“Perfect hotel for our trip.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
7 days or more save 15%
Ranked #44 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Kansas City, Missouri
“Perfect hotel for our trip.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

My fiancé and I came to Waikiki for nine days to get married and have a honeymoon. The Waikiki Prince was in the perfect location to get to everything! Right in the middle of Waikiki, right by all of the shuttle pickups, right by a bus stop, and most importantly, a two minute walk to the beach. We were on the sixth floor and could see the ocean from our balcony. The kitchenette was wonderful and saved us a lot of money since we cooked breakfast at the hotel everyday. It also had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. From the outside it's not the prettiest, and it's certainly not a fancy resort. But in my opinion it was much better. The staff was friendly, the room was big, and it felt like we had our own little apartment right in the heart of Waikiki.

• Stayed September 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We took the city bus from the airport. Only a $1 for Srs. 2short blocks from last stop. Not at all fancy. Management nice. No elevator to top floor, but no problem for us. 2 blocks to beach and shopping all around. Close to Hiatt.

Room Tip: Choose top floor., less noise and private.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Florham Park, New Jersey, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

So there are no misunderstandings, if this hotel were to be rated solely on furnishings, it would be a 3 star. While the bedding was crisp, the carpeting fairly new and the bathroom clean, several parts of the unit could be improved. Some of the walls need patching, some of the larger appliances had exterior rust that could be sanded and painted over, the burners on the combo stove / refrigerator had been removed and covered up and a separate stove put in. Unit includes toaster, rice cooker, coffee maker, microwave and refrigerator, so you can cook as much as you wish. I originally thought they should have taken care of the ice build-up in the freezer. But after a stay in a B&B on Maui, I was stunned to see how much ice built up in 3 days due to the high humidity in Hawaii (which you often don't feel because of the steady trade winds).

The upgrade to 4 starts is due rating in the value category and the great location. A block off the beach right in the center of Waikiki. Several restaurants nearby. Effective A/C to cool down after being in the summer heat. There are four on-site parking spaces that are cheaper than the public parking and should be reserved in advance. It may be possible to find on-street parking nearby, but we were there during Iselle and didn't want to chance any damage. No worries about safety. Friendly staff. So if you are looking for value in Waikiki and don't plan to spend a lot of time in your hotel room, this is a good bet.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Only one block back from the beach and right in the heart of Waikiki. Hotel is half the price of those on the beach yet you can still get partial ocean views from the balconies. Low rise buildings out from preserve an open airy feel and it was pretty quiet with good sleep quality. Rooms are relatively small but come well equipped with table and chairs, a/c, tea and coffee and a small kitchenette with microwave so you can cook meals and save costs. Outside appearance lets the hotel down a little (a high pressure water jet clean of stairs and walkways would do wonders) but inside the rooms and bedding was very clean, light and airy. The good value was capped off by friendly helpful staff - well done Terri, thank you :)

Room Tip: Higher levels have better view and less street noise
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

As the Royal Hawaiian is a bit out of my price range, I opted for the Waikiki Prince after reading reviews on Tripadvisor, Moon Handbook, and Lonely Planet.

Location is a major plus--a short two block walk puts you on Waikiki, right at the statue of Duke the Surfer, a Waikiki landmark. I stayed here several nights with my daughter and then several more nights with my travel partner, a total of eleven nights in May and June, 2014. Over the course of my stays I was in three different rooms.

All rooms were reasonably clean. I never used the kitchenette for cooking, but was able to save money by enjoying cereal and fruit for breakfast in the room. Several restaurants are close by, and as you are off the beach the prices can be affordable.

Parking can be an issue. There are a few parking spots at the hotel, and you have to pay an extra $20 a night for one of them. If you are using a car, it would be worthwhile to make sure to reserve a parking spot in advance.

There is nothing fancy about the Waikiki Prince--no beautiful lobby, no one to carry bags to your room, no daily housekeeping. I was not in Hawaii to enjoy such things. And if you want a beautiful lobby, the Moana Surfrider and the Royal Hawaiian are within ten to fifteen minutes walking time.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

As long as you come to this hotel with the right expectations, I don't think you'll be disappointed. It is not a resort, it is not situated directly on the beach, it doesn't have daily room cleaning or a handful of other services. If this is what you're looking for, then don't come here.

If you want (probably) the best budget hotel in Waikiki, don't mind being off the beach by (only) 2 blocks, want to rent your own private parking space (as opposed to other hotels which often let non-guests rent spots), and don't mind dated furniture, then this is where you should stay.

The rooms are clean, the area is safe, and the staff is friendly. Our vacation to Hawaii was expensive enough, so staying at a $400/night hotel was not an option for us, however we also wanted to be close enough to the "action" that we didn't feel like our hotel location was a burden. While the hotel itself does not get a 5/5 rating, it is does get an 'excellent' for what we wanted/needed it for.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I stayed here for 1.5 weeks in July, 2014 and was massively impressed. It was significantly cheaper than any other hotel I could find in the area and it's location was better. It takes about 2 mins to walk to Waikiki Beach, it's less than a 5mins walk to multiple bus stops and many of the island or experience tours leave from just around the corner. (If you are using a Go O'ahu card, this hotel is in the ideal location) I never had to walk more than 500m for any activity pickup.

My room was old but it was very clean and the bed was comfortable. I definitely didn't see any of the bugs some reviews mention. It had more than everything I needed and I was in their "very small room, no kitchenette". This still included an en suite, bedside table, wardrobe, several drawers for storage, a mini fridge, a microwave, a TV, toaster, coffee maker, alarm clock, plenty of power outlets (in good locations) and free wifi. The only thing not in the room was a phone but it was clearly explained that the one downstairs could be used and given that I had a mobile phone anyway it didn't concern me. The hotel also had washing facilities ($3.50 does a wash and dry and they sell soap powder for $1.00). I did a huge load with no problems. There is also a safe in the office which can be used. I was a little nervous to stay alone but the area felt safe, there were lots of great street performers nearby and the security of the hotel meant I wasn't at all ever worried about my safety.

Some of the reviews complain about the noise but other than a few sirens during the night or an occasional loud guest at the restaurant across the road, I didn't find there to be any significant noise issues. Keeping in mind that you're in Waikiki, some noise is to be expected! It definitely didn't hinder sleep at all.

All staff encountered went above and beyond as far as customer service goes. Borrowing beach towels or beach equipment downstairs (for free!) was convenient and never too much trouble. The manager is on site and guests are given contact information for him upon arrival. They were more than happy to hold my bags when I arrived early and also held them after I'd checked out, for the remainder of my day until airport pick up. After meeting lots of people staying in much more expensive places, I'm extremely happy with my choice, especially given a number of them were needing to catch a bus to get to anywhere.

I have already started recommending this hotel to friends and family.

Mahalo Waikiki Prince!

Room Tip: I stayed in 506 and you could glimpse the water of Waikiki beach from the balcony. The elevator only...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Been to Waikiki Prince? Share your experiences!