“Vicksburg after the storm- nice place to be” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 32 hotels in Vicksburg
Texas, USA
“Vicksburg after the storm- nice place to be”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Checked into the hotel right after a violent storm had blown through town. Most of the area was without power, but the Holiday Inn was up. The staff was very apologetic about the situation and explained up front that no TV or WiFi was available yet. Nice quiet place off I-20 and very near the discount malls and Cracker Barrel. Sunday morning the breakfast room was packed, but the food was good and plentiful. Recommend it when visiting the Battlefield Museum or area.

Room Tip: Parking can be tight. Try to get a spot near the side or rear doors for easy access.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Plano, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

We only stayed one night, but we were very pleased and would stay again if we are ever in Vicksburg again. The hotel is located near Vicksburg National Park, a must see if you're in Vicksburg. Also easy highway acess.

• Stayed June 2013
Covington, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

We stopped for one night on our way home from a vacation. The staff was helpful. They even had a "guest reception" that night that included fajitas, chips, salsa, wine, and drinks. Room was very clean and had everything we needed. We enjoyed the fitness center which included fresh towels. Breakfast was good, too.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Staff friendly , room nice, only reason didn't give it 5 stars, because an old banana and bell pepper had been left in the fridge, otherwise everyone was very nice, clean room, nice breakfast, room very quite . We got a room on the first floor which made it very nice to move it and out.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Shreveport, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here overnight while traveling back to Shreveport. Hotel was nice, staff was very courteous. Bar closed as soon as I got there at 9pm. It is worth noting I had made a last minute reservation here a week prior when traveling through and got a call 30 min later from the hotel saying they actually had no rooms. Overall met expectations on this stay though.

• Stayed February 2013
Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were in Vicksburg for a wedding and the block of rooms had been reserved here. My husband and I arrived a day earlier than the other guests to do the military park, etc. The food and bed were so bad here, we cancelled our second night AND the reservations of our immediate family who had not yet arrived, and moved all of us across the street to the LaQuinta, where we proceeded to have a very nice stay for the same price.

The Good

The staff was very friendly (I interacted with 4 different people). The rooms were clean.

The Bad

The cable is snowy as if you're watching with old rabbit ears; there's no channel directory provided and you can barely read the TV Guide channel because of the snow. The elevator is slower than molasses. Gaudy decor.

The Ugly

My husband and I both served in Iraq and Afghanistan and we both agreed that the food and the beds overseas were better than this hotel.

First, the bed. The springs in the bed poked us throughout the night. I woke up feeling black and blue all over. I've had occasion to sleep on a 30 year old mattress and that's exactly what this bed felt like. My 4" foam pad in Afghanistan laid on a sheet of plywood was more comfortable than this - it didn't stab me throughout the night.

Next, the breakfast. This was a junk food breakfast. There was practically nothing available that wasn't processed within an inch of its life: sugary instant oatmeal, sugary cereal, high cal muffins, gloppy gravy for biscuits. In an attempt to be healthy, I tried the "omelet." I've eaten a good amount of powdered eggs and otherwise shelf-stable eggs in my day, but these "omelets" were awful. An egg product was formed into a pancake shape with a slice of American cheese shoved in the middle, served at room temp. Needless to say, I did not finish it. There was no fresh fruit available; I grudgingly settled for a cup of full fat, full cal yogurt.

I know swearing off all Holiday Inns is a bit dramatic, but I simply don't care to throw away money. Holiday Inn obviously has a corporate culture where uncomfortable mattresses and junk food are ok, and that's not worth my money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
HotelStaff39180, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vicksburg, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Anonymous980,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback for the Holiday Inn Express & Suites. I agree with many of your points of dissatisfaction. I would like to let you know that we have an improvement project already on the books for the upcoming months. We will updating the decor as well as getting all new mattresses. I have already implemented healthier food options for the breakfast bar. I apologize that your stay wasn't what you expected and we are working hard to make improvements. We would love for you to give us another shot next time you are in Vicksburg. If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.

Thank you!
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

An early check-in request was accommodated and we received directions to find the nearby Battlefield Park (and getting out of town the next day as well). A newer hotel with nice décor, clean room with nice appointments as well as fridge and microwave, good breakfast. The fifth star is not granted this time because my preferred membership was completely ignored (usually worth a few goodies), but mostly because the staff just could not produce a smile. Everything was done rather perfunctory.

Room Tip: The main thoroughfare in front of the hotel lies below it, so no traffic noise seems to impair the a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Vicksburg? Share your experiences!