“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 83 hotels in Honolulu
Randolph, New Jersey
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband and I visited the Halekulani in July of 2012 for our anniversary. We requested a room with a view of Diamond Head and were not disappointed when we arrived. The staff was very professional and the concierge was an unbelievable help with dinner suggestions and reservations. We paid to have the breakfast buffet included, which was just OK. The pool had ample seating and nice shade with the palm trees. Every afternoon the staff brought around Melona bars to everyone by the pool, which was a nice treat! The hotel is in a great location--perfect walking distance to everything. There's an ABC store right around the corner for snacks, beer, etc. My husband and I have stayed at many top hotels, but this is by far our favorite spot and are hoping to return one day!

Room Tip: Try to request a room on a higher floor with a Diamond Head view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

1,426 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Halekulani Hotel is simply beautiful.
It was great staying there. Although it is in the middle of all the hustle and bustle, it was great getting back to the hotel and away from the rest of Waikiki.
The service and staff were excellent! No complaints at all.
From the doorman to the waiters to the pool staff all were fantastic. Great customer service.
it is pricey but it was worth every cent.
Its has its own private beach area.
I am saving my pennies and there is nowhere else I will stay in Honolulu but there.
Excellent, excellent, excellent!
Mahalo to all the staff.

Room Tip: Our room had front ocean views, but anywhere would be just as good.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

There is not a lot more that I think I can add to other people's reviews about this chic hotel. If you want a relatively 'low key' experience of Waikiki, look no further than the Halekalani. It's the sort of hotel that makes you feel really well looked after and a little bit away from the touristy aspects of Waikiki. The staff were fantastic in attending to our needs while we stayed here. In fact, one example of this was when my partner left his 'dream' wish to drive a convertible along the coast, to the last minute, and the night before we were to take this drive, he decided to rent a Mustang. Googling the rental places, my partner could find nothing left to rent for the next day, he then decided to ring concierge. This was about 6 p.m. Unfortunately at such late notice they said, they could only offer him his second choice of favorite cars, a big jeep rental. He was happy enough. The next morning,on going down to concierge to sign the insurance papers and pick up the car, the lovely woman Wendy?, I think her name was, said many apologies gentlemen, there has been a mix up, the Jeep's not here, but here are the keys to your white mustang (M's favourite colour). He and I couldn't have been more thrilled! The concierge had remembered what car M really had wanted, and managed somehow to get it for him. It was really wonderful service, above and beyond.. Special mention for hospitality also has to go to Casey, who worked poolside, who was super friendly and attentive, as well as all the staff at Le Mer. Actually, the experience of Le Mer was one of the best dining experiences of my life. It was incredibly beautiful there, at the best table of the restaurant, with the tropical rain coming down, and the palm trees silhouetted on the beach, it felt like I was in some kind of magical dream. ( And to think, after reading too many of the reviews on Trip Advisor, I nearly cancelled my reservation here).
I actually loved the tiny beach out the front of the hotel and thought the pool and surrounding area wonderful for lying around and relaxing.
To sum up, and quote a Honolulu taxi driver, this hotel, situated alongside the many other hotels that board the hordes of tourists that come to Waikiki every year, is a diamond in the rough.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We have been to Halekulani several times and have always enjoyed it. We had a suite overlooking Diamondhead and the ocean. The view was spectacular! The common grounds were well maintained and as pretty as we remembered. The food was good and the service, attentive. What bothered us was that for the money, we thought that the inside of the hotel should have been maintained better. The plumbing was shotty. We got bursts of hot and cold water all the time while showering and though they tried to fix it, the problem persisted. The "engineer" admitted that it was the plumbing. My guess is that they already knew that but the staff can only apologize and offer "treats" to compensate. Only the owners can fix the plumbing. Also, in the bathroom, the glass shelves that once held amenities, now wobble precariously, spilling anything on top of them, unless one is very careful. Staples stuck out of the carpet where rooms met. We could hear all kinds of noises from other rooms and outside, from the events going on below, (until about midnight). This is supposed to be the quiet hotel in Waikiki. The balcony was not a place to sit out on the terrace and eat because the protected birds would drop their excrements on you and your food constantly. However, the rooms are nicely appointed. -Small showers and doorways but lovely neutral decor. One elevator was broken during our stay, so there were long lines to go up and down. Still, management attempts to stay on top of the hotel's problems. I think they just need some help from the owners.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely excellent. Traveled June 22-29, 2013.

DECOR
Understand end elegance allowing the ocean and palms to be showcased.

CLEANLINESS
The hotel is extremely clean.

CHECK IN
We were escorted to our room by the front desk staff, who explained the resort grounds, restaurants meals times, and all the amenities in the room.

SECURITY
Since the hotel is on the beach, security is necessary to keep out non-Halekulani patrons. The bathrooms next to the beach can only be opened with a room. The hotel elevators (when going up) can only be activated with the room key (but when coming down from your room you don't need the key to activate the elevator). We loved this level of security. You are paying a lot of money to stay at this hotel and don't want anyone to be able to run a muck in it.

ROOMS
Although we booked a garden view too to save money, we stayed on the 7th floor and from the left of our balcony we are ocean front. So, Halekulani classifies rooms that don't directly face the ocean as non-ocean front even though I drank morning coffee looking at the water (I just turned the lounger on the balcony a little and the entire view is ocean).
The rooms are equipped with high tech features. Night stands have power strips to plug in electronic devices. One side of the bed has a standing remote that shuts off every light in the room from bed! The private and maid service is a light you turn on inside the room and glows outside. No pesky "do not disturb" signs to hang. The bed is comfortable (we had a king) and there is a sofa, coffee table, swiveling flat panel sony TV, and end of bed bench in the room.
The bathroom has the closet, a plunge tub, a glass shower, separate toilet room and a chair at the vanity to sit while primping. There are daily robes and slippers in the room.
Maid service comes twice a day to make up the room and again at night for turndown service. Each morning before maid service a daily newspaper is hanging on your door. Nightly maid service leaves you a small gift each evening with beautiful cards.

ROOM SERVICE DINING
Absolutely spectacular. I've traveled the world and this is the best I've seen. Always brought to you on a wheeled-in table, the waiter sets the table for you. Food is kept in a hot box underneath the table and taken out hot when the table is being set. We got breakfast one morning and the waiters set up a toaster so the bread could be freshly toasted. Tax and gratuity are included in room dining and the waiter always lets you know that. We ate dinner in bed one night and the waiter extends the table to come to the bed and another time we had breakfast on the sofa and the waiter rearranged the room for it. Room service can also be set onto balcony by the waiter. Wonderful!!

FOOD/DRINK
Dining is expensive here but absolutely worth it! The Sunday brunch buffet at Orchids (resort attire, collared shirts for men) is exceptional (approx $60pp) and features both standard American breakfast as well as Japanese (sushi rolls,etc). House Without a Key (resort casual attire, bathing suits and cover ups are just fine) has nightly live Hawaiian music and another menu of excellent food. Le Mer (resort dressy,collared shirts, tie/jacket optional) is exquisite. The service at all dining establishments is premiere. The drinks match the food and service.

LOCATION
Perfection! The quite of the Ocean mixed with the upscale shopping outside of the hotel make for both a relaxing and entertaining experience. You can nearly walk to everything!

POOL
The pool may look small but it is not. There are very few families with children here. I think it is just to expensive for a family. The pool is always calm and roomy. The poolside service is great. Drinks keep coming and poolside food is nearly the same menu as the lunch menu for House without a Key. One negative: will have to get to the pool early so secure loungers with umbrellas. Pool opens at 7:00am daily and you really need to be there at 7 to get an umbrella. The staff will tell you that they cannot hold you loungers while you leave for breakfast so if your plan is to secure loungers and take off, you are taking a chance (but I never saw anyone have a problem!) drink service starts at approx 10:30am and concludes around 5pm. Pool closes at 7pm daily.

OCEAN
The beach is very small but still beautiful. There are no loungers on the sand. Access to the beach is right next to the pool and there is walkway to walk along the beach without being in the water. Later in the day, at high tide, the waves will crash against the barrier wall of the pool patio. The sound is beautiful.

***Everything can be charged to your room and you can seeing a running tally on your room TV. No need to carry money around.

• Stayed June 2013
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We are currently staying at the Halekulani and must say that we can't understand why this place has a great reputation for service. For us, the service has been average at best and certainly well below what we've experienced at similar class properties around Hawaii and the world (e.g., Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, Banyan Tree, Palace Hotel Tokyo). We've visited Hawaii often (this being at least our 7th time) and understand service can sometimes be laid-back, but we wouldn't expect that at the Halekulani based on the reviews we've read on TA and our experience at other fine Hawaiian hotels.

The Good - (1) the spa is top class with excellent technicians. Fantastic massages and facials.
(2) Comfortable bed
(3) Joy's Special sandwich - crabmeat, bacon & avocado on whole wheat bread...need I say more?
(4) Tasty Mai Tais

The Bad - except for one waiter at the outside bar, service was slow or almost non-existent. During our day at the pool, we lounged for an hour (11-12 noon) without ever seeing a server so we decided to eat at the pool-side restaurant. After a slow ("leisurely" if I'm kind) lunch, we finally saw a server at the pool and were able to order drinks. However, after 1 follow up visit, our server never came back until I signaled her for our check about 90 minutes later (full disclosure: she had a 30 min lunch break during the start of this time, but none of her colleagues covered her area and she never stopped by after her break). It was clear that they were under-staffed at the pool area.

The Ugly - (1) the Halekulani has dress codes throughout much of the property, which is fine, but seems a bit over the top given the hotel's location. One evening after dinner, we asked the concierge where we could get a nightcap drink. She directed us to the jazz bar even though she could plainly see that I was wearing dress shorts, collared shirt and sandals while the club requires long pants and close-toed shoes (in Hawaii!). It would have been better for her to be upfront with us about the dress code and direct us to another bar in the area.

(2) You need to carry your room key in order to use the restroom at the pool. There was an attendant who let my wife and me into the restrooms, but she scolded my wife for being wet and "drippy" going into the restroom (AT THE POOL!) and me for not having my room key even though I did have it, but I just thought the room was occupied. Having never before experienced a secured pool restroom, I didn't know I needed a higher security clearance than Edward Snowden to use the toilet. Consider me educated now.

Other:
For some reason, when you turn the TV on, the volume is set very high. Strange.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gloucester N.S.W.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed here for 10 nights in April. We received a free upgrade to an ocean view room on arrival. We had a room overlooking the pool and it was lovely. Sitting on the balcony enjoying the view and the music that is on each night near the pool. A great central location, walk to shopping, restaurants etc. Nothing was a problem to staff and all staff were friendly. It was a special birthday for me and our children arranged for a cake to be delivered and the motel also supplied a bottle of champers. As I said nothing was a problem for the staff to organise. We thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Halekulani.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the pool, has a view to the water
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Halekulani Hotel? Share your experiences!