“Thumbs up!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Los Chaparros Mexican Restaurant

Los Chaparros Mexican Restaurant
2140 S Beretania St, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96826-1401 (Formerly Los Chaparros)
808-951-6399
Cuisines: Mexican
Wilmington, DE
“Thumbs up!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We just had a delicious lunch at Los Chaparros. I hadn't read any reviews and had never heard of this restaurant until we Googled Mexican restaurants in Honolulu. We arrived about 1:30 this afternoon and were warmly greeted and seated. There is a photo machine at the entrance which was fun for the teens as they could immediately send a picture out via social media.
The restaurant was almost empty which didn't bother us as we knew the lunch hour was close to over. Great appetizer choices. Large soft drinks with free refills, a good choice of Mexican beers served in ice cold mugs.
More people entered after we were seated but it didn't effect the timing of our order. Chicken fajitas were plentiful. Chimichanga was a good size as well as the toquito platter, both served with tasty rice and beans. The first serving of chips and salsa is complimentary, but there is a charge for refills. No waste with this small restaurant!
If I had any issue, it was the very slight wait to pay our bill. Total for four $69 + tip.
Maybe the dinner hour is more crowded, but for the time we visited, I have no complaints.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Monterey, California
“Horrible, horrible, horrible! Bad end to our trip.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I read the most recent review and it's like they took the words straight from my mouth. I came here with my cousin on my last night in Oahu. She lives here and this was her 4th time at the restaurant. There are only maybe 6 parking spots, so we had to park on the street. There was a small wait, but it was ok. Once we were seated it was probably around 7:30 and it took 15 minutes before a waiter came to get our drink orders. By then we were ready to order food as well. We ordered nachos as an appetizer. It took close to half an hour for us to get those. That's the longest I have ever waited at a Mexican restaurant for food. Thankfully they brought out my 3 year old nieces kids meal. I thought that we would get our entrees right after the appetizier, but I was wrong. It took another 30-40 minutes before we got our meal. We actually had to ask another waiter and he looked surprised at us and went to go check on our food. They had messed up on my brother's order because he ordered a crunchy carne asada taco and they brought it out as a soft taco and told him they don't make those crunchy, even though the waiter let him order it that way. It was such a horrible experience. Usually Mexican restaurants give you your food in 10-15 minutes. I have never waited this long. The worse thing is that people around us were all getting food. Honestly, I felt very unwanted and unwelcome. It was like we were a nuisance and just forgotten. Our waiter was so unfriendly and did not check on us once the hour + we waited for food. I don't like suggesting this, but maybe it's because we were white and not a high priority for them. My cousin said that when she comes with her Hispanic husband the service is awesome and they always chat with him. She was shocked at how horrible this experience was. Please, take my advice and avoid this place. There are plenty of other places to try in the area. Don't risk having your evening ruined by rude service and lackluster food.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Poor service, below average food terrible parking”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Parking was terrible, cars parked double in the handicapped stall. Waiter took the order from a table that came in 10 minutes after us and they got their food 25 minutes before us. It appears take out orders were highest priority. We waited 1 hour for our order to arrive (3 people) and when asked for more chips and dip we were told the second basket wasn't free. Food was below average. Green sauce was watery. Chimichanga came with rice and beans but was told there was rice and beans inside. Waiter visited with a favorite table next to us then ignored our table's empty drinks. Would only go again if Serge's goes out of business.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dayton, Ohio, United States
“Great Mexican Food!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We did a search for "Mexican Food" on Yelp and came up with this restaurant. It was a great experience! The food was great and the price was right! The "Super Burrito" was awesome! Don't miss the desserts. The Churros were the best we've ever tasted. We also tried the "Banana Flautas" and they were also amazing! So, overall a great, authentic Mexican restaurant with great service and a great price!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Absolutely excellent authentic Mexican food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The existance of this gem of an eating place was shared with us by an Hawaiian resident. We were pleasantly delighted with the atmosphere, service, and delicious food. I recommend that everyone visit this establishment for some excellent Mexican cuisine...and their Pina Coladas are to die for! We will definitely visit there again!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere