“Nice place, very laid back” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Sunrise Breakfast Package
Ranked #3 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
HAWTHORNWOODS, Il
“Nice place, very laid back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Great location with small but very clean rooms. This is a great hotel to stay at if you are looking to read a book and chill. There are no beach bars, pool bars or music playing during the day like the other hotels along the beach. If you are looking for that type of place it is just a short walk away.
The beach though small was great and not crowded. The staff is very attentive to your needs and friendly. I look forward to staying here again next year when I return for more R&R.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The hotel is excellently situated right at the Waikiki beach. We had a diamond head ocean view room- very nice to see the iconic view every morning! The hotel has a graceful and elegant feel. Many weddings were held in the courtyard. Pool area was small, but did not need to spend any time there. The included breakfast buffet was simple but met our needs (rice, miso soup, pickles, smoked salmon and steamed vegetables for me; omelet bar, cereal, bread, cheese, bacon and sausages for DH). Every night at turndown there was a small little gift, which was a very nice touch. Shower was small but excellent functionality. One improvement was at checkout- the staffer at the checkout desk was brusque and seemed unfriendly. We had a very late flight out. The check out staffer did not mention the hospitality suite. It was the very helpful and friendly bag valet that mentioned that there is a hospitality suite with lockers and two showers that can be used by guests after checkout. This meant we could have hung out at the beach and showered before changing into our cold weather airplane clothes. The hospitality suite is also the business centre. Please note that suitcases cannot be brought up to the suite- but small carry bags can be locked in a locker for change of clothes. There are also complimentary beverages- coffee, tea, cold drinks. We wished we had known about this ahead of time, so we could have worn our bathing suits on that day.

Room Tip: Don't forget about the hospitality suite if you have a late flight out.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Everything about this hotel is service, service, service. Wonderful attentive staff either having a drink, dinner at Prchid or La Mer, or staying for a holiday. The spa is amazing, a couple massage with lava rocks.

A honolulu must

• Stayed November 2012
Garland, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We had an overnight stay at this hotel just last week. The rooms, views, staff and amenities were five star all the way. The most amazing part of the trip was that during my stay I dropped $75 in cash while in the exercise facility. I called from the airport and asked them to check and not only did they check, but they found the cash and credited my room. Wow! It would have been so easy to pocket the cash, but they did the right thing. Great Karma!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have wanted to stay at this hotel each time I have been to Honolulu. This time it worked out. I had a town car pick up my husband and I at the airport, which was worth it. The bellmen upon our arrival were helpful and friendly. Unfortunately, that was the highlight of staying here so far. The front desk was a bit impersonal. Yes, we had a receptionist take us on a brief tour and walk us to our room. I had reserved through Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts so had hoped we might get an upgrade only to find what I thought was more of a downgrade. Imagine my surprise when we were given a room with twin beds. The receptionist explained that no room type is guaranteed. Everything is a request, and basically you get what you get when you arrive. So word to the wise, think about what you want in a room and is not getting it worth the $$$.

The receptionist said she would have housekeeping turn the twins into a king, which did not happen. We had to call down hours later once we returned to find nothing had been done. Of course simply pushing the two together just isn't quite the same. Also, problems with the phone were not corrected as promised, until I called again hours later also. Have to wait till tomorrow to get that fixed. I requested and opportunity to upgrade my room, which I certainly could do for another $1,300 a night. No one seemed to care that I wasn't happy with my $700 a night twin bed room.

Anyway, rooms are fairly small unless you reserve a suite. Seating is limited in the room. Ocean front means you get a view of the pool and a tiny bit of the ocean. Pool seems overly small and I am certain the beach area is equally as small. Overall, we are greatly disappointed. I do not feel the care and concern that other reviews have mentioned. For the money, I would think twice before ever staying here again. Probably didn't help that we had just stayed at the Four Seasons in Kona which blew us away in terms of service and rooms, compared to this.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We are here right now. We had previously stayed at the Halekulani one two occasions. A number of years have passed since our first stay and a few have pasted since our most recent, so this was the diligence test. Service and the condition of the hotel facility continue to get top marks. Our ocean front room overlooking the famous orchid bottom pool (11th floor) was beautiful and immaculate in every detail, even the smallest. I could not find a corner in the bathroom that was not spotless and the fixtures were top of the line. Service in the restaurants has been of the highest professional standard, even the casual poolside dining.

Room Tip: The hotel has an excellent room location map/graphic on its website. With the rooms described as &q...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Woodbridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I am one to always read the Trip Advisor, before I book a hotel- I feel it’s important to read- referrals are always the best ones when deciding where to stay.
I highly recommend this hotel. It was a wonderful experience. This hotel is the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed at in my life. Every corner is clean, neat and well organized. The treat you like a queen and king here. The location is fantastic- everything is around there. Great, great, great location. Every day there are cute little notes on your bed, that was my favourite, I’ve kept every single note.
We went for our honeymoon and stayed here, it was the best hotel in Honolulu. I strongly recommend it. If you stay here, you will not be disappointed!!!
Ps. I read some reviews how it is expensive. Hawaii is expensive wherever you stay. Period. Any hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple