“Then and Now” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 49 Hotels in Cincinnati
Cincinnati
“Then and Now”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed in this hotel about 6 years ago BEFORE the renovation and stayed again the weekend of August 24, 2012. Big difference! Back then, the wallpaper was peeling, the rooms smelled like mold and the lobby had cracked tiles.

Fast forward to last weekend, lobby was gorgeous and very clean. Reminded me of chain hotels in Germany. Breakfast was included in the price of the room and consisted of fruit, yogurt, toast, muffins, eggs, oatmeal, juice, coffee, cold cereal, sausages, jams, jellies, etc. Bed was very comfortable and linens were exceptionally clean. Nice, big TV, small sitting area with updated furniture (including a pull out couch). There was a mini fridge and coffee maker in the room. Big walk in closet off of the bathroom but no in-room safe (no big deal for me). Odd that there wasn't a fan in the bathroom, but I see that a lot of folks had that same complaint as well. The hair dryer is not mounted to the wall but instead it was on a shelf in the walk in closet, so you just have to look for it. AC unit is not the sort you crank up and down. There is a thermostat on the wall that you control your temperature with.

Employees were helpful and dressed well.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor if you want to try and get away from the highway noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We stayed in a two double bed with our 8 and 7 year old. We found the carpet in good condition and the room updated. Booked with AAA rate.
There didn't seem to be a fan in the bathroom, we thought that was strange. That being said we didn't bring it up to hotel, so it might not be fair to mark down for this.
The breakfast had a variety of choices and we were pleased with it. Our visit was during the summer, the option of the outdoor pool and indoor pool was nice. The only problem was the indoor pool area was really hot for those of us sitting out of the water and watching kids. They needed some fans or moving air for those days when it is hot outside.

We peeked in at the Drury and first impression was that it was really nice and we thought next time we might stay there. That being said I believe we would have paid an additional $30 a night. I think for the price range we were looking into this was a good deal and the hotel was fine.
It was a quick trip to Great American Ballpark and we liked that about the location.

The staff seemed quick to respond to our inquiries and needs.

Also there was no big sign coming off the main road, we weren't sure even when we got to Waterstone that the hotel was on the road.

Overall I wouldn't be afraid to recommend this to families who are watching their budget.

Brook Park, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We typically have had great experiences with Springhill Suites. While this one is not terrible, there were a few things that made this stay less than perfect. The cons: difficult to find the drive to get in, not marked very well. The highway noise is terrible. The windows are so thin you hear everything. We have stayed at plenty of hotels near highways, and I have never heard the traffic as much as here. There also was some mold in the bathroom on the wallpaper. No extra blankets available, sheets would not stay put on the beds. Pros:The staff was quite polite, It was convenient to Kings Island.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

First of all, we are loyal Marriott customers--and I am both disgusted and disappointed with Marriott Corp. for allowing a mess like this to be a part of their chains. At 116.00 a night, we should have a room that does NOT have the scent of dampness. The small fridge in the room should be in working order. The bed linens should NOT be ripped. The toilet, on which I place my delicate rear, should NOT be scratched. The tiles should be clean. The free breakfast that is advertised isn't even dog-food worthy! I have had better coffee on airline flights--and THAT is bad! I think, based on the clientele, this place could be doubling as a bordello as well! I had a feeling we were in trouble when we arrived and there was no sign on the small road leading us on here. Please do not stay here--listen to me--please! I rarely write an unfavorable review because my motto is " if you have nothing nice to say...don't say it at all". This case is different -- run to another hotel-this is the worst of the worst!

• Stayed August 2012
Paintsville, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Hotel is very clean and quiet. Included free buffet breakfast. I loved the complimentary Paul Mitchell hair products instead of the usual generic hotel things. Bed was very comfy. Air conditioned was cold and quiet. Located in a quiet tree lined forestry area that happened to be a hop and a jump to shopping. Loved the whole experience.

• Stayed July 2012
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Desk clerk could not give me directions from the highway to find hotel, breakfast was gross- fake eggs and gray rubber sausage. Breakfast lady was super nice. No towels in pool area- asked at desk and was given hand towels to use- seriously- a hand towel! Run down and dirty- I would not recommend.

Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Room was clean, pull-out sofa awful to sleep on, but aren't they all? Pool and hot tub clean. Fitness room small but in good working order. Nice breakfast. So why did I rate "poor?" Fist off, you can't find the place. It is on a side street behind a strip mall and has no street front sign. Then, on our first night, just as my teenage daughters and I were settling in, two men we did not know opened our door with a key card. The desk clerk had given them cards to the wrong room without asking for ID or looking on the computer. Scary. The guys apparently just asked for the wrong room, but we ended up missing an ihome stereo by the end of our stay so it makes me wonder... The last night, we came back to our room late at night to find it had not been cleaned at all. When I just wanted to sleep, I had to stay up & take out the trash and gather up the dirty towels while the desk clerk brought us new trash can liners and towels. We still ended up sleeping on dirty bed sheets. Breakfast our last morning was frustrating as they were out of so many items, including plates and bowls, well before the scheduled stop time.

I addressed all of my concerns to the front desk at checkout, and they offered me a free night on a return visit, but who would want to go back to a place they didn't enjoy staying in???

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cincinnati
TownePlace Suites Cincinnati Northeast
Comfort Inn Northeast
#20 of 49 in Cincinnati
4.0 of 5 stars 207 reviews
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cincinnati Mason

Been to SpringHill Suites Cincinnati Northeast? Share your experiences!