“Frustrating experience” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 49 hotels in Cincinnati
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Frustrating experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Room was clean, pull-out sofa awful to sleep on, but aren't they all? Pool and hot tub clean. Fitness room small but in good working order. Nice breakfast. So why did I rate "poor?" Fist off, you can't find the place. It is on a side street behind a strip mall and has no street front sign. Then, on our first night, just as my teenage daughters and I were settling in, two men we did not know opened our door with a key card. The desk clerk had given them cards to the wrong room without asking for ID or looking on the computer. Scary. The guys apparently just asked for the wrong room, but we ended up missing an ihome stereo by the end of our stay so it makes me wonder... The last night, we came back to our room late at night to find it had not been cleaned at all. When I just wanted to sleep, I had to stay up & take out the trash and gather up the dirty towels while the desk clerk brought us new trash can liners and towels. We still ended up sleeping on dirty bed sheets. Breakfast our last morning was frustrating as they were out of so many items, including plates and bowls, well before the scheduled stop time.

I addressed all of my concerns to the front desk at checkout, and they offered me a free night on a return visit, but who would want to go back to a place they didn't enjoy staying in???

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Pittsburgh, Pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Nice, clean rooms. Right near the exit although a little confusing to get to at first as it is behind a mall. Staff was frindly and helpful and big clean room that was very comfortable for our stop as we traveled south. Good breakfast ... lited as Continental but had eggs and sausage as well as a a waffle making station.

• Stayed June 2012
co
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Staff is very friendly and helpful, a cut above this sort of property.

I've stayed here a number of times over the years, and anymore the ownership just seems to be going through the motions.

Hot breakfast? Day after day, year after year, the same grey rubbery sausage patties- always.
Fresh fruit? Sometimes yes, sometimes not.
Staying for two or three days in a row? Don't count on having any fresh bed linen- they'll just make your beds with the same.
Room microwave? Antique, extra low power
Slow wireless

I'm afraid the property has lost goodwill over the years. Refresh would definitely be in order. Just ok, just barely.

Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

This is an older facility and it is starting to show wear. The fitness center is ok and there is no wifi in the rooms. This is 2012 and most lower end hotels at least have wifi. As mentioned I other reviews the hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. This was my second time at this location and I stayed here as I wanted to be fairly close to the bicycle trails. I'm not sure if I will return as the noise fom the interstate can be very loud even when staying in rooms towards the opposite side of the interstate.

Nonetheless, it served my immediate needs, but it could definitely use some updating.

Stayed March 2012
Berea, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

This facility is nice, but not quite on par with what we are accustomed to when staying with Marriott. Although the lobby has recently been renovated...and quite nicely, I might add...the rooms are a little tired. Carpet is beginning to fray at threshholds and wallpaper is curling in several places.

Overall, our room was very clean with one horrific and grotesque exception! I am referring to dried urine on the toilet seat and a single pubic hair in the same spot. Truly disturbing!

Beyond that, sheets were clean and very soft. Beds were very comfortable and towels were both soft and plentiful. Also, the couch and chairs were very clean--unlike furniture in many other hotels (NOT Marriott) where one is tempted to put a towel down before having a seat!

As often happens in SpringHill Suites, the TV is oddly located between the living and sleeping areas making viewing from either place slightly awkward, though it's not really troubling.

I am not a fan of having the sink located outside the toilet and shower area, but that is the layout at this facility.

Be warned--NO WiFi in rooms, though is it available in public areas and meeting rooms.

The breakfast area was exceptionally clean and well-attended. Indeed, the woman taking care of things was so thorough it seemed each time someone took a fork or spoon from the bin she replaced it! Food was nothing remarkable but WAS plentiful. There is also a waffle-maker..my personal favourite!

Finally, the staff members were all most gracious and helpful.

Overall, I would stay here again, but would hope the rooms were updated AND, most importantly, that the cleaning staff double-checked the toilet before pronouncing a room clean!

HINT: This facility is located well off the beaten track. GPS would be helpful in finding it!
HINT: There is NO WiFi in the rooms, though wired access is available.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Ashburn, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012 via mobile

I travel to this part on Cincinnati at least once a year and tried this hotel for the first time, based upon the Marriott affiliation and location. I was given one of the handicap accessible rooms, although I don't need it. The room was clean but in need of an update.
My room faced I-71 and there was a lot of road noise. In addion te hotel is a little difficult to locate without turn by turn dieections.
In the bathroom the accessible shower head rod came out of the wall. Not a big problem for me, but I am somewhat concerned for someone with disabilities. I mentioned it to the staff and they were apologetic and expressed their mutual concern.
The staff was very friendly and appropriately attentive. All in all not bad but there are newer properties in the same area in the same price range. It probably is worth spending the additional money unless you are staying for the free breakfast or Marriott points.

• Stayed March 2012
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stayed at the Springhill Suites during President's weekend (mid February). We stayed in the two double bed room. There was also a pull out couch which we did not use. The beds were very comfortable for us, but they were soft, maybe too soft for some people if you need a firm mattress. Plenty of pillows. The bathroom sink is outside the actual bathroom, with only the tub and toilet inside. There was a mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker and separarate "kitchen" sink, which was nice. It seemed very clean, to me. The pool was very small, but my two kids (ages 12 and 8) liked it. There was also an whirlpool, which we did not use. The breakfast area was smallish, but well stocked. There were two ladies who were continuously re-stocking and cleaning. They were very nice and helpful. The staff overall were very helpful. There were two soccer teams staying at the hotel, and I didn't hear them at all from our room. I think the staff placed the "regular" guests far away from them. The biggest problem with this hotel is the location. It is difficult to find. I don't think that I would have found it without the GPS. It is back behind the Target and Costco. The sign for the entrance is hard to see, and set back from the road. Also, the kids complained about the limited TV channels. No Disney channel! (the horror!)
Overall, it was very good, just bring your GPS, especially if you are arriving at night.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to SpringHill Suites Cincinnati Northeast? Share your experiences!