“The big open secret you need to know” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rainbow Scuba Hawaii

Rainbow Scuba Hawaii
1125 Ala Moana Blvd, Slip A13, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96814 (Ala Moana - Kakaako)
+1 808-224-7857
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 355 Activities in Honolulu
Type: Water sports, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Honolulu's scuba diving price leader featuring quality boat diving charters for beginner first time scuba divers or advanced divers! PADI Scuba certification instruction. Experience Hawaii shipwrecks and turtle reefs 7 days a week aboard our catamaran. 100% safety record, Waikiki beach hotel pick up, and Free underwater photos!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
New York
“The big open secret you need to know”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2009

is that all the scuba operators in Hawaii operate as a big cartel, fixing prices across the board so they make huge margins off unsuspecting tourists. Most scuba schools take 3 to 4 days to get you certified - you need to plough through a 250 page PADI textbook and do a bunch of drills in the swimming pool. This is all a waste of time because a) most of the stuff in the textbook is fluff and b) swimming pool conditions are hardly an accurate simulation for open water conditions. Ken (from Rainbow Scuba) doesn't waste your time. My first day of class he puts me in a wetsuit with all the gear and throws me into the sea. At first I think I am going to drown, but quickly realise that this is the best way to learn. He was patient, extremely knowledgeable (as can be seen from other reviews) and entertaining with his French jokes. We learnt the basics very quickly as scuba is the sort of thing you need to do practically as opposed to read about theoretically.

The other thing you need to consider is price. Most places will list their prices for the PADI open diver course as $350 to $450, and this may or may not include the price for books, equipment rental, "admin fees" or whatever other charges they can slap on you. Ken's prices are way below that and the number he quotes you includes everything, No hidden charges.

Basically, if you want to do business with a honest guy and get PADI certified in one and a half days (which is all you need, really), then Ken is your man. Knowledgeable, weird sense of humour and no [--]

Vancouver, BC
“Highly Recommended if you're in Honolulu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

I took my PADI Open Water certification course with Ken on January 10th and I have nothing but good things to say about the entire experience.

Compared with other dive companies in Honolulu, Rainbow Scuba offered the best price at $325.

Ken was great right from the start. He picked me up from my hotel each day. He is very patient and has a great sense of humor so you feel completely at ease around him and can focus on learning to dive. He's great to dive with because you can see that he's stoked on it. You get the feeling that he's not just there to collect your money, but that he takes pride in a job well done. He made the learning process interesting and takes the time to ensure that you understand the essentials.

During the course, we had some amazing boat dives with plenty of fish, coral and sea turtles. It was cool to get certified and check out some amazing sites at the same time. The boat was well set up for diving and the staff were friendly and helpful.

I'd highly recommend Rainbow Scuba to anyone traveling to Honolulu, regardless of your experience as a diver. Ken is a solid guy and I'll be sure to dive with him again the next time I'm on Oahu.

san diego
“Best Scuba Dive outfit in Oahu!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

Ken at Rainbow Scuba has by far the best deal for scuba diving in Oahu and all of Hawaii for that matter. Unbelievable rates - $85 including all gear for a 2 tank boat dive. He is courteous, professional, makes you feel comfortable from the get go.

He picked me up at my hotel in Waikiki right on time, and we had a fast efficient outing, 4 hours round trip (7 am - 11 am). We had a nice catamaran boat and Ken set everything up, a very smooth operation. We went to the Sea Tiger shipwreck, about 90 feet down and it was fantastic. Ken took a bunch of pictures and one of the best features of his shop (besides the AMAZING price) is he generously posts all the photos on www.rainbowscuba.com using the flicker server. And he keeps them there long enough for anyone to finish their vacation and go home and download later on. All for free.

I left my sunglasses behind by accident and Ken called everyone to find out who they belonged to and even offered to drive over at night to my hotel to drop it off. Its this type of top notch service that is unparalleled anywhere else. Honestly, it was one of the best dive experiences I've ever had. Ken also took us through the shipwreck safely and made me feel comfortable about it.

I went to Maui after Oahu and paid $172 for a 2 tank boat dive including gear from Lahaina Divers. And then they wanted $60 for a ridiculous CD of the pictures. It was a complete ripoff. Yes, they had a nice boat and we went to Lanai island (amazing dive also), but the price was more than double and no photos.

Rainbow Scuba on Oahu is simply the best dive shop and has BY FAR the best prices around. I don't know why all vacationers don't go to his shop. Maybe they don't know, but should, so spread the word!!

-Andy from San Diego

CALGARY
“Excellent diving in Oahu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

We just finished a day of diving with Ken at Rainbow Scuba and must tell everyone the experience was fantastic. I am a seasoned diver and Alex is new to Scuba. Ken is an excellent host and guide and if you have any hesitation about diving in Oahu (I was a Cayman resident), no worry...incredible sealife and great visibility even on a cloudy windy day.
i was really surprised how great the day was and thanks to Ken for providing safe, fun, memorable scuba memories...We WILL be back to see you next year Ken! thanks again
Robert and Alex
Calgary Canada

cflowin
“AMAZING!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

Ken is absolutely the best scuba instructor for first timers. He tells you everything you need to know and takes things at your pace. He oozes happiness which makes you happy too! As a first time scuba diver I was definitely nervous before even stepping on the boat. Ken tells you only 2 rules that you have to follow in order to have a fun and safe time scuba diving and honestly that's all you need to know. He cuts out all the other BS and guides you as you go. He'll answer any/all questions for you always with a smile. Ken makes Rainbow Scuba the best in Hawaii hands down.