“Easy walk to beach, great value” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Alana Waikiki

Save Saved
You added DoubleTree by Hilton Alana Waikiki to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Alana Waikiki
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1956 Ala Moana Boulevard, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815-1897   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$169 (USD)
Ranked #49 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Hilo, Hawaii
“Easy walk to beach, great value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

I stayed one night to make an early work related appointment more manageable. The online directions from the airport are easy to follow. It was easy to pull-up and hand my keys over to the valet ($29/day with NO other options...not too atypical for the area). My greeting at the front desk was fantastic and my HHgold got me upgraded from a king room to a penthouse suite. It was FANTASTIC in this instance to have the dining/conference table in my room to spread out and do last minute work. The bed was VERY comfortable and decor was fresh and modern. I had a light meal at the restaurant that night which was perfectly tasty and well priced.
To address the negatives written by previous reviewers- the bath: yes, its slightly small and NOT meant for more than one person BUT I am an average height woman and found there to be no issues with sitting comfortably in the tub. In fact, I really appreciated how deep the tub was and enjoyed having a jacuzzi bath in my room. The shower is also very nice and the shower head is on an aesthetically pleasing sliding rod to fit even the tallest people. The tile scheme was very pleasant and everything was CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN!
Location- its about a 5 minute walk to the start of all the big shopping in Waikiki, a 5 minute walk to the beach, and I felt completely safe walking as a single woman.
Although I enjoyed my upgraded room, I did use a standard room as part of their hospitality suite (so if you have a later flight you can still wash up before heading off) and it was also clean, well decorated and relatively spacious.
The negatives- the pool is a simple but functional pool with plenty of chaise chairs...some of the beachfront places have more creative pools (not a big deal to me...). Its pet friendly WHICH I THINK IS GREAT!!! but there was a yappy dog next door to me. I called once to notify the front desk which did not seem to do much to help the situation. Luckily I was exhausted and the bed was REALLY comfortable....once I was asleep, I slept through the night like a baby (i hardly EVER sleep through an entire night!). For allergy sufferers, I saw firsthand the steam-vac type of industrial machine head into the neighboring room the next day and despite being an animal lover, I am allergic and I had NO issues.
There were a couple of minor hiccups (dog barking/confusion around the hospitality suite) along the way for me but the manager was wonderful at check-out and I am already trying to plan a leisure trip back. Thank you for helping my visit for work run smoothly at a great cost (room price of $119+taxes etc)

Room Tip: From what I saw, they are all quite nice.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here just one night en route to Lana'i. We did not want the Waikiki Beach scene, just a nice place to stay between flights. The hotel does not have it's own airport shuttle, so you have to either take a taxi for $35-$40 or one of the shuttles for about $9 per person. We opted for a taxi because it was late, then were in terrible Friday night traffic. Upshot is, next time I would stay near the airport. But the Doubletree is a lovely hotel and cheaper than the mega beachfront properties. You can still walk down the block to the beach. We paid $119 for two queen beds.
The room was newly redecorated and very attractive and clean. One reviewer mentioned bedbugs, so I was concerned, but we had no problem at all.
There are a couple of restaurants on site and we had dinner in the Bistro there. There is also a breakfast buffet, but we walked down the street to a coffee shop for a lighter meal.
Exercise room was great for hubby and there is a large outdoor pool.
My only complaint was the configuration of the bathroom. There is a large vanity behind the sink but no mirror, so hair drying was difficult since I had to put my brushes and dryer in the sink. The vanity counter has a large opaque window over it that could easily have been a mirror. Also, when hubby got up during the night and turned on the bathroom light, it lit up the bedroom!

• Stayed September 2011
Kailua
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

It's nice that you don't pay for the little slip of beach to be in Waikiki. Doubletree was a good stay for us for a few nights because we knew that we wouldn't be hanging out at the hotel very much. Otherwise clean, decent and fairly priced for Hawaii.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Please do not make reservations at this hotel.

Our rooms should have been charged to my creditcard immediately after we made our reservations. Despite our remarks, they charged us at departure with that we lost approxiately 10% (at the dollar).

Breakfast was included. However, this management did not believe us and despite of our vouchers confirming this, it took them over 24 hours, without excuses, to admit that a mistake had occured. They gave us coupons for a continental breakfast which was not mentioned at the vouchers. At last they gave us the full-breakfast.

At arrival they swiped my creditcard for authorization purposes. I agreed to that.
Late in the evening the day prior to our departure the announcement came that my creditcard had problems. At that time we came back from a fine last evening at Waikiki and found the doors of our room locked. The manager was kindly requested to open these doors as we need our personal (medical) gear. At that point he warned security, getting them behind me with handcuffs in reach, before declining our request, as he wanted authorization first. If only we had knew ...
I told him the rooms should be prepaid and if not, why not informing me earlier about problems as they knew it already at our arrival.

We warned you!!!

Room Tip: Do not book any room at this hotel. Hilton Village is at Waikiki beach and superior this hotel
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
north carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed at this hotel on Sept 2nd and had just an average stay. I am somewhat disillusioned with the Doubletree's I have stayed at in past couple of months. This one was better than the others but only for the location, which was nearby the Hilton Hawaiian Village area. Rooms were small but clean and the upgrade they teased me with online was non existent (not available per the front desk). No free WiFi in the room only the lobby area. The front desk staff was helpful with dinner recommendations (ask for the printed list). Overall for the price it was just OK.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Stayed for a couple of days of fun after going to a convention.
Location is great, walking distance to the Ala Moana jumbo mall and of course waikiki beach. Staff was super pleasant, and loves to treat customers with their delicious cookies. They also were helpful to organize a tour to Pearl Harbor in a concierge manner. I was upgraded to a suite which was great.
I'm not putting excellent to Breakfast because it could use a few more items like scrambled eggs and a larger choice of fresh fruits. Also, a breakfast room with windows would be appreciated.
Apart from those micro draw back, it's one of Waikiki's best value.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
DoubletreeAlana, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Alana Waikiki, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Doubletree by Hilton Alana Waikiki. Many guests choose to stay with us because of our convenient location and proximity to Ala Moana shopping center, Convention Center and Waikiki Beach.

Our team members are very knowledgeable of the local area and will assist in booking any activities that you request.

We have received numerous compliments for the renovations to our guest rooms especially our suites. Additional renovations were completed in July to our Alana Bistro. For an enhanced dining experience, we decided to move our breakfast to the Alana Bistro. We have also added an omelet station and a hot buffet. We continue to offer a continental breakfast for those looking for a lighter option.

Thank you again for your feedback and staying with us.
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

This is a newly renovated hotel right in the heart of the city, walking distance to shopping, dining, and the beach. The rooms are small and a little cramped. We got the rooms right above the pool which was fun during the day when you can watch the people swimming. But this became a nightmare at night. People hang out in the area, chitchatting, partying, way into the morning. It was the 4th of July weekend all right, but people still had to sleep after the celebration, right? Maybe the admin was just lax that time but the interest and comfort of every guest should be foremost all the time. They should lock the doors to the pool so no one can sneak in during the night. Also, staff were not quick in addressing concerns and requests. I'll blame it on the crazy holiday for now. But that's never an excuse. But we did enjoy the comfy bed and huge fluffy pillows.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms on the side of the pool
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Alana Waikiki? Share your experiences!