“Great deal for the price, small issues” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aqua Skyline at Island Colony

Save Saved
You added Aqua Skyline at Island Colony to your Saves list
Aqua Skyline at Island Colony
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   445 Seaside Ave, Waikiki Beach, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Formerly Aqua Island Colony)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now and Save 15%!
Ranked #47 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Farmington, New Mexico
“Great deal for the price, small issues”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

First of all, we booked directly through the hotel website and got a great rate...especially considering the astronomical prices of hotel rooms in Waikiki. I think we paid something like $130/night including all taxes, fees, etc. To be honest, before arriving, I was a little scared that it might be a "you get what you pay for" kind of experience. We arrived late at night, and our airport shuttle dropped us in the alley (more of an issue with the shuttle drivers than the hotel), so I was afraid my fears were being realized. However, once we were in the room, I was pleasantly surprised. The furnishings are updated and clean, even though you can see the traces of the older shell of the room (door fixtures, layers of paint). There is a kitchen area that provides dishes, pots and pans, a sink, microwave, coffee maker, etc. The room has an old fashioned wall/window type air conditioner that is quite noisy, so if you are a light sleeper or not used to such sounds, that may be an issue. Our room was not on one of the high levels (I think we were in the middle), so our view was not fantastic or of the ocean (overlooked the canal and golf course), but we didn't really care. It was high enough to be quiet! The bathroom is tiny, but manageable. So, there were a few small issues: the key cards kept becoming deactivated, which required multiple trips to the lobby; the concierge was less than friendly/helpful (isn't that his job?) but the front desk staff were very friendly; the lobby mysteriously smelled like garbage sometimes; our room was not cleaned one day; the A/C was noisy; the other rooms at our level were privately owned vacation rentals, which was kind of weird. They offer free replacement items (toothbrush, sewing kit, etc.), but when I asked for a sewing kit around 8:30 pm to fix an item of clothing that ripped, they said that housekeeping provides those items, and they had already left for the day. Overall, the issues were small and didn't make us regret our decision to stay at this hotel. However, it appears from other reviews that not all rooms at this hotel are created equal, and I can believe that. I think we were lucky.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian K, Manager at Aqua Skyline at Island Colony, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Aloha,
Thank you for writing a review of the Aqua Skyline at Island Colony. Our recent property and room renovations have taken us to new heights and it appears that besides the minor issues, you enjoyed your stay. Our affordable property has all that a guest needs. The kitchenettes are popular because of the stove and microwave and we also all you need to cook and dine from the room. Our friendly front desk staff is always here to serve you and we look forward to serving you again. I would though, like to hear about the minor issues you endured, please email me bkovaloff@aquaresorts.com to discuss further with me.

170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My family and I made reservations to stay at the Aqua Skyline Hotel on June 12 & 13. We reserved 3 rooms. We were very unhappy with the experience for the following reasons:

1) Pool & Jacuzzi were both SHUT DOWN
a. We were not told of this to have the opportunity to potentially book at another location
b. No mention of this at check in
c. We learned about this when we went to the pool itself
d. No options at other properties made
e. In JUNE? In Hawaii?
f. How could this NOT be a priority clean up

2) We did not know this hotel was also a rental property so there are people who are NOT travelers mixed with guests – very odd and there were lots of very “different” types of people coming and going and intermingled with guests on floors. This gives unknown individuals access to guests. Extremely unsettling.

3) The air conditioners are outdated and had BUCKETS which would fill with water
a. The buckets overfilled and water was spread ALL OVER THE TILE BALCONY
b. My adult son slipped and fell on his backside on the balcony
c. The bucket in our room overfilled twice and required my husband to have to carry the bucket into the room, empty and replace.
d. All buckets required the maids to empty
e. NO ONE said anything when we checked in of this condition – WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN WARNED. There are no signs or messages on the balcony or sliding glass door

4) All the card keys for ALL the rooms kept demagnetizing, this required several trips.

This is all unacceptable conditions and seems to be contrary to all the promises of the type of experience we were promised. We were very unhappy and wish that the Aqua Colony Skyline was not at all proactive in advising us to mitigate any of the above conditions. We could have moved and made other arrangements. This was not an inexpensive trip or set of reservations and we were very let down.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
Aloha,
Thank you for sharing your Skyline experience with our online viewers.
It is unfortunate but due to a safety issue, the pool area was shut down for cleaning and maintenance. It was re-opened once the extensive clean up was done. As for the other issues you've experienced, please contact me directly at bkovaloff@aquaresorts.com so we can discuss further.
We look forward to the opportunity of serving you again in the very near future.

Miinnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Over the last several years this hotel has been updated, painted and updated. Our room was much nicer and more stylish than the old room we had last year. New mattresses were good. The room safe is included in the price at this hotel. Bathroom, while nice, is small. I would prefer my space in the main room, so a small bathroom is fine with me. The bathroom was all new except for the bath tub, but everything is nice, clean and new. The shower head is different, a big square "rain" type. It was nice, but I'm not going to put one in my house.

The location is either good or bad depending what you want. It's as quiet as it gets in Waikiki, not too loud. It's a bit of a walk to the beach, but not bad. One block you are in the center of Waikiki. In room internet is new, was fast and all three of us used it at the same time with no issues. The one problem we had, and it seems to be common everywhere is getting enough towels. Check in we had three sets for three people. Some days we had two sets and had to call. Never got replacements for the kitchen towels. I know all I had to call to get more, but it got old after a while. It wasn't every day, but it was too often. That was my only complaint. (minor). The whole hotel is very nice, in a basic kind of way, not like a newer mega resort in Las Vegas. Was I glad to stay here: yes. Will I come back next year? Don't know. The price increases have been huge in the last few years and to be honest, Waikiki isn't as nice or as affordable as it used to be. But that is another issue.

Prices are way up this year in Waikiki. Not just this hotel, but cheap eats are hard to find.

Room Tip: Read the website and choose the view and size you want.
Aloha,
Thank you for writing a review of the Aqua Skyline at Island Colony. We are glad you were able to experience the new Aqua Skyline, our recent upgrades and room renovations have taken us to new heights.
We look forward to serving you again in the very near future.

Guam, Mariana Islands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My best friend and I were transiting and we stayed for one night and loved the room for the low price I paid. Great location, great view, and comfortable beds! What more can I ask for. Walking distance to Waikiki Beach and great places to eat every where. Can walk out and catch the city bus easily. Definitely a satisfying experience that was worth every penny. :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to write a stellar review of the Aqua Skyline at Island Colony. It's great to hear that we exceeded your expectations and would look forward to the chance of serving you again in the very near future. Our location is superb, right in the middle of Waikiki near many shops. restaurants and just a few blocks from the beach.
Please call us directly when you are ready to book again.

Earth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The pros first :
The views from upper floors are beautiful, day and night.
The hotel's location is good, right in the city center.
The hotel is located in a quiet street.
The front desk staff is efficient, friendly and really willing to help, but the owner's decisions seem to ruin their good intentions.

Now the problems :

Next to front desk there are signs saying there is no parking there, so we entered the hotel's parking in order to check in and found out later that we could park next to front desk. Misleading signs and not unintentionally.
The parking costs 25$ per 24 hours and every time we got out the cashier tried to convince us to prepay for the entire period of our stay at that hotel. Why to prepay if you have the possibility to find free parking outside? What if you change your mind and leave earlier?

In the lobby there are 2 computers but it's not free for guests. In the simplest motel it's free nowadays.

The hotel is a renovated high rise, but cheaply renovated.
We stayed in a suite where the living room's windows were far from being sealed. The wind entering the failed window seal was so noisy that in order to sleep we had to close curtains well, so that they stopped part of the wind from entering from the low quality windows. And the windows were "closed".
The phone's red light in living room was flashing, but there were no instructions on the phone how to listen to the messages. We had to call the front desk and they told us to dial 55. We did so and listened to old messages that were left for former guests. Complete violation of former guests' privacy by that hotel.

In the bedroom, the bed was so close to wall on one side, that I had to stick to wall in order to get in bed. There were only 31cm (12 inch) between bed and wall. On that side of the bed there is nothing : no lamp, no bedside chest, not even a shelf, nothing. The person sleeping in that side doesn't have even where to put the glasses, not to mention reading.
The bed has a prominent frame all around it, which makes you get injured every time you get in or out of bed. Why do they put in such a small bedroom, where on one side there is only a 12 inches space between bed and wall, a bed with a prominent frame? Who is the genius that decided that poor decision?
On bedroom's balcony there was no light at all - no light switch and no lamp.
The phone in our bedroom didn't work.
There is no clock radio in the suite ( basic item in the simplest motel in USA), so you cannot see what time it is at night.
The bedroom's door was terribly squeaky. We couldn't close it at night because every time one of us opened it in order to go to bathroom, the terrible noise waked the other one. It took the maintenance service TWO DAYS to send somebody to grease the door hinge in less than 2 minutes.

In the bathroom, the small shelf for soap above the tub was dirty and long dark hair was hanging from the tap.
Above tub there is a shower with a "forest rain" head, but the water flaw pressure is weak, so all you can feel are scattered drops.
In the wall between bedroom and bathroom there is a window, I can't see why. Every time one of us went to bathroom at night, the light from bathroom waked the other one - one more genius idea.
Noisy ventilation system in bathroom.
There was absolutely no place to put the cloths one takes off before taking a shower, no shelf and not even a hook.
The hair drier was not hanging on the wall although it was made for hanging. It was just on a shelf under the sink and next to the sink there was not enough space for the whole appliance. So I had to take it out of the bathroom , to look for an electric outlet and to use it close to it in a completely uncomfortable way.

The kitchen island's counter top was dirty.
Noisy fridge.

The hotel has trash chutes, one of the trash chutes' doors was next to our suite door and the stench was impossible and penetrated our suite.

Waiting for the elevator took forever. There are only 4 elevators for that huge building, one of them was out of order during all our stay and nobody fixed it.
The elevators are too small for the number of guests that have to use them and there is not enough room for luggage.

Not only tourists stay at that hotel, all kinds of workers and persons actually live there and this hotel is definitely not a place for a woman alone to stay at.

Among all TV channels, there was no weather channel - the most important TV channel for a tourist in Honolulu.

We wasted 3 days of our vacation on getting angry, on conversations with the front desk staff and with the hotel's manager about the endless list of problems and inconveniences we encountered. And they take 325$ (!!!) per night for that outrageous hotel, no breakfast, no free parking, not even free computer for guests.

Mr Brian K - the manager of that hotel, please do not thank me for taking the time to write that, I did it for future potential guests in order to warn them.
And do me a favor, do not offer me to be your guest again. After paying 325$ !!! per night and getting for them so many problems and inconveniences that spoilt our precious vacation, do not expect us to come back, you wouldn't either.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha,
Thank you for writing a review of the Aqua Skyline at Island Colony. We are sorry to hear about your Skyline experience and all concerns have been brought up to the team to see where adjustments/changes can be made. Our recent room renovations have been a success and we would love a chance to serve you again in the very near future. With that said, I would like to hear more in detail about your experience. Please email me at bkovaloff@aquaresorts.com.

Carmel, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We made a reservation based on the price ($140/nt) and the pictures from the hotel website. Had to wait 3 hours before we allowed to see a room. I find it hard to believe that there would be absolutely NO ROOM available before 3pm. I'm quite certain that all the rooms are not all being cleaned at the exact same time. That was the first dissapointment. The second dissapointment was that the pool was closed (I have a 12 year old child). The deal breaker was the room itself. The lanai was great, but couldn't get past the room itself. Just too old and dated. The paint was fresh, but there had been no updating to fixtures and such. So, after waiting for 3 hours and looking at 3 different rooms at Aqua Skyline, I scrambled to find us an acceptable room. We ended up at the Hyatt Regency with an oceanfront view of Waikiki Beach (Hotwire $189/night).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Brian K, Manager at Aqua Skyline at Island Colony, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Aloha,
Thank you for your review. Due to high summer occupancies, we apologize that no rooms were ready prior to 3 p.m. for your viewing. We were also disappointed regarding the pool closure. A recent pool incident caused for the shut down. Cleaning was done to ensure safety for all guests and users. Our recent room renovations have allowed us to update all rooms with new furniture and fixtures. Although you did not stay with us, we invite you to come back and actually spend the night to experience what the Aqua Skyline at Island Colony has to offer.

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed at the Island Colony for over a week in May, booking in a "studio kitchenette" room. My wife & I were very impressed by the newly renovated room & bathroom, which was well styled, comfortable and spacious.
Our room had all the amenities to make our stay comfortable: Coffee-machine/kettle, sofa couch, study table, electronic safe, iron, kitchen facilities (stove, pots & pans), laundry facilities and a veranda. From our room on the 24th floor, we had views of the Waikiki buildings & canal.
The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. At the price we paid we’d definitely stay at the Island Colony again.
Pros:
* New renovated rooms, kitchenette is great for eating in for breakfast or dinner (we get a bit sick of eating out everyday). Big comfortable bed.
* Close to the main attractions on Waikiki beach (under 10mins) and to the shuttle/bus stops (about 5 mins). Being 2 blocks away from Waikiki beach also means that the food & shopping is slightly cheaper!
* Convenience store on level 6 (items cost about 10-15% more than ABC stores, but it’s convenient)
*Individual wifi router in our room (was able to connect 2 phones and 1 tablet to the internet )
*Great value for the price we booked at.

Cons:
*Noise- as more of the building is being converted from condo to hotel rooms, renovation work is ongoing. Unfortunately for us the workers would start work in the room directly above us at 8:30am during weekday mornings, with their hammering, power tools and things being dropped onto the concrete floor. Not ideal for us when we wanted to sleep in. We raised this with the front desk and was offered a room change, though by that point we had spread all our shopping & belongings over the room, making it too difficult to move. I wished they would start renovation work later in the morning considering that it’s a hotel for people on vacation.
*Housekeeping – was a bit average. They did the minimum which was to change the towels, empty bins and tidy the bedsheets. Some days, our coffee & sugar supplies were not replenished. There was also no sweeping/vacuuming done during our 9 day stay, and the floors were getting a bit dirty towards the end.
*Parking is a tad bit expensive at $25 a day, compared to $20 a day at other hotels in the area.

Tips:

If you need to buy bulk groceries there is a large supermarket 2 blocks away (Food Pantry)

Room Tip: Go for a room on level 20 or above, to avoid the street-level noise A/C in the room is a bit noisy
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Aqua Skyline at Island Colony. AS you've experienced, our recent room renovations and property upgrades have been a success and we are happy that you were able to experience Skyline at its best. Our friendly and helpful staff is always ready to serve you and we look forward to you staying with us again in the very near future.

Hotel Manager

Been to Aqua Skyline at Island Colony? Share your experiences!