“Goodness, it's old” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 83 Hotels in Honolulu
Singapore
“Goodness, it's old”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Decided to book this hotel following recommendation by tripadvsor. Never imagined what old and backward was till we checked in to our room. Everything was old, old and old. Nothing in the room was up to date. CRT TV, lights, spring mattress, cooker, noisy casement AIrcon, toilet, etc. size of room was also small... However it was clean and thankfully, we managed to get good sleep after a tiring day out.
Will consider paying slightly more if I can find another hotel with better experience.
Thumbs up to Staff who were extremely helpful and friendly though.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank kelaitre
waikikiprincehotel, General Manager at Waikiki Prince, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Aloha Kelaitre,
We are sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations. The photos on tripadvisor or our website give an accurate description of what our rooms look like. We are in the process of updating our hotel but most of changes will happen gradually. I will let the staff know they did a great job.
Mahalo

hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Pretty basic and simple place to stay close to beach.Room was clean.For the price its what I needed.No pool but 5 minutes to nice beach.Resturants and shopping everywhere.Bus system is good if you need to go anywhere.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank lankyswimmer
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Stayed one day on each end of a 1 week cruise. Our travel needs are pretty minimal-a place to sleep and shower. Price was far lower than any other hotels in the middle of the Waikiki area. Positives, were cost/value, location, WiFi, and staff flexibility. The only negative is that the rooms were aged and could use minor "facelift" type maintenance (paint, caulk, etc), but everything functions and is clean. Parking is available for $20 (turned out to be an excellent deal).

Location was great--walk to beach, resorts, restaurants, and bus routes. The staff was extremely helpful in accommodating some special requests to meet our schedule. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Willie555
Metropolis, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

This place was definitely not as advertised or as highly reviewed by the Tripadvisor community.

It's definitely a budget hotel and there's nothing wrong with that but I felt it was my duty to warn other visitors on what they should really expect from this hotel. First off, for about $100 a night there are much better options out there that you should look at first. Secondly, when it comes to cleanliness and the real reason why I felt compelled to write this review, this hotel leaves much to be desired. Now mind you, I'm not someone who books a budget hotel expecting much but my experience at this hotel was just ridiculous. This was one of the few times that I was contemplating leaving the hotel in the middle of the night to look for another. The minute I entered the room I noticed that it had not been cleaned properly. There was still trash and other items left behind. I decided to ignore this and move on with my stay. Then when day turned into night the roaches started coming out of the woodworks left and right. It was pretty gross, which was the front desk person's exact words. The front desk was the only thing about this place that I could say was positive but other than that, there was nothing else that would make me wanna stay here again.

Hotel sits right next door to a Hostel. Kind of ironic considering it's basically an overpriced Hostel IMO.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
7 Thank travelinggnome33
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

very nice hotel manager like old friend. well-equipped facilities and high value of the stay. very comfortable and clean. conveniently-located and 3 min walk to the beach. would recommend and every of my friends who'd going for budget hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Michelle C
Honolulu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Just returned from a 9 night stay at the Prince, and want to thank the staff for a great stay. They are obviously glad to see you, and do everything they can to make your visit a good one. Coffee is free in room, great wi fi, and some rooms have a small kitchen. Would be kinda cool if they figured out a space for a small lounge area.....might be fun to visit with some of the diverse group of people that stay here. Prices are not as cheap as they used to be....I hope management does not get to greedy, like many properties close by. I will be back!

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor to avoid street noise, and the rental lot next to hotel, which sometimes fire...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank Dave A
Manahawkin, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Waikiki Prince for 5 days during an 8 day stay in Oahu, Hawaii. I'm not a wealthy person but I saved up to take my woman to Hawaii. I didn't want to spend all my money on accommodations so I looked at the "budget" hotels and found the Waikiki Prince, and I am so happy I did.

Location is perfect. Two or so blocks from Waikiki beach, the heart of tourist Honululu. The address is easy to find from the airport although be aware there is a 1 way road. Also my advice is to buy the parking space at the hotel because public spaces can be near or far. The only thing to know is the hotels parking lot is tiny, so be mindful if you have a large vehicle. I was fine and loved being able to park at the hotel.

Cleanliness was on par. Nothing spectacular but certainly not lacking in any way.

The room was a joy. Spacious bedroom, comfy bedding, large bathroom with a large shower and best of all was the kitchen. Fully stocked with a stove, microwave, fridge and freezer, cupboards full of cookware and utensils. To save more money you can buy groceries and cook whatever you want in the hotel room. That was a big plus to me. Another big plus was the free wifi.

Service was very good. I didn't request anything special but was always greeted with a smile. Beach chairs, towels and boogey boards were available free of charge as long as we brought them back. The front desk girl gave us some good advice on where to go and avoid too, which was nice of her.

Value was excellent. For what I spent I was sleeping within a stones toss of Waikiki beach. I didn't need a resort or spa, I simply wanted a decent bed with a roof over my head. I was so happy with the Waikiki Prince, it doesn't pretend to be anything it isn't.

I spent my last few days in Hawaii staying nearer to the north of Oahu because we were driving all over the island. I was sad to say goodbye to the Waikiki Prince when it came time to leave. Their business card is still in my Hawaii photo album.

Someday I will bring my wife back to Hawaii. We had a perfect vacation, partially because we had money left over after saving on accommodations. When I return I am definitely staying again at the Waikiki Prince. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a great place to rest at the end of the day.

• Stayed November 2013