“You get more than what you pay for!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
7 day or more save 10%
Ranked #34 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
USA
“You get more than what you pay for!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

As long as you come to this hotel with the right expectations, I don't think you'll be disappointed. It is not a resort, it is not situated directly on the beach, it doesn't have daily room cleaning or a handful of other services. If this is what you're looking for, then don't come here.

If you want (probably) the best budget hotel in Waikiki, don't mind being off the beach by (only) 2 blocks, want to rent your own private parking space (as opposed to other hotels which often let non-guests rent spots), and don't mind dated furniture, then this is where you should stay.

The rooms are clean, the area is safe, and the staff is friendly. Our vacation to Hawaii was expensive enough, so staying at a $400/night hotel was not an option for us, however we also wanted to be close enough to the "action" that we didn't feel like our hotel location was a burden. While the hotel itself does not get a 5/5 rating, it is does get an 'excellent' for what we wanted/needed it for.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

I stayed here for 1.5 weeks in July, 2014 and was massively impressed. It was significantly cheaper than any other hotel I could find in the area and it's location was better. It takes about 2 mins to walk to Waikiki Beach, it's less than a 5mins walk to multiple bus stops and many of the island or experience tours leave from just around the corner. (If you are using a Go O'ahu card, this hotel is in the ideal location) I never had to walk more than 500m for any activity pickup.

My room was old but it was very clean and the bed was comfortable. I definitely didn't see any of the bugs some reviews mention. It had more than everything I needed and I was in their "very small room, no kitchenette". This still included an en suite, bedside table, wardrobe, several drawers for storage, a mini fridge, a microwave, a TV, toaster, coffee maker, alarm clock, plenty of power outlets (in good locations) and free wifi. The only thing not in the room was a phone but it was clearly explained that the one downstairs could be used and given that I had a mobile phone anyway it didn't concern me. The hotel also had washing facilities ($3.50 does a wash and dry and they sell soap powder for $1.00). I did a huge load with no problems. There is also a safe in the office which can be used. I was a little nervous to stay alone but the area felt safe, there were lots of great street performers nearby and the security of the hotel meant I wasn't at all ever worried about my safety.

Some of the reviews complain about the noise but other than a few sirens during the night or an occasional loud guest at the restaurant across the road, I didn't find there to be any significant noise issues. Keeping in mind that you're in Waikiki, some noise is to be expected! It definitely didn't hinder sleep at all.

All staff encountered went above and beyond as far as customer service goes. Borrowing beach towels or beach equipment downstairs (for free!) was convenient and never too much trouble. The manager is on site and guests are given contact information for him upon arrival. They were more than happy to hold my bags when I arrived early and also held them after I'd checked out, for the remainder of my day until airport pick up. After meeting lots of people staying in much more expensive places, I'm extremely happy with my choice, especially given a number of them were needing to catch a bus to get to anywhere.

I have already started recommending this hotel to friends and family.

Mahalo Waikiki Prince!

Room Tip: I stayed in 506 and you could glimpse the water of Waikiki beach from the balcony. The elevator only...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Queensland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We stayed in Waikiki Prince Hotel on our first arrival to Waikiki and subsequently when we came back from Big Island. Chardonnay the reception staff was very helpful and friendly. She is always cheerful and went above and beyond her duties to help us find out info we needed. Mahalo Chardonnay.
The rooms were clean and have everything we needed. Wifi worked perfectly in both rooms we stayed in. It's 2 mins away from the beach and nearby little eateries. Very convenient to everything. It's not a luxury hotel but definitely value for money. Will recommend this place.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I generally have some very basic qualifiers for any hotel; it should be clean, comfortable, convenient and have a staff that seems to care to some degree about its customers. Coming from an area with a lot of high end luxury resorts, there is always the danger of using these as the litmus test. Its not always a fair comparison, especially when you are trying to save a few bucks and balance budget with an enjoyable stay. The Waikiki Prince worked out great in this regard. It is one of those properties where you need to forget the first impression, and instead, scrutinize everything around you. Our room had a full size bed and a twin size bed for our son. The walls in the room looked like they had fairly fresh paint. It had a kitchenette with a medium sized fridge, stove/oven, microwave and plates/silverware. No sign of bed bugs anywhere. The room was clean, as was the bathroom. One real high point was the very friendly and accommodating staff. There was no doubt that they had that spirit of service that you would hope for everywhere you stay. From the resident manager to all the folks in the front office, they were helpful and friendly and willing to make sure we were taken care of. From providing directions to giving suggestions to save on souvenirs to providing beach towels, beach chairs and even helping with online check-in for our flight out, every interaction was positive. Does this property offer a beautiful view of the ocean or a pool or an impressive lobby; no. But, what it does offer is a very short walk to Waikiki beach, a very reasonable rate, friendly staff, a clean room, Wi-Fi, security measures and cool air conditioning. If you are ready to visit Hawaii and deal with credit card bills for a long time, then go for the very expensive luxury properties that can be found in the Honolulu area. If you plan to stay in a clean place to sleep, maybe a place to prepare a few meals and save money and someplace convenient to the beach, then this hotel will work for you. I would return. If they will put a hook on the back of the bathroom door, I would be completely pleased, but as it stands, the people who work there and the location and clean room are enough.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor overlooking a rental lot. I would choose a floor, if available, that is a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Macedon, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

After booking this hotel, we advised them that our flight would not arrive until later in the evening, so we would require a late check-in. We arrived approximately 8:25 pm to find the door locked and a sign saying that office hours were 8 am to 8 pm. Another sign listed our name as a late check-in, and instructed us to ring the intercom or the cell phone number that was provided. We repeatedly tried the intercom and the cell number, but could not get any answer.

At 9 pm, we gave up and were lucky enough to get another room at a nearby hotel for that night. We left another message on the cell number provided by the Waikiki Prince telling them that we had to go to another hotel. At least it appears that the Waikiki Prince did not charge our credit card after failing to let us in.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
waikikiprincehotel, General Manager at Waikiki Prince, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Aloha Colleen017,
I am sorry to hear about this situation. Our intercom system generally works well, calling several different numbers to different people. The cell phone backup also should have worked just in case the intercom did not work. It would really help if you could send me your date of check in and your real name. I will check the cameras and call records to see what went wrong. You can respond to me directly at waikikiprincehotelgm@gmail.com
Mahalo
Sterling Heights, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Would definitely recommend this hotel for a short visit to Honolulu! They were very accommodating extending our check out time a few hours so we could enjoy the beach! Thanks Chardonnay!! She even went out of her way to verify our shuttle to the pier! Clean, safe budget hotel with a great location to Waikiki Beach!

Stayed July 2014
Aloha Vernnie,
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I will let Chardonnay know she did a great job. Some shuttle companies don't know where we are, or don't think people know where they want to go. We are happy to have assist you on your way to your next adventure.
Mahalo
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

The location was excellent, next to the Waikiki Beach, bus stops, shops, restaurants etc. The rooms were clean and the area is very safe. Ours was a twin room, the second bed was not confortable. There was also a small kitchen.
The wifi was not working at all and this is an issue for me. The staff was very helpful but they could not do much.
Compared to other properties in the area, this hotel is quite cheap. If you want more services (better view, better room interior, reliable internet) look for something else.

Room Tip: Avoid the last flour.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Aloha Dawgette ,
Thank you for your review. We were trying to upgrade the system during your stay. The new system did not work to expectation and we went back to our old system. The previous system was working for the past 7 months without much problems. I will look into the bed issue. We changed out the majority of our beds in the past 6 months. The other beds are roughly 2-3 years old.
Mahalo,

Been to Waikiki Prince? Share your experiences!