“Nice location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Cincinnati

You added The Westin Cincinnati to your Saves list
The Westin Cincinnati
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   21 East 5th Street, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Central Business District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Cincinnati
Lexington Ky
“Nice location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The location is great. Easy walk to Jeff Ruby's and all kinds of places. Front desk staff was friendly. Room was clean, the duvet cover had a busted zipper and the duvet was hanging out of it all night. That was pretty annoying. We got a great rate fir $169. I wouldn't pay more than that.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed at The Westin for a wedding and had nothing but trouble from beginning to end.

We had three rooms so that means they had three chances to do something right but to no avail. Two of the rooms had bathroom floors that were so dirty my cloth was literally dark grey after I cleaned them. The grout was so dark you couldn't tell that it should've been beige. One bathroom smelled like they either cleaned it with musty smelling water or an old rag. Shutting the door was so nauseating that we were forced to leave it open most of the time. Not pleasant. But the worst of the worst was the bathroom that I show in an attached photo that had brown urine dripping down it in about a 10" drip on the back of the toilet seat and that was when the room was supposedly cleaned and inspected for a check in.

I called the front desk and they sent up the Housekeeping Supervisor to the room with the urine on the toilet seat. He and I talked about the seat and the dirty floors and he called a cleaning crew up to reclean it. He asked if the other two rooms needed to be recleaned but I had already done it myself so I declined the offer. Remember that this is just at check in so this is Day 1.

Day 2 - After they had cleaned the rooms on this day, I returned to beds that all resembled the one in the other photo attached. Some looked worse than this with the bedskirts cockeyed, but all had the sheets hanging down in some fashion as shown here. In one room on the 10th floor, the drapes were coming off their rods so badly that 12" of the right side panel was puddled on the floor. As I went to pull them shut the heavier top curtain began to fall down completely. I called again for someone to come up and pointed out that something was deeply wrong with their housekeeping as exhibited by the urine, the musty smell in the bathroom, the disgusting grout, the messy beds and now this. They sent up a maintenance man who tried to fix the drape, but he said they "really needed to be sewn". Why the housekeeping ladies hadn't pointed that out to someone I do not understand. So try to picture the daily messy beds, the falling drapes, and add in the rest and you're getting the picture.

Day 3 - Rehearsal Dinner Day - so after a long night of events for us, we come back to the rooms at about 10:30 PM and none of our keys worked. We went down to get them rekeyed at which time the young lady at the desk was short and unpleasant to my daughter saying, "it doesn't matter, just give me your key", when my daughter asked what happened. Then my daughter went to her room to find it had not been cleaned at all!! There was no "do not disturb" left on a door, so there was no apparent excuse. I called downstairs and asked for the Manager on Duty. The girl connected me to their other hotel called The Horseshoe when she transferred me. I rattled off the entire story before the girl stopped me and said, "are you at the Westin?" I said Yes, and she explained that she was at The Horseshoe. I hung up, called down again and finally got through to a Manager on Duty AT MY HOTEL! She was very nice but told me that housekeeping had gone home for the night. What was the point of her saying that to me? Just fix the problem, don't tell me your problems. I ended up telling her that my husband would just run some clean towels from our room down to our daughter so she could shower for her 6 AM wakeup to get ready for the wedding that afternoon. Unbelievable!!

Day 3 - Wedding Day - I heard from the mother of the bride that their room had not been cleaned on Friday night. So ours was not an isolated incident, it had gone on in other rooms as well.

Valet parking was another nightmare. They would say the car would be up in 15 min or less but that never happened. We always waited after we went downstairs.

And the walls are paper thin. I was woken up at 2 AM one night and I thought the group was outside my door laughing and yelling. I went outside into the hall to find that they were 2 doors down on the opposite side of the hall but yet they were as loud to me as if they were outside in the hall. Oh, and I had earplugs in and still heard all that!!

Now I will tell you that they sent up champagne and chocolate covered cherries to all three of our rooms on Day 3. And while that was appreciated, it was far too little too late! I should have left the moment I saw the urine, but I thought I needed to stay with the wedding party to make things easier. Otherwise I would've been gone immediately.

My warning to others is to stay somewhere else. I had the pleasure of staying at the 21C Museum Hotel on my first night in Cincy and it was amazing. It is a bit more pricey, but please trust me that it is worth it! The Westin needs some serious revamping of their housekeeping staff and supervisors. Problems like this come from the top!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Charleston, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just left the Westin today, and the hotel is exquisite. The location is downtown Cincinnati, so there are lots of things to experience. As for the hotel itself, the beds are amazing, showers have good water pressure, and the robes are to die for. The only negative comments I have about this hotel is the walls were paper thin, and there were no toiltetres provided besides mouthwash and soap. I think for 250 a night, everything should be included. Also the room service prices are ridiculous, just FYI--a bowl of cereal is twelve dollars!

• Stayed October 2013
Cleveland, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I travel a lot for work and often find myself in Cincinnati. I can't imagine sending my business to another hotel. The staff is great, the accommodations are very nice and the location can't be beat. I highly recommend this hotel to any guest traveling to Cincinnati.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I've been staying at Westin properties across the country over the past few weeks (work roadtrip) and have found the quality of the hotels at which I've stayed to be highly variable. The Westin Cincinnati is at the bottom of the heap. The hotel itself is decent - large rooms, in reasonable condition and centrally located in the city. However, the service has been very lacking. Here are a few highlights:

- I've received 2 work shipments during my stay here and while I received (signed) delivery confirmations from USPS and FedEx in both cases, the hotel claimed not to have received the shipments.
- Yesterday, I used the valet and asked the bell hop to bring up some valuable merchandise to my room. I waited, and waited, and waited. 45 minutes later I went back down to the entryway to see what was going on. Much to my surprise, the car hadn't been moved and the merchandise (ipads, etc) had been orphaned / left on their own.
- There's a nightclub across the street that plays loud music until 2:30am. A colleague of mine called the front desk in the middle of the night to inquire about the noise and they acknowledged that they frequently get complaints but can't really do anything. So my colleagues actually emailed the nightclub itself (at 1:00 am) and believe it or not, they responded immediately, saying they have a great relationship with the Westin and do their best to limit the noise for guests. They mentioned that they would turn down the base on the music to limit the noise. Only after that interaction did the hotel offer to change my colleagues' room.
- I called down yesterday to inquire about when I needed to leave the hotel in order to catch a 10:45 flight. The woman who answered told me the drive was 25 mins and that I'd be ok if I left at 10am. So I pointed out that that would only leave me 20 mins to get through security, check-in and board. Much to my amazement, she said that would be enough time!

Anyhow, this place is pretty disappointing. I'd avoid it if you can.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
jcharlton, Manager at The Westin Cincinnati, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review in regards to your recent stay at the Westin Cincinnati. Please accept our sincere apologies for the less than first class service that you received while with us. Your feedback has been shared with our key department managers and will be used as a learning tool to ensure the defects you encountered due not recur moving forward. I would appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns personally and can be contacted at jeff.charlton@westin.com. Stay well.
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Pros:
- I love the beds, I always snuggle into their heavenly embrace. I also really like the fragrance of the toiletries they offer in the bathroom.
- If I get a room facing the Fountain Square side, the view is much better than facing the other way.
- Location, location, location: because of this, its easy to either just go for a walk to relax or explore the downtown area, or have a good meal. Currently, there is a Fedex/office supplies store on the first floor, and "Ingredients" if I get hungry and am on the run (though I haven't tried it). Its also within walking distance to the office, and I usually like to walk around instead of taking a cab.
- I also am a member of Starwood, so the points also count if I stay at this hotel
- Internet is fast and good for 3 devices, but its not free..you will have to pay for it unless there is an arrangement with a company that it will be waived

Cons:
- layout may be confusing to a first timer...you have to get up the escalator to go to the reception area to check-in
- elevator is tucked in a corner, so if you are huffing and puffing with your luggages, you probably need somebody else's help
- last time I stayed, unfortunately due to their being full, they said they could not accommodate my staying for 1 day out of the 8 days I stayed...which is weird, because for another officemate, they were able to find a way for her to stay on that day, but not on a Saturday, but they did find a way later...

Room Tip: Ask for Fountain Square side room, and usually you will get a good sleep unless there is some public...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I recently stayed at The Westin because the Hilton which my husband and I normally stay for business was booked, during this trip I took ill and was in so much pain that I laid in the bed all day. The housekeeper Denise I believe her name is unaware I was in the room at her time of cleaning apologize for not knowing I was there, I simply said "I'm not feeling well" she clean the room and hope me well. To my amazing surprise less then 15 mins later I had a knock on my door with tea and cookies beautifully place on a tray complimentary of the hotel.
Its with tears that I write this because it was such a pleasure and a surprise to know that it's not just about business and that the Westin truly practice what they preach about taking care of their guest. Just the mention that I was not feeling well this housekeeper who I know consider a friend made sure I was attended to.. we some times fuss about the little things but isn't nice to know that at the Westin its never little when it comes to their guest being happy... The manager was great and i'm so thankful I was on the floor with Denise... You got it right this time Westin and since my husband and I have to be in Cincinnati every week on business you will always have my business.. thank you again for a memorable stay

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Cincinnati? Share your experiences!