“Fun and Safe Dive Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waikiki Diving Center

Waikiki Diving Center
424 Nahua Street, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)
808.922.2121
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #171 of 355 Activities in Honolulu
Type: Water sports, Adventure
Michigan
8 attraction reviews
“Fun and Safe Dive Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I completed two dives with Waikiki Diving Center one year ago and contacted one of their divemasters as soon as I purchased my airfare to Oahu. They have moderate sized dive boats that are in very good condition. The staff is very friendly, helpful, and accommodating to their dive guests. Mike and Vera were the divemasters on our dives and were very adept at finding interesting marine life during the dives. Mike found an octopus on each dive, as well as a small white tipped reef shark and a frog fish, which is very rare and difficult to find on a reef. They provide plenty of water on the boat and help divers with removing fins before you climb up the ladder to get back on the boat. Waikiki Diving Center provides a diver with a very fun and safe experience. I will be certain to contact them again when I return to the island.

Visited October 2013

Vancouver BC Canada
20 attraction reviews
“No Water?????”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I have been sitting on this one for a couple of weeks as I have mixed emotions. On one hand, they are super nice people and generally do a ok job. On every dive boat I have been on, there is ALWAYS copious quantities of water on hand, as well as snacks to eat between the two dives. Bear in mind that dehydration is a key risk factor for getting DCS - aka the bends. Dive boats get you drinking water well before the first dive, and importantly, between the two dives. On our first day of diving in the first week of Aug there was NO WATER on board - not one drop, A Cardinal sin on a dive boat. Somebody left the water behind. We were dying of thirst and I felt quite dehydrated. I could tell the boat Captain was quite annoyed with his divemasters for forgetting the water. Hey I have made mistakes too, so we give them another try a day or two later. This time there is MINIMAL water on board! The only reason they did not run out is that half the boat brought their own. I did and a bottle of gatorade - I learned my lesson the first time. I don't need bottled water - a large cooler jug of tap water will do, but you have to have lots of water on a dive boat. No between dive snacks either. You need to step up your game on the snacks front, and never ever again have a dive boat void of fresh water.........Really, how could this happen on a professional dive boat? One bad day, ok it happens, but the second day with minimal water? Come on guys, I know you can do better.

Visited August 2013
Marion, Illinois
4 attraction reviews
“Best Dive Shop in O'ahu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I started diving at Waikiki Diving Center on 8 June 2013 and was OW Certified the next day. Morgan is a great instructor taking his time to ensure he turned first timers into solid divers. I continued training with the shop getting my AOWC and Rescue Diver and their team provided a flexible schedule to fit around my M-F work week. But if you are a first timer and have the chance before he leaves request Morgan and certify to allow yourself to be introduce to the best way to spend a day in O'ahu!

Gracie was very kind in sharing knowledge on how to take care of our equipment. Shawn is entertaining and always finds cool aqua life to point out. Eric and Marco always try to outdo each other with their frog fish dance. The team as a whole is what makes this the best dive shop in O'ahu. Video of one of many dives with this group https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0iej-WBflo

Great shop and they will do their best to make sure your dive is the best time each in every time.

Visited June 2013
Geraldton, Australia
“Only Shop Ill Dive With”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Waikiki Dive shop might be small, a little disorganized at times but they have something that most of the shops in the Waikiki area do not have and that is a sense of Ohana (family if you dont speak Hawaiian). I have spent the summer diving with them while I was here for training for my above water job and have gone from never diving to becoming one of the newest Dive Masters with PADI. I have had a chance to dive with just about everyone who works at the shop to include the two owners as well as ride out on both the Snoopy 5 (which will handle up to 14+ people) and the Submariner (their small one that will handle up to 8) piloted by all the captains the shop employs.

My first experience would have been my last I believe had I dove with any other dive shop if it werent for the experience, professionalism and caring of the dive instructors that took me out work on my certification for OW. I freaked the hell out because the very thought of being underwater breathing through my mouth was so foreign to me. My instructor Morgan allowed me to take time away from the group just to relax and get comfortable while he continued to work with the others, and during that time I practiced my mask skills where i could stand in the water. I returned to the group and through his encouragement I completed my initial confined water training and moved on to the boat, where yes I freaked out again (remember smiling underwater is highly discouraged as it tends to break the seal when you breathe in). Again, Morgan helped me relax and I completed my skills and havent looked back.

I have had the opportunity to dive with Nick (owner), Chris (owner), Eric, Marco, Shawn, Gracie, Emanualle, Amanda, Morgan, Mike, and Bob and they have all gone out of their way to pass their knowledge and experience on to any and all who they dive with, whether they are certified or its their first time in the water.

Ty, Glenn, and Cody are the usual boat captains that get you from dock to mooring and assist you into and out of the water and make sure you are ready to go. They dont have a problem talking to you and telling a story or two while they drive the boat.

I have been to the 3 wreck sites many times (Corsair, SeaTiger, YO 257/San Pedro) and have always seen something new, though the SeaTiger is still my favorite. I have seen marine life that you normally only get the chance to see in an Aquarium up close and personal and it has been Awesome!! These guys will do what they can to make sure you enjoy your time underwater, whether its pointing out sharks, turtles, morays, or doing the frog fish dance when they find a frog fish. If you dive a couple of times and you have seen the regulars who hang out under the sea, you will start to look for yourself and be surprised what you find. Shawn is a walking fish book, well he's a walking Iphone app that covers everything to might see under water.

I realize my review is a bit long but then again so was my diving experience (71 dives to date) with my new ohana at Waikiki Dive Shop and I wouldnt change that experience for anything. Are they the brightest and shiniest dive shop out there, no, but they more than make up for it with the crew of personnel working there and you really wont find a better group to go with to get your feet wet.

Visited August 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Best Dive Shop in Honolulu!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I decided to go Scuba Diving with Waikiki Diving Center for my Birthday weekend and I was in for a treat! Click on the link below of the video I took during our dive and just about one minute into the video when I'm taking a close up video of the coral you will hear the Whales singing! I thought that was sooo awesome and I tell everyone that they were singing Happy Birthday to me!!! YouTube link (copy and paste into your browser):

The staff is very friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. Their main goal is to provide safety, fun, adventure, and great memories! Thank you WDC for a great time!

Visited March 2013