“Dead Sea Scrolls Exhibit, April 2013” 4 of 5 stars

+1 513-287-7000
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 87 Attractions in Cincinnati
Type: History Museums, Natural History Museums, Children's Museums, Science Museums
Activities: Arts and crafts
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: For a four-in-one educational experience, you can't beat this complex of three museums and OMNIMAX Theater housed in a beautifully restored Art Deco train station. Cincinnati Museum Center houses the Cincinnati History Museum, the Museum of Natural History & Science, the Duke Energy Children's Museum, the Robert D. Lindner Family OMNIMAX Theatre, the Cincinnati History Library and Archives and special exhibition space.
Silsbee, Texas
4 attraction reviews
“Dead Sea Scrolls Exhibit, April 2013”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I visited the Cincinnati Museum to view the Dead Sea Scrolls.

The exhibit itself was very interesting. However, they had different tour groups coming in spaced apart at only 10 minutes each.

The drive getting into the parking lot was backed up nearly to the street and after waiting in line to pay the $6 parking fee we were told the Dead Sea Scroll was sold out and wasn't available for another 4 hours. So my husband and I went in and bought the tickets for the next available tour and left and came back about 3 hours later for the tour. I definitely recommend buying the tickets online or early if you plan to visit.

The exhibit was so crowded you could hardly even get around the circular exhibit of Dead Sea Scrolls. In fact because of the crowding, my husband wasn't physically able to stand and walk around the length of time it took to see the Scrolls. He actually found a bench to sit down on while I made my way around the exhibit. And I would like to add there was not a beginning or ending line to the exhibit itself. You just sort of kindly pushed your way into the line of people around the Scrolls. Whichever scroll you started looking at, you just made your way around until you reached your starting point, wherever that was.

I thought $23 each was a bit pricey, but then there aren't many people who can say they have seen the Dead Sea Scrolls in person.

And at the end of our tour, the escalator going UP wasn't working, so both my husband and I had to take the stairs back up, which was physically taxing to say the least on my husband.

By the lake in Indiana
16 attraction reviews
“Enjoyed two of the three parts we visited.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great Art Deco building - we really enjoyed the transportation part which also included a miniature town, a salute to the Armed Forces and old machines. Also enjoyed the Imax. Not too keen on the third part, which I don't remember much about as we skimmed thru in about 15 minutes. It seemed more geared towards young children, so if you have a young family, it would be much better.

Visited September 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Behind the scenes look at a gem in our city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I took the Sat morning tour of the Union Terminal in Cincinnati, Ohio. While the rail travel era in the midwest has passed; the offices and ticketing areas are well preserved. The history of the building being, it's being comissioned, and fight to keep it from being bulldozed. Share this treasure with your family and friends. Check out the museums while your in the building.

Visited September 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
6 attraction reviews
“red sea scrolls”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

very interesting exhibit, good background/perspective on the history...but set aside a few hours - the layout is totally "linear" and you'll spend a lot of time just waiting for the people in front of you

Louisville, Kentucky
57 attraction reviews
“Always a Great Way to Spend a day in Cincinnati”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We spent a day touring their special "Dead Sea Scrolls" exhibit. It was specatular! Learned a lot about the history of Isreal and their people plus the story of the scrolls.

Awsome to see a 2,000 year old copt of the 10 commandments!

Since we had to wait to get into the Dead Sea Scroll exhibit we saw their City museum and their natural History museums as well, Very good!

Great day trip!