“Helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in Cincinnati
Dallas, Texas
“Helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

I have stayed at Sprinhill Suites before so knew what to expect room wise. I like having a separate sitting area and a fridge and microwave. When I checked in the staff recommended some restuarants that deliver as I wanted to order in. Monday morning I dropped a diamond earring down my bathroom sink drain so I was very releived that they hotel sent someone to retrieve it for me promptly. They were kind enough to call my cell and give me the good news. There are a lot of restaurants, mostly chains, and a Whole Foods within a short drive. A good spot for a business traveller as the desk is a decent size and the wireless is reliable

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

If you are a regular Marriott customer like me, you know the different brand names within the Marriott family. JW Mariott is among the top, Fairfield Inns are the value brand. Springhill Suites are supposed to be a notch above the Fairfield. I have a sneaking suspicion that this site was a Fairfield at one time and now it is has been upgraded to a Springhill Suite.

The problem is that no one seems to have told the staff that the expectation is a little higher. Here are some of the issues:
1) lots of carpet stains in common area. Elevator was very dirty.
2) Fitness Center was ok (2 Lifefitness Treads, 1 Lifefitness elliptical, 1 recumbent bike. Free weights). All equipment was working, but the fitness room was a little grungy, no towels, wipes, tv remote.
3) breakfast area was very small. Food offering very limited. They ran out of oatmeal all the days we stayed. Use instant packets if it is too much to serve hot oatmeal. (When we asked, we got a gruff, "no oatmeal", even though the brown sugar and raisins were still out.) Breakfast staff comes across as unmotivated to help guests.

On the positive note, room was clean and comfortable. Front desk staff was awesome. The price was very fair. Location was very convenient for what we needed. Room was quiet!

I think this place has a lot of potential. I hate to be very direct about it, but these fixes should be straight forward. Work on cleaning the common areas. Coach your breakfast staff that they represent the hotel and when they look unmotivated, it is very blatant to guests.

I liked the stay. Just want to see a little more effort so we don't feel like we are staying at. Motel 6.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I was here as part of a large group this weekend and I was generally impressed with the hotel. The bed was comfortable and the room was spacious. The hotel was surrounded by shopping centers and restaurants. It's located right off the interstate, but the sound was never an issue. My room was clean and had adequate supplies of everything I needed. The only issue was that the WiFi could have been a bit stronger.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Family trip to the Cincinnati zoo was slightly a let down due to the lack of upkeep of this Marriott. We stayed for 2 nights only because it was too late to pack and go home. The indoor pool and hot tub were tied in temperature of teeth chattering and that was key in passing up way nicer more conveiently located hotels and after a long day at the Zoo a major let down both days the hot tub was "having technical issues " as numerous people in the lobby area were voicing their dissatisfying opinion were verifying we werent the only ones who was lured in with the promise of a relaxing hot tub to finish off the day. I myself called manager and was gave the option of one whole extended hour until checkout from noon until one for compensation. I asked why I would want to stay when the ammenaties weren't what was advertised upon booking. Upgrade your maintenance staff or turn on the hot tub heater or drain them and make a skate park.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Burlington, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Just spent 5 nights here on a business trip - with 2 colleagues.
Pluses: Front desk staff, very friendly helpful and accommodating
Free Breakfast was adequate with several choices. Free WIFI was excellent. Rooms were very large, with 2 beds, and a lounge area and sofa bed - but not particularly cheap
Negatives: this suites hotel is tucked away off fields ertel drive about 1 mile from the shopping area behind a Lexus dealership in a remote business park. This means it's pretty impossible to walk to somewhere to eat - (especiallyfor a female at nigh). Ironically though, the hotel is located above, but still very close to the HWY - and the soundproofing of the windows was dreadful. On the 2nd night i got wet feet due to the aircon/window leaking in some way. Front desk were quick to relocate me - but i had noticed a musty smell in the room earlier and it's likely that this leaking was a longstanding issue. Room cleaning was mediocre - coffee pot and garbage not collected some days, and the fridge was the noisiest I've every encountered. Assume it is good value if you are filling the suite up with a family - but for a single traveller, i feel we could have done better.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed in this hotel about 6 years ago BEFORE the renovation and stayed again the weekend of August 24, 2012. Big difference! Back then, the wallpaper was peeling, the rooms smelled like mold and the lobby had cracked tiles.

Fast forward to last weekend, lobby was gorgeous and very clean. Reminded me of chain hotels in Germany. Breakfast was included in the price of the room and consisted of fruit, yogurt, toast, muffins, eggs, oatmeal, juice, coffee, cold cereal, sausages, jams, jellies, etc. Bed was very comfortable and linens were exceptionally clean. Nice, big TV, small sitting area with updated furniture (including a pull out couch). There was a mini fridge and coffee maker in the room. Big walk in closet off of the bathroom but no in-room safe (no big deal for me). Odd that there wasn't a fan in the bathroom, but I see that a lot of folks had that same complaint as well. The hair dryer is not mounted to the wall but instead it was on a shelf in the walk in closet, so you just have to look for it. AC unit is not the sort you crank up and down. There is a thermostat on the wall that you control your temperature with.

Employees were helpful and dressed well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor if you want to try and get away from the highway noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed in a two double bed with our 8 and 7 year old. We found the carpet in good condition and the room updated. Booked with AAA rate.
There didn't seem to be a fan in the bathroom, we thought that was strange. That being said we didn't bring it up to hotel, so it might not be fair to mark down for this.
The breakfast had a variety of choices and we were pleased with it. Our visit was during the summer, the option of the outdoor pool and indoor pool was nice. The only problem was the indoor pool area was really hot for those of us sitting out of the water and watching kids. They needed some fans or moving air for those days when it is hot outside.

We peeked in at the Drury and first impression was that it was really nice and we thought next time we might stay there. That being said I believe we would have paid an additional $30 a night. I think for the price range we were looking into this was a good deal and the hotel was fine.
It was a quick trip to Great American Ballpark and we liked that about the location.

The staff seemed quick to respond to our inquiries and needs.

Also there was no big sign coming off the main road, we weren't sure even when we got to Waterstone that the hotel was on the road.

Overall I wouldn't be afraid to recommend this to families who are watching their budget.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to SpringHill Suites Cincinnati Northeast? Share your experiences!