“Consistantly great experience.” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Vicksburg, Mississippi, United States
“Consistantly great experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Great value. Good food at reasonable prices. The service is always friendly and courteous. It's one of our favorites for getting together with other adults and a super place to take the family. (They will happily make a picky eater a kid quesadilla.) My favorite is the Carnitas, but I've never had anything I didn't like.
The building and decor are fantastic. There is gorgeous brick and stonework and Telavera tiles and ceramics everywhere - even a little shrine to San Martin and Our Lady of Guadelupe.
We will just keep going for lunch and dinner

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Drogheda
“Good Food & Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We were a fairly large group, but the restaurant sorted us out a large table quickly, even though the place seemed busy. The chips were warm and fresh, and the food that followed was excellent. I had the Mexican Parrilla which included shrimp and chorizo. The waiters were friendly and prompt and refilled everyone's glasses promptly. Decor is nice too.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nebraska
“Decent Mexican food in Mississippi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

El Sombrero gets an "A" for decor as well as for the food. They have a wide variety of choices with all the typical standard Mexican choices as well as a few of their own concoctions. Service was attentive and quick, the waiter friendly, and warm chips and fresh salsa were in front of us as soon as we sat down. This is a good choice while in Vicksburg if you have a taste for Mexican style food. My only complaint and it's not the staffs fault is why do they still allow smoking in restaurants in Mississippi?

Visited November 2013
New Orleans, LA
“Great Guacamole - Horrible margarita”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Never thought I would say this, but there are bad margaritas in this world and I finally found one. I saw El Sombrero from the road, couldn't miss it with all the bright, colorful lights. All day I planned and waited for dinner. When I walked in, not much of a greeting, was taken to the closest empty table and left there, right behind the bar. The waiter approached and asked if I wanted a drink and a basket of chips with salsa was brought immediately. I placed my ordered for guacamole dip and my entree, a steak fajita. At first sip, I thought the margarita needed a good squeeze of lime, so I tried that, then a little bit of salt. Nothing was going to save this drink. The fajita was good, tender steak and soft onions. The side salad was lots crisp shredded lettuce with finely chopped tomatoes. There was a good dollop of sour cream and guacamole to top the steak. Just as I was finishing the man at the next table lit up a cigarette and ruined the rest of the visit. Not being from Mississippi, I was not aware that folks could smoke in restaurants or I would have asked for a non-smoking section. The waiter brought my check without asking if I wanted dessert. It looks like it would be a fun place on a weekend, the food was good, if I went back and got a bad drink, I would send it back, and certainly would make sure I was in a non-smoking section.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Shoreham, New York
“Nicely Decorated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

All I can say it was nicely decorated and that may be the only thing authentic here. Food was obviously fresh without a doubt but escapes any flavor, just very very bland. One suggestion maybe is to use the spices that they have on the table for their chips in the food preparation. Found this spice shaker to late to save my burritos unfortunately. The staff was courteous and pleasant and the food was served quickly.

• Visited October 2013