“Certainly not what I expected....” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Rate
Daily Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
“Certainly not what I expected....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have wanted to stay at this hotel each time I have been to Honolulu. This time it worked out. I had a town car pick up my husband and I at the airport, which was worth it. The bellmen upon our arrival were helpful and friendly. Unfortunately, that was the highlight of staying here so far. The front desk was a bit impersonal. Yes, we had a receptionist take us on a brief tour and walk us to our room. I had reserved through Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts so had hoped we might get an upgrade only to find what I thought was more of a downgrade. Imagine my surprise when we were given a room with twin beds. The receptionist explained that no room type is guaranteed. Everything is a request, and basically you get what you get when you arrive. So word to the wise, think about what you want in a room and is not getting it worth the $$$.

The receptionist said she would have housekeeping turn the twins into a king, which did not happen. We had to call down hours later once we returned to find nothing had been done. Of course simply pushing the two together just isn't quite the same. Also, problems with the phone were not corrected as promised, until I called again hours later also. Have to wait till tomorrow to get that fixed. I requested and opportunity to upgrade my room, which I certainly could do for another $1,300 a night. No one seemed to care that I wasn't happy with my $700 a night twin bed room.

Anyway, rooms are fairly small unless you reserve a suite. Seating is limited in the room. Ocean front means you get a view of the pool and a tiny bit of the ocean. Pool seems overly small and I am certain the beach area is equally as small. Overall, we are greatly disappointed. I do not feel the care and concern that other reviews have mentioned. For the money, I would think twice before ever staying here again. Probably didn't help that we had just stayed at the Four Seasons in Kona which blew us away in terms of service and rooms, compared to this.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

1,500 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Korean first
Woodland Hills, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We are here right now. We had previously stayed at the Halekulani one two occasions. A number of years have passed since our first stay and a few have pasted since our most recent, so this was the diligence test. Service and the condition of the hotel facility continue to get top marks. Our ocean front room overlooking the famous orchid bottom pool (11th floor) was beautiful and immaculate in every detail, even the smallest. I could not find a corner in the bathroom that was not spotless and the fixtures were top of the line. Service in the restaurants has been of the highest professional standard, even the casual poolside dining.

Room Tip: The hotel has an excellent room location map/graphic on its website. With the rooms described as &q...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Woodbridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I am one to always read the Trip Advisor, before I book a hotel- I feel it’s important to read- referrals are always the best ones when deciding where to stay.
I highly recommend this hotel. It was a wonderful experience. This hotel is the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed at in my life. Every corner is clean, neat and well organized. The treat you like a queen and king here. The location is fantastic- everything is around there. Great, great, great location. Every day there are cute little notes on your bed, that was my favourite, I’ve kept every single note.
We went for our honeymoon and stayed here, it was the best hotel in Honolulu. I strongly recommend it. If you stay here, you will not be disappointed!!!
Ps. I read some reviews how it is expensive. Hawaii is expensive wherever you stay. Period. Any hotel.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

In addition to location, location, location, the Halekulani delivers service, service service. Everything is done elegantly. The staff goes out of their way to help us. They anticipate needs and strive to deliver what is needed before we even recognize it.
The service people, all of them, were always friendly and helpful. They never made us feel that we were an interruption or a bother to them. We really felt as part of a loving family.
We splurged on the Diamond Head view oceanfront room and it was worth it. Our lanai had a picture postcard view of Waikiki and Diamond Head. We ate a number of meals outside on our lanai because the view and setting were wonderful.
We were there for a tsunami scare. The hotel kept us well informed about what was expected and what they were doing. The event turned out, thankfully, to be minimal, but the hotel appeared ready to take care of whatever occurred.
For a luxury treat, the Halekani delivers a fabulous experience.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

On the way home from Maui, we had a layover in Honolulu and decided to stay a couple of nights so we could explore. After reading hundreds of reviews on TripAdvisor, I couldn’t pass up Halekulani. Not only is it featured in just about every travel magazine, the reviews were outstanding. We normally don’t spend this much on a hotel, but thought we would splurge as this was a special trip for us. We booked through the Platinum Amex website since they had extra amenities such as complimentary dining credit and a room upgrade on arrival. We had chosen an oceanfront room in hopes that we would be upgraded to the next category up, Diamond Head view, but they were sold out when we checked in. I was a little disappointed, but knew that it was based on availability so wasn’t too surprised.

The check in process is really neat. They take your name when you arrive and then take you up to your room to complete the check in process. The actual room was beautiful and had the best bathroom I have ever seen in a hotel.

There is a small beach directly outside the resort but is public and swarming with people. The pool was very nice but too small for the amount of people staying at the hotel. The location is fantastic though. There are so many things within walking distance, it’s nice.

I strongly recommend Restaurant Suntory. It is a teppenyaki restaurant about 10 minutes (walking) from the hotel. We both love teppenyaki and try to visit a new place each time we travel, but this was by far the best one we have ever been to. In fact, we tried to get reservations for the second night we were there as well, but couldn’t get in.

The spa is also extremely expensive but worth every penny. We got a couple’s massage and it was one of the best massages I have ever had. There is a foot ritual that they do before your treatment, and it just sets the mood. The spa area where they send you to relax before your treatment is near the pool, so I highly recommend an early morning or late afternoon appointment if quiet is what you are looking for.

Other than the check in process and the spa, the service wasn’t what I was expecting after reading so many glowing reviews. Aside from the location and fabulous bathroom, I didn’t find anything that made this hotel worth the price we paid.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Halekulani but will be choosing another hotel next time we are in Honolulu.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms are spectacular and offer a nice setting to enjoy the nightly show from your b...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Racine, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 10 days last month and it was un-believeable. The Hotel and Staff were better than any Hotel we have stayed at in the States. Beautiful, spacious rooms, awesome views, large pool, and great Restaurants. The list goes on. The Staff attends to every need or question you might have. Head and shoulders above the rest. I would not stay at any other Hotel. Halekulani is the Best. Don't believe me? Walk around like we did and see for yourself. You will not be dis-appointed........

Saluda, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This property is maintained to perfection with an attentive staff. We stayed there for three days on our way to China from the east coast. A great way to get over jet lag, if you ave the time. Coffee is available starting at around 5:30 for early risers. The first morning I was taking two coffees back to our room when someone at the front desk ran over to call the elevator and push my floor for me, i was very thankful and impressed.

Room Tip: The hotel website has a very good room layout plan. Higher floors are more likely to have an ocean...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Halekulani Hotel? Share your experiences!