“Wonderful Valentine's Day” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 114 Restaurants in Walla Walla
Cuisines: American
Description: Our award-winning chefs don't just craft flavorful, picture-perfect dishes at The Marc Restaurant, they also creates memorable experiences that will expand your palate, engage your senses and get you excited about food. Recently awarded "Restaurant of the Year" by the Washington State Wine Commission, The Marc Restaurant offers a fresh twist on Pacific Northwest Cuisine. The culinary staff works diligently to bring the best of what is in season right from the farm to your table by building relationships with local and regional growers. From the micro-greens grown in-house to the breads and pastries made fresh in the kitchen, a dining experience at The Marc is an encounter with the incredible and an event you'll long remember.
Kennewick, Washington
“Wonderful Valentine's Day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

My friend and I went to the Marc for Valentine's Day. I will admit, I am not a foodie and have pretty pedestrian tastes, but occasionally I like to go to a nice restaurant and have something different.

We entered the Marc from the street, which made it a little confusing on where to go for being seated. The hostess stand is by the entrace to the hotel. We were seated and our waiter was Mark. He was an absolute gem throughout the night, very knowledgeable about the food and gave the best service I have ever had.

A basket of different types of breads was brought out, along with a dipping oil and vinegar and som plum butter. The plum butter was great and I loved the thin cracker type bread.

Mark brought us an amuse bouche. Can't remember quite what was in it other than goat cheese, but neither one of us liked it. We ordered the pork belly flat bread appetizer. The flat bread was fabulous, with the duck egg, pork belly and arugula.

Both of us ordered the Walla Walla winter onion soup. It was fantastic, my friend saying it was the best onion soup she has ever had. I didn't finish mine, because I did not want to be too full for my dinner.

For dinner I ordered the Scottish salmon and my friend ordered the filet of beef. I tried the beef and while I don't like sweet sauces on beef or fish, the beef was so tender it melted in my mouth. I also tried the blue mountain mushroom ragout that came with the beef, and it was really good!

My salmon had a sweet glaze to it, which I don't prefer but it was good, and the salmon was cooked to perfection! The butter bean ragout was delicious, although I was pretty full when I tried it. I was going to avoid eating the kale, since in my experience it is always kind of bitter and nasty tasting. I decided to try it when my friend said she loved hers, and I am so glad I did! The kale was surprisingly good!

I definitely plan on coming back, especially when they change to the summer menu. I can't wait to see what the chef can do with all the wonderful fruits we have in our region!

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Seattle, Washington
“Delicious Food! Excellent service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

First time at this restaurant - overnight stay on our way to Oregon. Not only was the food excellent, it was beautifully presented and perfectly cooked. Our server, Mark C., was very helpful with making our choices, including our wine. We both had steaks and they were cooked perfectly.

Visited February 2014
Seattle, Washington
“Food yes; olive oil no”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

My wife and I are retired, so we can afford to splurge once a year on a nice dinner. The Marc at the Marcus Whitman Hotel in Walla Walla, Washington, had a February Foodie special for $85 each, plus tax and tip, featuring Dunham Cellars wines. We invested $230 in what we expected to be an excellent dinner in the supposedly best restaurant in Walla Walla. (OK, it’s not Seattle!) An interesting bread basket is delivered, and then a young lady pours some balsamic and olive oil on a plate. The olive oil is translucent, and after one taste, I knew it is something for cooking, not for dipping. Even we poor retired folk might have read the book Extra Virginity and purchased olive oil at Trader Joes and Whole Foods or tasted the exquisite olive oils from producers in California like Lucero; we know what good olive oil should taste like, and this stuff at The Marc is pedestrian at best. My protests are duly noted by our waiter, Mark (an excellent name for one working at The Marc).
Maybe this low rent olive oil is a ploy, lowering our expectations, because the rest of the dinner is superb. I have never had a better lamb dish, and I am old with plenty of experience, my wife being a lamb enthusiast with a Moroccan and Greek inclination. Mark is a professional and engaging waiter, and each course is artfully presented. The wines, though none of the Walla Walla AVA which one might expect on a trip to the Walla Walla Valley, are good, even the surprising red with the scallops. We would invest again at a dinner in The Marc and expect them to upgrade the quality of the dipping olive oil.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bellevue, Washington
“The Vineyard Lounge Bartenders Rock!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Yes, you've dined at the Marc. But did you visit the Vineyard Lounge?
At the VL bar you can chat with locals and tourists alike - all who share a love for Walla Walla and its environs. I adore visiting the Vineyard Lounge bar for all the people: the bartenders there make me feel at ease, the waiters visit with you kindly on their way to and from the kitchen, and each of the customers has a unique reason for being there and is happy to share it if asked.
Bartender Casey envelopes you with his Southern charm and stories from his worldly travels and experiences. Bartender Matt treats you to Northwest flavor and flair. And on a rare night you might even get Bartender Mark whose polite demeanor masks his mixology prowess.
Sweet cocktails are not my thing so each time I visit I ask for the "Trust" cocktail, and each bartender has delivered a truly unique drink, matched to the night's mood and my personality. Just last weekend I visited the bar for the company and was bemoaning the fact that I could eat but not drink since I was nursing a cold. Sure enough, both Casey and Mark rose to the challenge - Casey with a beautiful warm citrus gin held in a goblet and Mark with a clever thimble-sized tonic with no less than 8 ingredients. My cold didn't stand a chance - it was gone before I left the Vineyard.
If you leave Walla Walla without visiting the Vineyard Lounge, even if only to cozy up to the fireplace in their hidden room, you are truly missing the very heart of the town.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Walla Walla, Washington
“Try Mondays first, then add the other days.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

We have a long, frequent history here, and our experiences get better and better. This chef is restless: always on the move ahead. This week we had the salmon and the rockfish: EACH was superb! Matt Sample, often behind the bar, or helping out ad lib, is eager yet assured and helpful. Britney, too, is nurture itself on the wait staff.

• Visited January 2014