“A beautifully curated collection” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cincinnati Art Museum

Cincinnati Art Museum
953 Eden Park Dr, Cincinnati, OH 45202 (Mount Adams)
513-639-2995
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 131 things to do in Cincinnati
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the most prestigious art museums in the country, with over 100,000 works of art, this grandiose building atop an Eden Park hill, is well-known for its 19th-century European and American paintings, but also contains numerous other works including an outstanding pottery gallery.
Toronto, Canada
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“A beautifully curated collection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

If you're passing through Cincinnati, don't miss the chance to explore this fine old museum, where the art of visitor friendliness illuminates every gallery. You enter through an eclectic display of the museum's greatest treasures, which range from a splendid Gainsborough portrait to an African sculpture of the sort that inspired Picasso. Icons give you the option to discover esthetically or thematically related works as you tour the collection (we didn't have time to do this, but what a thoughtful idea). The explanatory panels in the galleries are down-to-earth but never condescending. This museum's Monet and Matisse may not rank with the world's finest, but you'll make discoveries there whether you know you love art or are still on the fence. My own discoveries include Grant Wood's inspired satirical painting of Daughters of the American Revolution and the expressive portraits of Frank Duveneck, a Kentucky-born artist new to me. Highlights:Duveneck's arresting portrait of his wife, who died soon after their marriage, and the tomb ornament he created for her as a first-time sculptor. You'll be touched by their story.

• Turkish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Beautiful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I am not originally from Cincinnnati and when I first moved here I would spend afternoons getting to know the city and found myself wondering the art museum from time to time. it is such a beautiful and peaceful place! Having lunch out in the courtyard is wonderful. I knew as soon as my now husband asked me to marry him that it would be the perfect place for our wedding....and it was! Guests still compliment us on how beautiful our venue was. The staff was great leading up to the wedding but could have been better the night of the wedding...had a few things not done as previously discussed but overall it was amazing! I recomend visiting the museum one afternoon....great place!

Visited September 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“One of the BEST”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

One of the best and oldest art museums in the country. Take the whole day! There's that much to see. And the cafe has a great courtyard you can eat in during warm weather - or just look at in the winter. Also has great traveling exhibits!

Visited September 2012
Taylor Mill, Kentucky
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Loved that we could wander with our guide and really get to enjoywhat we wanted to. There was nothing I did not like. It was all beautiful. Everytime you go you see something new.

Visited January 2013
Alexandria, Kentucky, United States
4 attraction reviews
“A real gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

A different experience every time you visit. Each time we visit we concentrate on just one section of the museum so that we can fully enjoy it and take it all in.

Been to Cincinnati Art Museum? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Cincinnati Art Museum, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.