“Very nice ride - great service and good food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Update restaurant details
Reserve with OpenTable
Update
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #73 of 1,700 restaurants in Cincinnati
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Westland
“Very nice ride - great service and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

If you love trains - this is a must. A 3 hour train ride starting in Northern Cincinnati going to down town and returning. The train travels at a leisurely 10 mph so scenery is easy to watch.
The wait staff is very attentive. The food is prepared prior to departure and is good considering the amount of time from cooking to serving. Appetiser, salad, entree (prime rib, chicken or fish) and desert.
A photographer takes pictures ($10 each) and the conductor shares a few interesting pieces of history along the way.
We will return and enjoy dinner again on our next visit to Cincinnati.
Note: The train only runs on Saturday evenings (leaving at 6pm and returning at 9pm)

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

100% Recommend
Fairfield, Ohio
“Loved it, going back again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

My husband surprised me with this for my birthday. It was an all-around enjoyable time. I had the prime rib and my husband had the chicken meal and we both enjoyed the dinner. The servers were the best, extremely friendly and helpful. Our table was by the area where the Conductor spoke so it was very nice to speak with him about the train and the trip.
The only two down parts were first the dirty scenery. It only shows that Cincinnati really needs to clean up their city, too many abandoned homes and tires "growing" in the trees. The second was the train car was very cold. We will go back in warmer weather.
Speaking of going back, we are planning two more trips back with family and friends!

• Visited March 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
union
“a homerun for cincinnati”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

hats off to the owners of the cincinnati dinner train. what a great nostalgic venue. i went for the train ride in authentic 1940s railcars but was shocked by the great food. the servers are great and the old time conductor was a nice touch. they even had a guy in a fedora and handlebar mustashe and a "press" sign in his hat band, taking pictures for purchase. the 1940s big band music completed the effect of putting me back in the golden age of luxury train travel.

everyone i heard that night loved it. the only complaints were about the price. i thought it was too low! you spend the same thing for a meal at rubys place and it doesnt move. the three hour train ride in those awesome restored cars is worth the price by itself. dont miss this guys.

• Visited December 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Enjoyable & Nostalgic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

I went with my daughters; both in their twenties and my mother who’s in her seventies and we all enjoyed it although the older daughter wished her food was warmer. He also got a little ill when the train started off but she was facing backwards and once they took off in the direction she was facing she was fine. I must mention that another woman was ill as well, it seemed that she might have been suffering from train sickness if you will though the staff was giving a friend of hers tips on how to overcome it.

The trip is not fast, it goes about ten miles per hour and it is not actually scenic. You pass some interesting sites that are listed on a booklet on the table and perhaps the most enjoyable for both passengers and onlookers is going through peoples back and front yards. There was actually a lady in an long white apron, a glass of wine in one hand and waving with her free hand while standing in the back door of her house. Kids on the street, in cars, grown ups everywhere, all waving. It was rather fun.

The food was fine, had the chicken entrée, there are only three choices which you must choose from before the trip, prime rib, salmon and chicken breast in white wine sauce. I tried the salmon which my youngest ordered and it was tasty. First though I started with a drink from the bar as I got there about 30 minutes early. You may arrive up to two hours early actually and I suppose if you want to get your money’s worth it might behoove you to do so as it is a nice experience just sitting in the old fashioned dining car or in the bar car chatting with friends and enjoying a bottle of wine. You can run a tab as well as purchase soda pop in the bar. Water and ice tea come with the meal.

And back to the meal! You start with crudités then rolls with a large wedge of crisp iceberg lettuce with ranch dressing that they serve with bits of blue cheese and or bacon pieces that you can add. We all found it quite tasty much to our surprise when we added the blue cheese. There’s almost a meal for each hour. Dessert was okay, both my mother and I had the chocolate cream pie and would not order it again but my daughters opted for plain cheesecake and enjoyed that very much. They had several types of cheesecake to choose from as well.

There were only two things my family didn’t like. At first it was incredibly loud, as if no one knew they had an inside voice but we finally adjusted and though we had to shout to be heard sometimes we could at least communicate. My mother absolutely hated the noise. Secondly, my oldest daughter and my mother both thought we were being ignored by the servers. My youngest and I didn’t notice but it upset the other two a bit. I took them at their word and the tip did reflect that to some degree.

It was a great mixed crowd, whites, minorities (we were in this group), older people and younger people, even an under twelve year old child and the age limit is twelve. Ultimately it was a fun experience with pleasant servers, in my opinion, and quite a nostalgic trip for my mother and I who had ridden trains back in the “olden days” and I highly recommend it at least once.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, Ohio
“The Cincinnati Dinner Train is a great time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

I have been on the Dinner Train multiple times and will go again. Great food, good drink prices and unique atmosphere. I highly recommend the Dinner Train to anyone looking for something interesting to do.