“Wonderful stay..” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Calgary, Canada
“Wonderful stay..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is truly wonderful, the staff are amazing and definitely go the extra mile. Honestly we couldn't be happier with our stay.

Our room was clean nicely decorated and the balcony was pretty large with a fantastic view. The grounds are tranquil, and maliciously manicured. Breakfast had everything you could want and more. It was delicious....

Again the service was incredible, the staff spoil you. Everyone was always cheerful, polite and helpful... I mean everyone treated us that way. Especially housekeeping, I was so impressed with how well they cleaned our room and their attention to detail.

The only thing I wish Halekulani Hotel would change is to heat the pool more. They say it's heated, but honestly it was pretty cold swimming in it. It's a beautiful pool though...

To all the staff at the Halekulani Hotel, thank you for the wonderful stay, I never wanted to leave!

Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Korean first
Santa Monica, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Don't get me wrong. This is a beautiful hotel, yes, and I was very happy to be there. BUT, for what you pay, I'm not sure... You can probably find an hotel very similar for much cheaper.

Rooms.. The rooms are very simple.. No decoration.. Old stuff in the room.. just nothing special. No coffee machine or hot tea maker in the room either..! They want you to order room service or wait for breakfast at 7am. You have a small balcony and water bottles (free) in the room, which is nice. No minibar.

Location.. If you like to be in town, hearing the cars, seeing a lot of people, and having a lot of things going on, you will like the location. If you prefer a peaceful and more serene place, you may want to change island haha. Its very busy here. Very touristic. One thing that is very beautiful is that you can see Diamond's head from the hotel! (You can also go hike it, which is gorgeous from the top!)

Beach.. There is not really a beach in front of the hotel, which I thought was disappointing. You have to walk (mainly on your left side) to go to a nicer, longer beach.. Its very busy.. Lots of family as well. You can do paddle boards and other activities which is nice. The waves aren't very big. If you want to see big waves, you have to go to another beach.

Food.. very disappointing. It's very expensive for what you get, and it's good but not excellent. I can make better food at home (seriously)! Room service.. Very small menu. Couldn't find anything I like. Room service taxes and charge is very high. Breakfast buffet, however, is really nice. It opens at 7am. You have fresh fruits, cheese, eggs, waffles, croissant, japanese foods, salads, smoked salmon, etc.

Pool.. Nice but very simple, nothing special. Its an oval pool (not very big) with no view of the ocean.

Spa is nice but not that great. Very expensive for what you get. My massage was fine but not excellent.. They don't get you a robe or anything.. They just make you go straight to the room.. You get a tea after your treatment while waiting outside, which was nice. A 50 min Swedish massage cost 175$. It includes a mini feet ritual (~5 min). Prices are not on the spa menu in the room. You have to call.

Service.. Good service. Very polite and friendly people!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

My expectations were high given what I had heard about the Halekulani. What I found was a nice hotel with good service and not much more. In no way could I say it was a bad experience, just unexceptional and very expensive for what it is. The rooms were attractive and spacious but the bathrooms a bit dated. Breakfast was ordinary.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Halekulani is a beautiful property in Waikiki, facing the ocean and a lovely pool and garden.

The service, food, and accomadation is all fisrt class. I have been here two times this year and the consistency and quality is great. It is quite, dignified, and a great oasis of charm in busy Waikiki.

Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ocean view/ ocean facing
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

This hotel has a calm grace, with delightful scents of flowers as you walk into it from the busy roads of Honolulu.
White is their colour, calm is their objective with attentive staff, best public washrooms that offer a sound of the sea as you pee!
The flowing breezy hotel has smiling well trained staff, with an attention for detail.
The restaurant, "House with no Key" has an amazing buffet/brunch on Sunday.
On the ocean, with no access for the a walker to walk in from the beach.
This is a hotel for dress up, not for a loud party scene.
Every table, every day, had fresh flowers.
Get what you pay for, if you want to have an energizing, relaxing, gracious holiday by the pool.
For the well behaved only, or if you want to soak up a sleepy week sitting, drinking, swimming, eating, attend a nightly show under the stars, and a spa.
Lovely, and lets hope it stays that way.

Room Tip: Go for the best room. We did not stay there, but family attended a wedding in the fall, and said go...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
billyar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I wrote a glowing review in 2006 and have returned four times since then, and I always considered the Halekulani the best in Waikiki; until now. My recent stay was marred by a front desk that did not deliver and the insane number of weddings overrunning the resort.

I booked thru the AMEX fine hotels program. One amenity is early check in. I was arriving at 2 pm and was transported by Hotel limo. I wanted to hit the ground running so I requested the moderately early check in and repeated my request when booked the hotel car.

When I arrived I was not greeted and led to the front desk as I always had before.
The desk clerk did not greet me as a repeat returning guest, was not particularly welcoming and informed me that no upgrade was available (fine they are based on availability) but the kicker was my room was not ready either. Frankly for a hotel with the motto "For you everything" it seemed more like "For you nothing"

For a hotel that calls itself the best to say no to an arriving guest twice at check is truly sloppy. Particularly when you are supposedly offering them as part of a AMEX program. 2 pm check is too much for the Halekulani ,wow, how the mighty have fallen When I did finally get my room I could not help notice is was the worst location (farthest back from beach in the Diamond Head View category booked. I would rate the entire check in experience as terrible.

Additionally the weddings were everywhere at all hours. One could not help being surrounded by picture taking sessions. I got bumped off the bench at 7:30 a.m. in the porte-cochere by wedding party picture taking.

While having dinner at Orchids we were seated outside with a lovely view across the lawn to Diamond head. Suddenly all the tables behind us were pushed together and a Wedding Cake , tables, flowers ect. were set up on the lawn in front where our view used to be. . We now had a cake cutting shoot directly In front of our table and tables full of guests all around us. Even our waiter looked a little embarrassed by the sudden instant wedding party of which we were now in the center. I was like a scene in a Fellini Movie. Our waiter however was excellent.

It is clear to me that the wedding machine is out of control here and takes priority over other guests. I have been to Hawaii many times and I know weddings are like palm trees--everywhere. But this was out of line.

The rest of my stay was the typical Halekulani perfection, Their food is still the best. But overall they have fallen behind the top competition. There was cool competence but no aloha.

I extended my stay in Waikiki but did not remain at the Halekulani. I hate to say it but I found a better view, better grounds, more aloha, better room and better dedication to customer service at that Pink Palace down the beach. Not to mention a much fairer price. And not once did I have to move to make way for a pop-up wedding.

I guess not even the venerable Halekulani can not stay the same. My terrible reception, crowded wedding party atmosphere, and the lack of any special concern by the staff for customer satisfaction makes this my final stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Honolulu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Ahhh... Perfect Valentine's Day staycation at the Halekulani! We were treated like royalty from the moment we arrived and when we saw our room and view it took our breath away. Even though we live in Honolulu and look at Diamond Head everyday, the sight of the ocean with the crater as a backdrop was jaw-dropping. The room itself was the epitome of pampering- fresh papaya, chocolate and champagne on arrival, luxurious and plentiful bath products, and 2 bathrooms. Dinner at the House Without a Key, drinks and jazz at Lewer's Lounge... This was a dream 2 days with the late checkout and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Halekulani Hotel? Share your experiences!