“Can't wait to come back!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area

Save Saved
You added Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area to your Saves list
Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3024 Vine Street, Cincinnati, OH 45219   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Military Family Rate
Ranked #4 of 49 hotels in Cincinnati
Ypsilanti, MI
“Can't wait to come back!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Staying at this Hampton was one of my best hotel experiences. Friendly clean and accommodating. My favorite part was the complimentary otis spunkenmeyer cookie in the evening. The comp hot breakfast was also delicious. And just in case you didn't have time to sit down for breakfast they packed you a bag to go with bottle water, fruit, and a granola bar...how thoughtful! The bed was super comfortable as usual for Hampton Inn's and the room was very spacious. I literally cannot wait to go back to stay at this hotel.

Its very close to the university of cincinnati and university hospital. About 10 min from downtown. It cost $9 to self park.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
ValarieOrr, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH for choosing our wonderful, new Hampton Inn & Suites ~ Uptown University!! We strive to accommodate all our guests needs in as many areas as possible and are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and are looking forward to returning! We hope to see you soon!!
Valarie a. Orr
Director of Operations

281 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stay in Hampton Inns all the time and this was a good one. The location is perfect if you have business at the University or anywhere nearby. The rooms were nice but a fridge / microwave would have been nice. Breakfast is good and there was plenty of it. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. There was plenty of ice and the front desk was helpful. The cost was more than reasonable for the location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
ValarieOrr, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for sharing your review of our hotel with others! I must agree that for the value, the location, the free amenities and the warm welcome, our hotel is bar none.
We will be adding more guest amenities in the future - so be prepared for even greater convenience and comfortabililty when you return.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to serving you with great Hamptonality next time!!
Valarie A. Orr
Director of Operations
Hampton Inn & Suites ~ Uptown University
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

If you check the "terrible" and "poor" reviews of this hotel, you'll see a few complaints by customers who were brought in on a promotional rate, only to have that promotional rate taken away as soon as they left the property. Sadly, it almost happened to me as well.

My promotional rate was secured because of a conference that I was attending nearby. When I originally called the hotel to make the reservation, they agreed to the rate that was promoted.

When I arrived at the hotel, I was "upgraded" to a better suite. I assumed that this was something that they did as a complimentary upgrade because I was a Hilton Gold member. (It's something that's happened at other Hilton-branded hotels in the past, and that I've taken as
routine.) However, when I got the bill the next day, it was higher than the rate we agreed upon.

I confronted them at the desk the next morning. They told me that this was the room and the price that I originally requested, and that the price would not be changed. When I told them that I asked for (and they told me that they gave me) the negotiated rate on your website, they said that they aren't responsible for the "misprint", and that they never offer such a rate. The desk clerk also called management, who backed her up on this.

I called the Hilton Gold Member Customer assistance line. On their computers, they noticed that they originally gave me the negotiated rate, but later, changed the reservation to the higher priced suite. I never received any phone call about this, and never gave my permission for them to charge me more. (Nor would I have done so, if they had asked me.)

Thankfully, because I'm a gold member, I had access to this information. When confronted by Hilton Customer Service, the hotel management returned the bill to the agreed upon rate two days later. (After initially stating that they would fix it within the hour.)

Fortunately, this was resolved in my case. But if I didn't have "gold member" service, I would not have had access to the records that proved me correct. Sadly, when hotel management (finally) sent me a corrected invoice, they did so in a matter-of-fact "here's the corrected invoice", without even an apology.

If it weren't for this? The rooms, linens, cleanliness, and breakfast were standard for the Hampton brand. Still, I'd avoid coming back. And if I were forced to return, I'd be sure to get written verification at the desk (upon checkin) what the rate was, and have a backup plan if they raised the rate.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
cacheflow, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Hello sir,
I am very sorry about the way that you were treated. I believe that I tracked your reservation and made sure that you were refunded. This is no excuse, but please accept my apologies and give us another chance.
I assure you that This is a training issue not a bait and switch issue. I ascept responsibility and followed through on the refund. I promise to the same for every customer. Please accept my apologies.
Gahanna, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

The good and the bad....

The good is the hotel itself. My king room was beautiful, spacious, modern, comfortable and clean. This can be said for the whole hotel. There's a little snack and sundry shop behind the front desk too, which was convenient. I did not partake in any hotel amenities, so I can't comment. It was close to the university where I was visiting for business.

The bad... i had to pay $9 for parking, which is a pet peeve of mine. The hotel is on a very busy and winding street, and it was a little difficult to figure out how to get in and out of the parking lot. The worst though is that it's in a very sketchy area of town. I really wanted to walk somewhere for dinner so I wouldn't have to fight traffic and the front desk staff told me to turn left and there were all sorts of places to eat, including a LaRosa's, a BBQ place, a sports bar, etc. I would NOT recommend walking alone, or even in a group in this area. I felt extremely unsafe and the restaurant recommendations were not worthy of a recommendation.

I'd still recommend this hotel since the hotel itself was lovely and it was convenient to UC. However, be prepared to leave the property in your vehicle for any kind of dining or entertainment.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
cacheflow, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking time to write a response to your recent stay at the hotel. This establishment is doing its best to revitalize the area and we sincerely hope that our efforts pay off.
I hope to see you again very soon.
Have a great day.
Hudson, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Recent stay to visit my son at UC.King suite room was very spacious and well appointed. The hotel was very clean and well attended to. Parking was plentiful and lot appears to be safe. All in all an excellent hotel and I will be a regular guest over the next few years.
I must give a shout out to the staff as they go well beyond being"friendly" to guests. They are truly nice people. The young lady who gets up at 4:30 to attend to the breakfact area is very professional. And all the "elves" in laundry when the back door of the elevator opens are too funny.
I hope management appreciates what a great staff they have because its the staf that will bring me back.

Room Tip: Kind suite
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words. My staff really enjoys their job and is anxious to show it!
Ottawa, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

The room was the largest I've ever stayed in and totally clean. The large flat screen was easily acssesable from both sides of the room. the kitchen was very nice it has its own sink and fridge so we was able to keep food and drinks seperate from the bathroom. The king size bed was very comfortable, with lots of pillows. The breakfast was very good, with lots of choices. The service was very good and all the employees were very helpful and kind. The taxi ride downtown runs $15-$17, we went to a Red's game and didn't wanna drive. Overall best hampton I have ever stayed at.

Room Tip: High floors are nice for a view, but really not necessary if there for 1 night.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking time our of your busy schedule to write a response to your stay at our hotel. It is comments such as yours that make this such an enjoyable place to work. I appreciate you kind words and look forward to seeing you again.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Very clean. Staff friendly and helpfull. Not much to eat in the area but front desk gave us directions to a fun area to shop and eat.
Parking was easy.
Fitness room could use better equipment, kind of generic

• Stayed September 2012
cacheflow, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complety the survey. Your compliments were greatly appreciated.

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Cincinnati/Uptown-University Area? Share your experiences!