“Worse than my lower standards for Days Inn stays” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #40 of 49 Hotels in Cincinnati
“Worse than my lower standards for Days Inn stays”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Because I travel frequently, I have a pretty good idea what to expect from different chain hotels. I know not to expect Marriott quality at a Days Inn, but I also know that Days Inn tends to be a decent, budget-friendly place to stay, in most locations. Not so, here!

We stayed 6/28 to 7/1, when my fiance and I drove up for a job interview (for him.) Because it would mean I was just a few hours from my mother (who I hadn't seen in a year) I invited her down as well. I chose to stay here, as opposed to Red Roof Inn just across the street, because I could get Wyndham points. I never even thought to check the reviews. Shame on me! I booked online a few days before check-in, to take advantage of the Wyndham "Stay 3 and save" deal.

When we showed up, my fiance hit up the restroom (which is in the connecting bar/restaurant) while I checked in. Everything went smoothly, and I verified my mother's reservation for the next day. Then, we walked to our room, which was on the backside of the building, with a lovely view of the storage units next door to the motel. Our first surprise was that we had been put in a double room. When we drug everything back up to the front to explain the mix-up, the clerk argued with me about my reservation being for a double, not a King, despite my showing him my reservation confirmation on my phone. After a few minutes of arguing about it, the clerk finally said that they were booked up for the night, but that I could come back in the morning to have my room changed. Thus started our wonderful adventure.

In the double room, the smoke detector was missing, with only bare wires exposed. The towels were stained with what looked like old coffee spills, and the sheets/bedding of course had cigarette burns. The A/C barely coughed out a slightly cool breeze. There was also half of an old McD's quarter pounder box behind the dresser. It would also soon come to our attention that the piping for the sink leaked, as the floor was quite damp by the end of the night (which is probably the cause of the musty funk that permeated the room.) Oh, and woe to you if you stay at this motel on a Friday or Saturday night, for you WILL hear the band, and you WILL hear the bar guests. Every song, every word, every screech from drunk women enjoying themselves a little too much. Hope you don't require much sleep!

The next morning, we popped into the front desk, and they told us that as soon as a king room was cleaned, it would be ours. Since we had running around to do, we asked that our stuff be left in the original room, and we would move it once we got into a new room. This part of the day went smoothly, and at about 2:00 we came back, were given a room, and we moved our stuff. The new room was a complete night-and-day difference to the old room. The old room looked like it had been used to house hobos... the new room looked (and smelled!) as if it had previously been used as guest quarters for the owners. There were still some holes in the sheets, but it was nice overall.

My mother checked in that afternoon, and was placed in the room directly on the opposite side of the wall from our old room. Her floor, as well, was wet - which leads me to believe there is an in-wall leak in the plumbing. Her smoke detector was also missing, though the wires were neatly packed away and not left bare. Her room was somewhat cleaner than our old room, but the damp floor in front of the sink also lead to dampness on the bathroom tile - something that caused both my mother and my fiance to nearly slip and fall.

The rest of our stay was uneventful, though I'll leave you with one last word of advice. If you stay here, do NOT use the stairwell, unless it's a dire emergency. You would be safer jumping from the 3rd floor balcony than using the stairwell. It's very dimly lit, and the laminate on the risers is coming loose, and you will very easily catch your shoes on it as you try to come down. The steps are also uneven from years of wear, so descending is treacherous. We went down the stairs once - I told my fiance they remind me of a stairwell where drug addicts and murderers congregate - and that was more than enough for me.

Altogether, if I have to stay in Cincy again, I'll find another hotel to take my money.

Room Tip: Your best bet for a good room would be to request room 300 (the only room I can say for certain was...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Only good thing about this place was that it had no reports of bedbugs! Place was old, rooms were shabby, and service was very poor. On first glance, it seems fairly clean and smelled old, but looks are deceiving. There were dents in the walls, places where repairs were made (poorly) and not painted, curtains were on the verge of falling down (rod broken and pulling off the wall), clothes rack was pulling out of the wall, there were holes in the sheets and bedspreads (both burns and holes from age), the floor looked vacuumed but if you walked on it, the bottoms of shoes &/or feet turned black, and the bathroom door would not close completely. The smoke alarm started beeping and it took someone an hour to come up to change the battery. I think this person put the same battery back in or brought up another old battery because it didn't stop the chirping. Someone was supposed to come up and fix it but never did, even after repeated calls to come (told someone would be up shortly each time). We finally went to a store and bought a battery so that we would be able to sleep (replaced the old battery when we left the next morning). Also, at about 1:30 AM, there was a yelling match outside our room from the guys in the room next to ours. It was very loud and there was very bad language used and we thought there was about to be a full blown fight. I was afraid it would escalate into a dangerous situation (it woke our grandson up and he was fearful of getting shot). After about 30 minutes, it quieted down but started up about an hour later. The second time wasn't as loud or didn't last as long. Upon leaving the next day, we mentioned it at the desk, and we were told the police were called for the fight. We also noticed on leaving that the window in the room next to ours had been shattered (looked like fist had hit it). I'm glad we only stayed the one night and would never recommend or stay at this place again!!! It rates right up there at the top of the worst places we have stayed. I would not have stayed there if I had been able to find any other rooms in the area. Everything was sold out within an hour of the place we were having to go to the next morning.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Sheets were stained, had holes and cigarette burns in them, our king size bed had sheets that were fit for a queen bed, I asked for new ones and was showed by housekeeping that ALL of the sheets looked like that, and of course they did, had NO tv remote, bath towels and wash cloths were also stained, VERY old and broken furniture, staff was very unfriendly, potholes in parking lot, Swimming pool was VERY small, walls had stains and cracks in them, looks like NO updating has been done in YEARS if ever, WOULD NOT STAY HERE EVER AGAIN, would have rather slept in my car, and I've stayed at SEVERAL hotels, and this one is HORRIBLE

• Stayed June 2014
Maumee, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

This motel is in awful shape. The physical state of the room is in a shambles. The bathroom door doesn't close all the way. The floor moldings are peeling away from the wall. I didn't see any bugs but I wouldn't be surprised to. Our room had a musty, stale cigarette smell. The sheets and comforters all had tears and holes in them and the beds are not comfortable. I did not feel comfortable walking barefoot in this room.

We stopped at the front desk to ask for extra towels and were given 2. When we asked for additional towels, we were told that is all that they had. Additionally, the clerk at the front desk told us our towels would've been replaced by housekeeping had we not sent them away when they came in that morning (at 9:30).

We chose this motel sight unseen because others in the area were priced much higher...the 3 adults that stayed are in agreement that we should've forked out the extra cash for a nicer hotel. The money you save is not worth the discomfort you'll experience at this property.

• Stayed June 2014

Been to Days Inn Cincinnati East? Share your experiences!