“nice, quiet place adjacent, but apart from the Waikiki urban core” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lotus Honolulu at Diamond Head

Save Saved
You added Lotus Honolulu at Diamond Head to your Saves list
Lotus Honolulu at Diamond Head
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   2885 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Formerly The Lotus at Diamond Head)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now and Save 20%!
Ranked #4 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Hawaii
“nice, quiet place adjacent, but apart from the Waikiki urban core”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed at Lotus for one night on a Friday night with my Shiba dog due to having the house fumigated. Most everything is as noted in other reviews:

* no on-property restaurant
* only one elevator
* 12 floors with 5 (??) rooms per floor
* small in-room refrigerator
* flat screen HDTV
* cork puller and ice bucket in room
* alarm clock / player with iPod dock.
* location near urban core of Waikiki, but not in it
* wonderful staff
* nice, quiet location adjacent Kapiolani Park
* in-room hardwood floors that seemed rather strange at first
* shower (no soaking bath)
* complimentary wi-fi
* complimentary coffee & tea service in lobby (morning)
* complimentary wine service in lobby (evening)
* beach chairs & towels available for guest use
* cruiser bicycles available for guest use
* valet only parking
* calming 'zen-like' theme throughout hotel

What made this place a great choice for me was that it was pet friendly (I needed a place to stay with my dog) and because it's not in the urban core of Waikiki. The general ambience of the place is more like that of properties in Kaanapali, Maui; as opposed to typical urban core Waikiki hotels.

I think this is a special preference type hotel; not for people with 'big box' hotel (Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt) expectations who need all the associated on-property restaurants, bars, pools, nightclubs, etc.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Joshua G, General Manager at Lotus Honolulu at Diamond Head, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Aloha gmkinhawaii,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Lotus Honolulu. We are delighted to hear that you and your pet had a wonderful and peaceful stay with us. I am pleased to let you know that our restaurant will be open by the end of July. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Mahalo,

Joshua M. Gray

501 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Korean first
Scarborough, Western Australia, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This hotel is a great place to stay to be out of the tourist density. It is quiet and peaceful. The hotel has a sweet little lobby with iced lemon water, complimentary wine in the late afternoon, free apples and breaky and coffee pod machine in room. We went for a great bike ride out of town and it was cool....and yes, free bikes - how good is that! It was only a 15min walk into the heart of the action, and we enjoyed walking in and out. The beds we super comfy, and the staff just lovely. We were very happy campers!

Room Tip: We had the Diamond Head and Ocean View and it was on the 4th floor - so if we want a better view get...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I'm giving the Aqua Lotus 5 stars because I would stay there again without hesitation, not because it was perfect. It's a few minutes' walk from downtown Waikiki -- this may not suit you (whoever you happen to be), but I was fine with it and it means that the Lotus is much quieter than may otherwise be expected of Waikiki hotels. Sunrises in June are blocked from optimal off-the-premium-balcony photography on floors 1-8 by a tree, but there's an open-air fire escape that provides ample photographic opportunity. The property is an older-but-renovated property -- I was satisfied with the state of everything I encountered, ymmv, and (more importantly) wasn't constantly disturbed by A/C or neighbor noise -- and the main restaurant was closed for renovation while I was there. Additionally they had router problems on their wireless guest network for a bit -- but T-Mobile has solid 4G coverage there, so I worked right around it. Their staff is solidly fantastic: friendly, helpful, and accommodating. So, quiet location, reasonable price, great staff, totally acceptable facilities: I'd stay here again and thus give it 5 stars.

Room Tip: The *21 rooms have the view of the Sunrise in June but, as noted, also are blocked by a tree up thro...
Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed at aqua lotus for5nights in June.This was the last stop of our 5week trip to USA.Based on all the reviews on this website I was really looking forward to our stay at Aqua Lotus.This review is an honest review based on the room and service .Check in was at 7pm ,quick, efficient and friendly. Most of the questions were asked by myself and then I found out we were given a room on the 3rd floor,enquired why I didn't get a high floor, was told would be $20 more per night.This information would have been handy when booking.So we decided to see the room before deciding to upgrade.Our room was on level 3 right in front of the laundry and ice room. We agreed to stay in this room just because of the laundry,another big mistake.The ice machine is very noisy and we could hear the noise most of the time.Also this room is a very noisy with noise continuously coming from above and next doors.this was very very annoying.Room was big with 2twin beds, bathroom was old,and toilet blocked a few times.Facilities in room were iron,safe,hair dryer ,coffee machine and fridge-no mini bar which didn't bother us as we never touch things from there.I was very unhappy with our room as it was the lowest level from which rooms are in.level 2 has breakfast which you can purchase, free coffee and tea available from 7am to 10am.Also restaurant opening in July 2013 on level 2.moving to the elevator , what can I say.....14floors and one elevator which takes more then 5minutes to get if you are lucky.we managed to use the stairs on most occasions after waiting more than 5minutes .also note our room had a security alarm sensor,made me worry about security of our room as it could be easily accessed by outsiders as the corridor was open hallways.Our room cleaner was very efficient and did her job really good.Another good point was the coin laundry room which accepts quarters only $1 for wash and $1.50 for dryer,only issue was thy need to be cleaned and serviced regularly as dryer was not working on one selection. I was looking forward to a great end to our holidays at Aqua Lotus, this wasn't the case.We had booked 4months in advance and were looking forward to our stay here.the staff were the friendliest bunch, they helped us with any queries from bus information to shopping mall queries.The staff made our stay very pleasant.

Room Tip: Always on booking make sure you are on higher floors.Level 3 rooms are very noisey
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Flushing, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

...that this hotel didn't have a restaurant. It had a little area on the second floor that was more like a cafe, and they served breakfast (complimentary coffee/tea, bagels, pastries, fresh cut fruit, etc.), but considering the Lotus was a bit of a walk away from the Waikiki hotels (and that the New Otani hotel next door required reservations for their restaurant), I would have had a much more convenient stay during June 2013 if they operated their own restaurant.

I also had a bad experience the first time ordering breakfast here: I walked into the second floor and asked the employee there (a man with short black hair) if this was their restaurant, and he gave me an attitude saying, "This is it!" I already felt put off while ordering a bagel with cream cheese and lox, and when I brought it back to my room, the capers that came along with it was sloppily plopped all over the container. My bagel was wet and soggy. However, a few days later during my stay, I reluctantly entered the second floor again and a nice lady with blonde hair greeted me with a more welcoming attitude and prepared my breakfast much more neatly. I wish I could've met her the first time rather than the other employee.

However, some earlier reviewers mentioned that this hotel is planning to add a restaurant to their facilities, so that will certainly be advantageous to future guests.

Other than that, my stay here was great. I liked that it was away from the main part of Waikiki so that I can enjoy some peace and quiet during the daytime. The staff was always friendly to me and always tried to make conversation like asking me where I've been visiting while I've been in Hawaii, my future plans, and giving me sightseeing suggestions. My room was always clean when I returned to it. Although they don't have any on-site spas or restaurants like the other hotels, I think that they networked very well with an outside massage service called Infinity, and a local food delivery service that provided a dine-out menu to guests. I think these are what have kept costs low for hotel guests; low overhead costs for the hotel. On top of that, the refreshing ice water they provide in the lobby and the complimentary wine between 4pm-6pm are great perks.

One more critical word: the lobby has these lovely sofas that look adorable, but do need a bit of cleaning. I saw a couple of stains on them during my stay. Other than that, the floor is always swept and the facilities look clean.

Room Tip: I recommend always getting at least the ocean view room on a higher floor. The view is really worth...
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Lotus! Our room was much larger than we expected and very comfortable. The staff was friendly and courteous. Everyone seemed to go out of their way to make us comfortable. I cannot recommend this hotel enough! I wouldn't think of staying at any other hotel in Waikiki.

Room Tip: Our room had a fabulous view of Diamond Head and two balconies!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We were very impressed with the Lotus hotel. The rooms were well-appointed, lovely and spacious and had the most beautiful views of Diamond head and the ocean. The staff could not have been more helpful and were quick to advise of all the great services the hotel had to offer including free iced water in the lobby, bikes and towels available to use for free and Wine-o'clock in the lobby. The Lotus is located a short 15-20min walk from Waikiki beach which means it is away from all the busy streets but also means you are not in the centre of the action and may need to walk/bike/taxi to where you want to go each day. A beautiful, small hotel with wonderfully helpful staff.

Room Tip: If you want the best view, ask for a corner room on Diamond Head side - you should then get a full v...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Lotus Honolulu at Diamond Head? Share your experiences!