“Memorable experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 85 attractions in Cincinnati
Type: Gardens, Zoos
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: This second oldest zoo in the U.S., considered one of the best in the country, is most renowned for its endangered species and birthing programs, particularly for gorillas and white tigers, and has a wonderful collection of felines and a delightful manatees exhibit.
Corydon, Indiana
14 attraction reviews
“Memorable experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The zoo was a beautiful exhibit of animals and plants. Many species were on exhibit and different varieties as well. I've been to many zoos but this was particularly exceptional. A wonderful family experience and worth the admission rate.

Visited October 2012

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 attraction reviews
“Love the zoo in April”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I just love the zoo in April. The flowers blooming is just beautiful. We have been members for 6 years now. The zoo has really made some great improvements in the past year. I really look forward to seeing the new Africa Savannah exhibit opening this summer.

Redwood City, California
55 attraction reviews
“Best Zoo we ever visited”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The landscaping here is amazing. The tulip beds were in full bloom and were amazing creations. The animals all look healthy and were quite active the day we were including the reptiles, which sometimes you never see move. The gorillas were a highlight of the zoo, magnificent animals. There is a large assortment of types of animals. Food inside the park was good. As someone else noted you can even get a beer with your pizza. Good place for kids. things are down at their level to see. The shows are a bit tricky, so decide what you'd like to see. My wife was disappointed when we missed the cheetah show, which is only done once a day.

Vicco, KY
6 attraction reviews
“Family Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Loved the spring blooms! The zoo was absolutely beautiful with all the tulips. I could go on and on about this zoo, but I'll simply say it is a must see especially when all the beautiful flowers are out. Overall, it is just pleasing to the eyes. The animals are amazing. I love the terrain. It's not just a big piece of flat land. My one and only major complaint is with a rude concession employee. If you go early, take change. We bought drinks when we arrived at 10:30am and the concession did not have change for $100. Not a big deal unless you do not have anything smaller...our case. The man at the concession was rude in my opinion. It wasn't a big deal to us. We were simply going to go to another stand or come back later, but he kept saying that it was early and that they wouldn't have change this early. He gave us the drinks, but he seemed irritated that we didn't have anything smaller. Other than him, all the employees were extremely friendly.

Indianapolis, Indiana
3 attraction reviews
“Good family friendly adventure.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We have visited several zoos in the country (Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota). This zoo tops it all. I was very impressed with the zoo in many areas.(1) Kids love this place especially the Cheetah run. It was one of a kind experience. Make sure you check out the timings before you decide if you want to turn left or right when you enter. If you go left, you may enjoy the Gorilla encounter;we chose right because my kids wanted to see the Cheetah's run at top speed and close proximity. It was worth the money. (2) We enjoyed seeing the Giraffes at 2-3 feet proximity. The view is top down. You will see the animals from a tall tower/deck so that you can see the Giraffe's feeding. In most zoos, you have to look up and can barely see what the Giraffe's do. It was amazing to learn that their tongue is purple ! (3) The staff seemed pretty friendly. They would talk about the animals to the visitors and my kids enjoyed asking questions. (4) Take a cooler with some water bottles (water pressure at the fountains is not that great and some don't work) and food. There are some places to sit down and eat. I believe we stopped by the Rhino area and ate our lunch. (5) Easy to find zoo parking. Just pay attention to the streets and you can find your way to the parking. I read some reviews where folks could not find parking. They just need to pay atttention to the roads. It is bit of a walk which is typical when you go to a zoo. (6) The zoo is very windy with lot of uphills/downhills. Take breaks and go slow. It took us an entire day and we probably saw 60-70% of the animals/birds. It is definitely a 2-day adventure if you have the time. (7) Buy the tickets online and save a few bucks. (8) My kids enjoyed watching the Polar bear swim, Lions and Bears sleeping, Manatees swimming. (9) It was neat to see the leaf cutting ants work their way through the glass tubes. I can't remember which building. The butterfly exhibit was not all that great but the kids liked it. There are some neat and unusual animals in the reptile section. (10) Make sure you plan your visit and see the animals that interest your kids the most. My kids (ages 18 mo-7 yrs) were tired after 2-3 hours and were cranky. We followed the route. This may not be the best way to visit if you have little kids. Overall, it was well worth the money but our legs and feet hurt !