“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

This is our 2nd stay there since my wife loves this hotel. Hotel service is always excellent. Breakfast is pretty good. However, the buffet dinner is really limited, it does fit what the hotel try to represents.

As many review stated correctly, beach access is limited. There is a public beach at the front of hotel. But it certainly not the best beach in town. The best beach is in front of Royal Hawaii hotel, I think.

Location is great. I would go back again.

Room Tip: Don't eat the buffet dinner.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

Price is rather very expensive but here you get what you pay for. In terms of service, I'd rate it better than Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental hotel. Here you will be treated like a King. Only down side is that the location itself is not the best (small beach)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

This hotell is rather nice but after all the ravings I've heard over the years I expected something special.
The main disappointment was the outdoor areas, and the bathrooms need an update. The pool could have been bigger for all the crowds, and to be so close to the beach and then not able to access it directly I found a bit disappointing especially when the patch of sand outside the hotel is so small.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Buderim, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

This was our second stay in Waikiki and definitely our best accommodation. The hotel is simply stunning in all aspects, with top quality restaurants and friendly helpful staff. Make sure you opt for the buffet breakfast included in a package - the fresh fruit and waffles are the best we've ever eaten, along with everything else you could possibly imagine for breakfast. The pool and grounds are just as beautiful as they appear in the professional website photos. The pool area is very relaxing with ample loungers and space. It is not crammed, noisy and packed with children as other Waikiki hotels tend to be. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are stunning! Unobstructed views out over the swimming pool and ocean. Also part o...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

I just finished six nights here in room 965 and have one more to go before leaving for home. What a great choice. The room is great and over-sized. I paid to have a Diamondhead view and it is worth every dollar. I could spend forever looking out on the terrace.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Perth, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

This is our third time in Hawaii, we stayed at Outrigger the first time, then Hilton Hawaiian Village and now the Halekulani and I have to say this is the best one yet. Check in was seamless, which is great after a long flight. We stayed in a Junior Ocean Suite which was beautiful, nice layout and fantastic view. The beach isn't great however from our experience none of the beach front properties have that great a beach. When dining on the property they take a note of your name so the servers can address you personally which I think was a nice touch. It is expensive however it is Waikiki Beach and everything is expensive. If we ever come back we would most definitely stay here

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Mexico City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

The room is great and over-sized. I paid to have a Diamondhead view and it is worth every dollar. I could spend forever looking out on the terrace. Bed is super comfortable and the room has a sofa and sitting area. Nice desk with terrace view and great free Internet (using it now as I do everyday for a couple of hours of work). Bathroom is oversized with tub, shower, sink with chair in front of it, lots of counter room for personal toiletries and a seperate stall with the toilet. The closet, which is ample, opens both to the bathroom and bedroom. Small entry with refrigerator always stocked with free bottled water. Nice amenities, not over the top, but normal. Free gift each night which is quite a nice touch. Maid service and turndown.

When we arrived on light bulb was out but it was replaced the next day. Odd light under the night stand and my spouse was not paying attention when reception clerk (you check in in your room) pointed it out to us as I had to show how to turn it off. Smart to show how to do it as it is not evident.

Great restaurants (other than Nobu which has awful service) - see my reviews on each.

Property is lovely, pool is great and very nice. Beach area is small but a quick walk away and you are at a better beach where you can rent an umbrella and chairs.

Terrific staff overall. I disagree with reviews saying they remember your name. No one remembered us but all were super polite and friendly and greeted us.

Great spa.

My sole disappointment was concierge. (1) Friends sent us a bottle of champagne and the card was filled out wrong with the message of the card repeated where the names should be. I called room service who said concierge filled out the card wrong and the room service attendant told me who sent us the lovely gesture. (2) Concierge booked us at Nobu inside the hotel's sister property and we were mistreated. As there always seem to be people at the concierge desk, I sent an email to David Nakamura (he reached out to me prior to visit to offer any help needed) and the generic concierge email address. I did this on Sunday night and now it is Friday morning - still no courtesy of a reply. I used Opentable.com to book other dinners as I realized that the concierge management is not on par with the rest of the Halekulani - no other issues. I suggest not using concierge service. They have no skills and do not care.

Other oddity is when trash is in hallway near room (shopping bags), it is left for the morning maid even if the evening maid (male) is doing the turndown services. Looks terrible and should be removed faster as is the case in every NYC hotel (another shopping paradise) I go to. Otherwise, A++ for housekeeping.

Overall great hotel, great stay, all you meet in stores advise you it is the best hotel in town, great location. If you can avoid the concierge, all will go well.

Room Tip: pay for a view of Diamondhead, expensive, but worth it
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Been to Halekulani Hotel? Share your experiences!