“Almost Quiet Destination in Waikiki” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2199 Kalia Road, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #4 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
New York City, New York
“Almost Quiet Destination in Waikiki”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

We chose the Halekluani for the Honolulu part of our Hawaiian vacation because of the great reviews and description of it an "oasis in Waikiki". Most of that was definitely true - compared to the other Waikiki hotels we visited - most of which seem stuck in the 70s or 80s- Halekulani is elegant, serene, and with great service. The pool area is nice, breakfast buffet delicious, and the room while not large was well appointed and with a great view of Waikiki (at an extra charge). The only issues we had were some noise problem at night. One night there was some sort of machinery making noises around 11pm that was irritating although didn't last long. The other was at about 1am one night when we heard a consistent banging. We called the front desk and they were able to stop it - turns out someone was locked out of their room and for some reason decided to keep banging on his door instead of going down to the front desk. The hotel handled it well but still can't give five stars for the experience given that.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Korean first
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I was born and raised in Honolulu and have always wanted to get married in the halekulani since I was a little girl. I have since then moved to California but really wanted to get married at home.

I actually looked at several other venues prior to halekulani but was not impressed. The catering staff was not knowledgeable and didn't explain the menus or packages. It was only after visiting all other hotels did I finally decide to visit halekulani. I initially neglected the hotel because I thought it would be out of my price range. But I'm so glad I stopped by.

A couple of key points that made this an awesome venue:

-I no longer live in Hawaii (so this is a destination wedding) so all communication with the banquet manager was done via email. Which I loved because it saved alot of time. They were very responsive and answered all my questions. I never had to follow-up with them once.

-the hotel is 5 star. It is classy, elegant and has the open air plantation feel. It is very different compared to other hotels in Waikiki. While other hotels plow people thru, you feel at ease in the hotel. It is very quiet.

-their wedding packages are awesome. If you spend over 6k in food, they will hook you up with a free hotel room for your wedding night (champagne and all). Package also includes a wedding cake! They provide cake cutting tools and there is no cake cutting fee. Valet is free for all your guests. If you add up all the little details, halekulani ends up being cheaper than most of the other venues in Waikiki. Oh forgot to mention, if you spend 6k on food, they waive the ceremony location fee - for my location, that saved me over $2500!

-you cannot beat the service. Everyone...from the reception, to the bell boy, to the wait staff will treat you like you are a millionaire. They all give 5 star service. They will go out of their way to make your stay comfortable. I've never felt like such a queen and my guests also commented how they were very attentive.

-the food is good. All my guests were pleased with the food and drinks. I had 4 course meals and the average price was about $75/person. You also don't need to feel like you are stuck with their set food menus. You can mix and match and they will reprice accordingly.

-You cannot beat the view. I got married on the Hau terrace which overlooks the ocean. Absolutely stunning. All of our guests, even the locals, thought that the view belonged in a magazine.

Definitely check it out. It was by far my best wedding decision. My only regret was that I could not stay there for longer...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Step into the Halekulani and you escape the hustle and bustle of Honolulu and Waikiki. Lovely setting on the beach, impeccable rooms and friendly service. Three restaurants plus poolside service. Breakfast at Orchids with Diamonhead in the distance cannot be beat.

Room Tip: Opt for an oceanview room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a week on our honeymoon! We got upgraded to an ocean view room and the view, room size and amenities were all top notch. The staff are ALL friendly. From the concierge, pool attendants, front desks etc they were all very helpful, attentive and happy. No wonder most of them stay here for 20 plus years. If you really want to stay at the best place on Waikiki then look no further. For dining, Nobu, Roy's, dukes, ruth's chris amongst others are all a 2 min walk and you have all the high end shopping close by. You can even walk 15 mins to the ala moana sopping centre if you want to. The house without a key is great for a drink or dinner but get their prior to 6pm as this place gets packed as everyone from all the other hotels comes here as this is the place to watch sunset.

The only negative we have if that we wish we stayed here an extra week! Thanks so much to all the wonderful staff you made our honeymoon.

Nick and Monique, sydney, Australia

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We are 2 years into our hopeful goal of going to Hawaii every Presidents' Day weekend. Went to the Four Seasons on the Big Island last year and it was amazing. Wanted to go back but prices doubled in one year, so decided to try Oahu since it was more similar to what we'd paid last year ($700/night). Seemed from our research than Halekulani was the best Oahu had to offer, so we booked. The good: Our room overlooking Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head in the background; I signed up for The Leaders Club prior to booking and we got upgraded to a special room at no cost; the entertainment at sunset/happy hour is quintessential Honolulu, concierge desk when I asked for assistance was very helpful and courteous, the choice of breakfasts in either Orchids or Room Without a Key were terrific...Orchids had a nice menu, Room had an extensive buffet...really nice for being included in the room rate fully, our ocean view room had a roomy balcony for sunset cocktails and morning coffee with beautiful views, when we arrived downstairs for sunset cocktails at 6:15 they were already very crowded, but they somehow found front row seats for the entertainment on two nights for us (was it our Leaders' Club membership?), the individual rooms and the customized service in the spa are very special. Cons: Service was not quite up to par for a hotel this expensive. When we checked in, they took my credit card data and asked us to wait until someone could accompany us to our room (we just wanted a key). We waited for 15 minutes until the receptionist was available. Next, the poolside bar was just OK. The cocktails on the pool menu were not that tasty and when we asked for something off the menu, the results were disappointing. Next, we had dinner at La Mer on our last night. The decor and service were definitely better than anything we had experienced in Hawaii before, but the food was just mediocre, and the dinner tab for 2 was about $475, turn down service took place at 5:00 when we were just wanting to take a nap before happy hour.

Room Tip: This hotel has a variety of rooms. If you want a view, it might be best to call rather than book on...
Leesburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We recently stayed in a jr ocean suite room. Room size was good. You have an nice balcony where you can sit and enjoy the ocean view. The balcony facing the ocean is basically for looks . One person can step out there but that is it. It is not a usable balcony, however it has a beautiful view from the room.

Service and food are very good. It was not a problem to get a seat by the pool. Hotel is centrally located so very easy to walk to restaurants and shops.

It does not have a beach area. That did not bother us - we enjoyed sitting by the pool and walking the beach

Really enjoyed the French restaurant. It is definitely worth having dinner there.

We would definitely return.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times over the years and it never fails to impress. Service is always top notch and there is never the feel you are in a big resort or tourist hotel. It is covenient to the beach and the pool is quiet. The rooms are large luxurious and comfortable. Some of the views are spectacular. I had a view of the ocean and diamond head truly a classic waikiki view. Food is excellent and after having stayed at a other hotels I think in Hawaii this one is truly the example for others to follow in regards to service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Halekulani Hotel? Share your experiences!