels, for this I am very very thankful.

The owner of the hotel is there every morning eating breakfast and chatting with guests. What a great guy. The facility staff are great, especially the breakfast ladies and the gentleman that is always cleaning up down in the lobby area. The rooms are clean and the hampton beds are always comfortable.

The only thing that bothers me is that you do have to pay for parking, but they say that in a number of years they will not longer have to pay the city for the parking and thus guests won't have to pay for parking.

I travel A LOT and have stayed in hotels everywhere, this place is a cut above the rest because of the people that work here, and I really appreciate their friendliness.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ValarieOrr, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
I apologize for the issues you had with the 2 staff members at the front desk. I wish you had taken my business card and called me immediately. I have my personal cell phone number listed for just these types of issues as we, at Hampton Inn do our very best to provide excellent customer service and when our guest's needs aren't met in any way, not only are you not satisfied, WE aren't satisfied and we want you to enjoy EVERY part of your stay from the check in to the check out. I've addressed "attitude" issues with the entire staff (including the 2 front desk crabs that you encountered) and explained that our business IS the Customer Service Business and Attitude is definitely everything. To provide excellent customer service, Hampton (and I) expect our Hotel Team to have that "can do anything" attitude in mannerisms, facial expression and voice. I hope on your next visit to our hotel, you will absolutely see an improvement. If not or there are other issues? Pick up my business card at the front desk (Valarie Orr - Director of Operations) and call my cell. The issue willbe resolved immediately and to your satisfaction.

291 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I was very impressed with this hotel. I suppose it's been awhile since I stayed at a Hampton Inn, but I was surprised. It was a lot nicer than your typical chain hotel. The first thing that jumped out at me in the room was the huge walk-in shower with glass doors (in just a regular king-bed room!). It was a nice change from the typical dingy tub with a shower curtain that you find at most 2-3 star hotels. The shower-head also seemed new and had 6 different settings, plus it was very high up, so height wasn't an issue. The towels were also fluffier than the typical chain hotel it seemed, but maybe they had recently been purchased. The bathroom was large and had a big vanity with a storage shelf underneath. There were also storage shelves built into the walls for the towels, which was a nice touch. The room was very large (king bed) and had a decent television with a good selection of channels. The free breakfast had a great selection, but it was your typical free hotel breakfast (although 2 big fruit bowls was a nice touch, as well as pre-made hot oatmeal).

Aside from all of these perks, my favorite part of the hotel was the free Otis Spunkmeyer chocolate chip cookies at the front desk. I had gone out to dinner with a group of people, and I didn't want to be the only one getting dessert, so I sadly took a pass at satisfying my sweet tooth. Thankfully, when I got back to the hotel, there was a delicious cookie waiting for me. It's the little things!

The only downside is that parking is $9, but it seemed like no matter where I looked at to stay in Cincinnati, I would have to pay for hotel parking. I will definitely stay here again if I'm in the area!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
THANK YOU!!! All our guests enjoy the free Otis Spunkmeyer cookies when they register at our hotel. We get the biggest cookies available so there is more to enjoy!
We are pleased that you enjoyed every part of your stay and hope you choose our hotel again on your next visit!! We'll have those cookies ready!!!
Ypsilanti, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Staying at this Hampton was one of my best hotel experiences. Friendly clean and accommodating. My favorite part was the complimentary otis spunkenmeyer cookie in the evening. The comp hot breakfast was also delicious. And just in case you didn't have time to sit down for breakfast they packed you a bag to go with bottle water, fruit, and a granola bar...how thoughtful! The bed was super comfortable as usual for Hampton Inn's and the room was very spacious. I literally cannot wait to go back to stay at this hotel.

Its very close to the university of cincinnati and university hospital. About 10 min from downtown. It cost $9 to self park.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ValarieOrr, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH for choosing our wonderful, new Hampton Inn & Suites ~ Uptown University!! We strive to accommodate all our guests needs in as many areas as possible and are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and are looking forward to returning! We hope to see you soon!!
Valarie a. Orr
Director of Operations
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stay in Hampton Inns all the time and this was a good one. The location is perfect if you have business at the University or anywhere nearby. The rooms were nice but a fridge / microwave would have been nice. Breakfast is good and there was plenty of it. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. There was plenty of ice and the front desk was helpful. The cost was more than reasonable for the location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
ValarieOrr, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for sharing your review of our hotel with others! I must agree that for the value, the location, the free amenities and the warm welcome, our hotel is bar none.
We will be adding more guest amenities in the future - so be prepared for even greater convenience and comfortabililty when you return.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to serving you with great Hamptonality next time!!
Valarie A. Orr
Director of Operations
Hampton Inn & Suites ~ Uptown University
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

If you check the "terrible" and "poor" reviews of this hotel, you'll see a few complaints by customers who were brought in on a promotional rate, only to have that promotional rate taken away as soon as they left the property. Sadly, it almost happened to me as well.

My promotional rate was secured because of a conference that I was attending nearby. When I originally called the hotel to make the reservation, they agreed to the rate that was promoted.

When I arrived at the hotel, I was "upgraded" to a better suite. I assumed that this was something that they did as a complimentary upgrade because I was a Hilton Gold member. (It's something that's happened at other Hilton-branded hotels in the past, and that I've taken as
routine.) However, when I got the bill the next day, it was higher than the rate we agreed upon.

I confronted them at the desk the next morning. They told me that this was the room and the price that I originally requested, and that the price would not be changed. When I told them that I asked for (and they told me that they gave me) the negotiated rate on your website, they said that they aren't responsible for the "misprint", and that they never offer such a rate. The desk clerk also called management, who backed her up on this.

I called the Hilton Gold Member Customer assistance line. On their computers, they noticed that they originally gave me the negotiated rate, but later, changed the reservation to the higher priced suite. I never received any phone call about this, and never gave my permission for them to charge me more. (Nor would I have done so, if they had asked me.)

Thankfully, because I'm a gold member, I had access to this information. When confronted by Hilton Customer Service, the hotel management returned the bill to the agreed upon rate two days later. (After initially stating that they would fix it within the hour.)

Fortunately, this was resolved in my case. But if I didn't have "gold member" service, I would not have had access to the records that proved me correct. Sadly, when hotel management (finally) sent me a corrected invoice, they did so in a matter-of-fact "here's the corrected invoice", without even an apology.

If it weren't for this? The rooms, linens, cleanliness, and breakfast were standard for the Hampton brand. Still, I'd avoid coming back. And if I were forced to return, I'd be sure to get written verification at the desk (upon checkin) what the rate was, and have a backup plan if they raised the rate.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
cacheflow, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Hello sir,
I am very sorry about the way that you were treated. I believe that I tracked your reservation and made sure that you were refunded. This is no excuse, but please accept my apologies and give us another chance.
I assure you that This is a training issue not a bait and switch issue. I ascept responsibility and followed through on the refund. I promise to the same for every customer. Please accept my apologies.
Gahanna, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The good and the bad....

The good is the hotel itself. My king room was beautiful, spacious, modern, comfortable and clean. This can be said for the whole hotel. There's a little snack and sundry shop behind the front desk too, which was convenient. I did not partake in any hotel amenities, so I can't comment. It was close to the university where I was visiting for business.

The bad... i had to pay $9 for parking, which is a pet peeve of mine. The hotel is on a very busy and winding street, and it was a little difficult to figure out how to get in and out of the parking lot. The worst though is that it's in a very sketchy area of town. I really wanted to walk somewhere for dinner so I wouldn't have to fight traffic and the front desk staff told me to turn left and there were all sorts of places to eat, including a LaRosa's, a BBQ place, a sports bar, etc. I would NOT recommend walking alone, or even in a group in this area. I felt extremely unsafe and the restaurant recommendations were not worthy of a recommendation.

I'd still recommend this hotel since the hotel itself was lovely and it was convenient to UC. However, be prepared to leave the property in your vehicle for any kind of dining or entertainment.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
cacheflow, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking time to write a response to your recent stay at the hotel. This establishment is doing its best to revitalize the area and we sincerely hope that our efforts pay off.
I hope to see you again very soon.
Have a great day.
Hudson, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Recent stay to visit my son at UC.King suite room was very spacious and well appointed. The hotel was very clean and well attended to. Parking was plentiful and lot appears to be safe. All in all an excellent hotel and I will be a regular guest over the next few years.
I must give a shout out to the staff as they go well beyond being"friendly" to guests. They are truly nice people. The young lady who gets up at 4:30 to attend to the breakfact area is very professional. And all the "elves" in laundry when the back door of the elevator opens are too funny.
I hope management appreciates what a great staff they have because its the staf that will bring me back.

Room Tip: Kind suite