“Not bad for a buffet” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Grand Junction, Colorado
“Not bad for a buffet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I love sushi, and this was the closest to the hotel I was staying at. So Kyojin suffers from the same fate as most sushi buffet, they cook everything in advance then put it on the cold shelf. Sushi that is prepared this way usually isnt fresh and is made in a hurry because the chef doesnt care about the quality of the food. I picked out the selection that I loved and noticed that it tasted average to mediocre but never excellent. But seeing that it was a buffet I was impressed with how clean and quiet the place was, I usually hate buffets because of crying children and dirty countertops and long lines. I dont expect much but giving them an order for Tako-yaki (octopus rolled up in batter with shrimp scales) No they had no idea what Tako-yaki was and so do most sushi restaurants. Its an extravant meal and not many american sushi establishments know how to cook it. but yes, if I am dining on a budget and I dont feel like driving to far into the city I will definitley come back to Kyojin again.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Skip it...it's ho hum and disappointing.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

The service was terrible, the food marginal, and the atmosphere dirty and stanky. The ONLY compliment we could pay is that they do have quite a variety of sushi on the buffet. It wasn't real good, but there was plenty to choose from.
Might be good for those that aren't sushi veterans as they do label the sushi as containing cooked or raw ingredients.
Overall a disappointing experience, we won't be back.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Used to be a really good place to go, not anymore.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I have been going to this place for so many years, when they opened it as a sushi grill. It was delicious, the food was amazing, you can't really say anything about the service, because it is buffet, so you serve yourself, but I remember one time their owner's wife was really rude with us, because we didn't leave her enough tips. So we didn't even care about service, we were their, because of their food. Me and my husband, my friend went last Saturday which was July 14. The parking lot was empty.... on Saturday really??? I was wondering why, then we found out. The food is not even average anymore, I mean you can see it wasn't fresh, I mean it's just sad to see what's happening to small business owners, but I don't want to pay 25$ per person for not fresh dinner. Sushi wasn't fresh, as a buffet they don't have that much selection.I'm not going back there anymore.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Fills you up”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Kyojin has lots of sushi, which is nice on a buffet. Otherwise, the food is just average. There are hot and cold items with desserts. My daughter loves the place, so I go with her. I would never choose to go on my own. If you like sushi and asian buffets, it is worth a try.

Visited March 2012
Grove City, Ohio
“Great food, service and value. We drive from Columbus just to eat here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

My wife and I have been to this buffet multiple times. We are from Columbus and look for reasons to go to Cincinnati just to eat here. The selection od sushi is amazing and the taste is great! They offer raw as well as cooked sushi and it is all great. The hot food on the buffet is great as well. We particularly love the coconut chicken and the general zos chicken. The tampura fried vegtables are also very good.
The service is friendly and we have never waited for things to be refiled. The price is cheap for this type of food. We have only been during the lunch time and never payed more than $10 a person.
Overall Great food, Great Price, Great service! I would highly recommend this buffet to anyone who enjoys this type of food. We will be back....anyone have a reason I need to go to Cincinnati!?!?!?!?!

• Visited March 2012