“Beautiful Historic Home and Friendly Host” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Great Valley House of Valley Forge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Valley Forge
Great Valley House of Valley Forge
You added Great Valley House of Valley Forge to your Saves list
1475 West Swedesford Road, Valley Forge, PA 19355   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Valley Forge B&B and Inns
Bloomingdale, New Jersey
“Beautiful Historic Home and Friendly Host”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Great Valley House for the second time on March 29, 2008. We booked the same room we'd stayed in before, the Rose and Grey Room, because we loved it so much the first time we stayed there about two years ago. We couldn't wait to get back to the house, which is beautiful and inviting, with its stone walkway, wide front porch and twinkling gold lights decorating the exterior.

We checked in around 5PM and were escorted to our room (we'd received the house tour during our first trip) after some pleasant conversation and reminiscing about our first stay. Pattye was as always very warm and inviting and happy to have us stay with her. We are both vegans (vegetarians that abstain from the consumption and use of all animal products) and she was sure to go over our restrictions with us right away so that she would be able to accomodate us the next morning at breakfast.

The room, which is on its own floor and is very private and quiet, was as beautiful as ever, with a gorgeous ceiling-canopied queen bed and tasteful furnishings and decorations placed around the room. It was spacious and comfortable and we felt very much at home. As some other reviewers have mentioned, it is slightly chilly at night during the winter, but thanks to the very warm, large comforter and quilt on the bed we didn't feel the cold at all once we were tucked in. We were not at all put off by the temperature, as the house is, as mentioned on the website, 300 years old! Personally, I would rather sacrifice a few degrees in temperature than have the owners of this beautiful property tear down the walls to install modern insulation.

We showered before going out for dinner, and although it did take a few moments for the water to warm up to our desired temperature, we had no problems with fluctuating temperatures during the shower. We were provided with many large and fluffy towels as well as cruelty-free shampoo and conditioner, which we appreciated very much. The bathroom is not large, as it was obviously not original to the house and had to be added later, but it was as tastefully decorated and cozy as the rest of our room. We also loved the sink converted from an old Singer sewing machine.

We had a very restful and cozy night's sleep and enjoyed a delicious vegan breakfast of bagels, jam, fruit, tea and juice the next morning in the grand old kitchen/dining area. The historic feel of the home is most evident in this room, with the date "1812" carved on the mantle above the hearth. With a warm, crackling fire to accompany the pleasant conversation we had with Pattye, we couldn't have enjoyed our breakfast more!

After our meal we regretfully packed up our things and said goodbye to the house and to Pattye, with a promise of course to return as soon as we could. We will definitely keep that promise!

• Liked — Beautiful and historic home, friendly, warm, accomodating host
  • Disliked — Not being able to stay forever!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
OldHistoryLover
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2007

We were looking for a quiet getaway and the Great Valley House provided just the place. From the stone walls, wonderful antiques, great breakfasts - this was a real treat! We enjoyed the peace and quiet and the warm welcoming personality of the innkeeper. In a world of cell phones and emails, this 300-yr. old house brings back memories of long ag. Thank you and we will be back!

Stayed October 2007
Southside Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

We stay in many B&B's. In fact, Great Valley House was the 3rd inn we had stayed in over a 2 week period. As others have said, the house is a historic home in Valley Forge, PA. When you pull into the drive, there are no directions as to where to go. The only options we saw was a garage door with a clear path and a small walkway overgrown with bushes. Luckily, we chose correctly and took the walkway. The house is extremely cluttered and I do mean extremely cluttered. Our room was large, but again cluttered to the point that there was no place to set anything on a table, etc. We were to have a private bath which ended up located in the hall. That's fine, but the small trickle of water which made up the shower with the water temp changing according to who else in the house was using water was not. Neither were the selection of bath products availabe for use. All had either been used before or worse yet, were from other chain hotels, such as Holiday Inn..the names clearly printed on the products. My worse problem with the inn was that our room and bath were not clean. Our breakfast was poor and our innkeeper a little too consumed with herself and not her guests. What a shame. This historic home, if left simple and true to the period in which it was built, would have been lovely.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2007

I was in the area on business and I wanted to enjoy some of the local history of Valley Forge. A friend of mine recommended that I stay at the Great Valley House of Valley Forge, a 300-yr. old bed & breakfast in Malvern, PA. In addition to being incredibly convenient for work -- the place is on 4 acres w/swimming pool. It was much more than I expected. The owner was quite helpful with directions and a local resturant map. When I told my business associates at work about the breakfasts - they were certainly jealous! Not your typical hotel food. I stayed 3 days and enjoyed 3 different breakfasts - apple blintzes, southwest souffle and great french toast. I will certainly recommend this place to my friends and I intent to come back when in the area!

• Liked — Historic Bed & Breakfast
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lansing, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2007

A beautiful old house, but invisible under the owner's sprawling collections of dolls, quilts, toys and other knick-knacks. There's a particularly chilling collection of mannequins dressed in wedding gowns in one of the front parlors. The owner herself was overbearing, patronizing and passive-agressive. We like to stay at B&Bs and enjoy making conversation over the breakfast table with new acquaintances, but at the Great Valley House we felt imprisoned in our seats while the owner boasted loudly about her house, her antiques, even her daughter's musical skills. Politely telling her that we had an agenda for the day (and couldn't wait to get out of the dimly lit, overcrowded kitchen) was always met with stiff disapproval and disappointment. I have never felt so uncomfortable in any establishment before.

The rooms themselves are rather nice, although equally crammed with toys and quilts. We had specially requested the room with en-suite bath tub, only to be told when we arrived that the owner specifically bans use of the tub for baths -- strictly showers only.

This is a historic, 17th century house with a great deal of charm. The breakfast foods were creative and well-cooked (though note: you eat what you're given -- the menu is whatever the owner feels like cooking) and the rooms were fairly spacious. However, the manner of the owner and the tremendous amount of clutter far outweigh any advantages to staying at the Great Valley House.

• Liked — The historic nature of the house
  • Disliked — The owner and her frightening mannequins
  • Stayed March 2005, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2005

This was a perfect location and a beautiful, historical house. I was the only guest for two mid-week nights (although it was sold out the next weekend). As with the other review, I must agree that it was a little chilly - especially in the bathroom. The owner - who was friendly enough and for the most part left me alone - did warn me that the water needs to heat for a few moments (and also asked that I not let it run too long, as they have a well). I spent very little time in the common areas as I had the rest of the house to myself and my room was very welcoming. The original part of the house - where you eat breakfast (which wasn't nearly what it could or should have been) - was pretty neat, particularly the fireplace.

But ... the entire house could have been cleaner. A lot cleaner. Particularly the breakfast room. Cluttered, dusty, just yucky. Common areas, too. My room had lots of dust. Shame, too, because it was a beautiful room.

• Stayed December 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2002

I gave my in-laws a "gift" of a weekend at the Great Valley House. Check-in time is 3pm, and because they weren't sure exactly how long the ride would be, they arrived about 15 minutes early. They tried the bell, then went and sat in the car. A few minutes later the owner came out and asked, in a very unfriendly way, what they wanted. They explained they were early, and received a grudging, "Well, as long as you're here, you may as well come in." The owner never displayed the warmth and friendliness that most B&B innkeepers show, and they wondered why she was even in the business! Add to that the fact that that the water in the shower was never warm enough for them to take a shower, the fact that she "trashed" a local restaurant because "their portions are too big", and the fact that the bathrooms were also very cold, and the fact that this is a historially interesting spot couldn't compete. We're all used to making compromises at historic inns, but unfriendly service and cold water shouldn't have to be among those.

Been to Great Valley House of Valley Forge? Share your experiences!