“Super” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands
“Super”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Cheap hotel with confortable rooms with airco and kitchenette,few minutes walk from the beach, friendly staff. This time we rent a car and we could park the car at their private parking. We will be back next year.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stay there every time we come to Oahu! Cheap, clean comfortable rooms with kitchenette, which is very convienient. Parking space on request. Superb location! Only 2 min walks from Waikiki beach! Very friendly and helpful staff! Can't wait to be back again thanks to Ashley, Jenna and Lincoln!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Hradec Kralove, CZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is sort of a pre-stay review. I have stayed at the Waikiki Prince in late 2007 and was extremely happy. The location of the hotel was (is) excellent, rates hard to beat and rooms adequate for our expectation - a decent place to crash for the night as who sane would sit in their hotel room while in Hawaii, right?
At that time, the hotel manager(?) called Mozah was very helpful and attentive in respoding via e-mail to our reservation requests and additional requests concerning parking, etc.
As a satisfied customer I was more than happy to recommend this place to friends and family members, including my brother for his trip to Hawaii planned for Sept. 2012 and even offered him to arrange the reservation for him.
I have filled out the "room request form" on their website... no reply. Sent an e-mail a week later to the adress specified on their website...no reply either. Called them twice within a span of about a week asking about the status of my reservation request. Always been told that the "manager is working on it" and even though I asked for a confirmation I have never received any.
Gave up on them and booked someplace else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I like to stay at budget hotels, and this was just okay. Nothing worth raving about, but not a horrible experience either. Stayed 5 nights earlier in July (room 603).

Positives:
-Location is excellent. It's only a couple of minutes walk from the beach.
-Price per night is extremely hard to beat. I also appreciated the upgraded room -- we reserved an economy kitchenette but because they were renovating (I think), they gave us a standard kitchenette.
-Room is pretty clean. The only exception is that the kitchenette floor felt a bit sticky, so I tended to wear my flip flops around the room.

Negatives:
-(As others have mentioned) The noise. It sometimes was so loud that I thought we had left our window open, but we did not. Also, please be courteous if you are on the lanai late at night -- One night, a few people were chatting it up at 2-3 IN THE MORNING making it even more difficult to sleep.
-The office hours. Yes, I knew from the start that the hours were 9am-6pm. There was only 1 day where we were at the hotel during those hours (except for our arrival and departure) ... and that was to change clothes for a wedding in the evening. Good thing I remembered to run down and swap for new towels that day!
-There is a ~1 foot strip of frosted glass that runs parallel to the length of the front door (in our room at least). Because there is no curtain or blinds to cover it, at night a lot of light is able to enter the room. (Another reason it was difficult to sleep at times.)
-We spotted what looked like a crack pipe (?) on the floor of the elevator for a couple of days. A bit weird, but fortunately we didn't see any sketchy people around.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Private
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Look everyone wants to go to Hawai'i without going bankrupt and Waikiki Prince is the way. When I saw the website the rates seemed "Too good to be true". I was expecting roaches and a disease as take away, but the place is exactly as the other reviewers described. I am not going to repeat the other comments. I just wanted to go on record stating that as of June 2012, Waikiki Prince is still the perfect place for budget travelers.

The location is convenient walking distance to all points of interest in Waikiki. You have easy access to the bus system, which is convenient for most nearby locations. In the lobby there are beach chairs and other items for use. The front desk lady was EXCELLENT! She was a wealth of local cost saving information. The place definitely needs remodeling, but I didn't care since I was gone all day exploring Hawai'i. The only minor irritation is the Harley and car rental place downstairs. The revving gets annoying. Again, I was gone most of the day and they close around 5 pm. My favorite part was snickering at the tourists staying at the $2-$500 a night hotels. Suckers!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
bellingham, wa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a week in June. It is a very basic hotel, but it has pretty much everything you could need if you are not high maintenance. I checked in late, and the girl at the front desk had everything ready for me, even though they were closed. She even walked me through how to get to the parking garage near by when I called her cell phone.

The room itself was nothing fancy by any means, but it was clean enough. And they actually cleaned it twice during my stay, which was awesome. The worst thing about the room was that the bed was super hard and uncomfortable, I couldn't even sleep the first night. I would recommend going to Walmart or something and buying a cheap egg shell mattress topper. Very worth it. The location was amazing, a block and a half from the beach. But I would recommend renting a car and getting out of the city. I did every day and it never got old. The entire island is beautiful and worth seeing and experiencing.

Overall, I have a good experience at this hotel and really have nothing negative to say. The people were friendly enough, and always helped me with anything I needed. I even ended up parking at the hotel last minute. They have chairs and mats at your disposal. The thing I like most was the laid back feel of the hotel. You just do your own thing and they will help you if you need it, but are never in your face or over the top. I would stay here again in a heart beat if I am still on a tight budget.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have a larger lanai. The higher the better.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
St. Albert
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights. We are seniors and all we want is a clean place to sleep and prepare meals and the Waikiki Prince is perfectly adequate for us.

There is no pool, minibar or pay preview TV. Instead you get an excellent price for a clean room, with kitchenette in a very good location.

The room we had contained everything we really needed. Bathroom with shower, soap and shampoo and a couple of towels. We asked for one more towel and was given one.

The kitchenette had a fridge, microwave, toaster over, stove , coffee maker , pots and pans and utensils. These are quite old, in fact our coffee maker was leaking but when we pointed this out to the staff, who are extremely friendly and helpful, we were given a brand new one.

There is no daily maid service but on our 4 th day we got back in the room to find the bed linen had been changed and new towels.

Parking must be booked in advance, and for which there is an additional charge, as there are only about 5 spots in a very small space that can be a little tricky to drive in or out of. If you intend to spend all your time in Waikiki you do not need a car.

The Waikiki Prince provides Wi fi in the office area not the rooms but I was often able to connect to the Internet through some other network operating in the area. They provide beach chairs, mats and towels for you to take to the beach which is just two short blocks away.

The rooms have AC which we only used on very still days. Most days there was good natural ventilation and cooling. We also used it on occasion so we could close the lanai doors so as to shut out street noises.

There is no safe in the room but you can store valuables in the office safe.

The location is convenient but is next door to a place that rents cars, motor cycles, scooters and bicycles also general street noise and sounds from sunset shows at the beach mean it can get noisy so earplugs are a good idea.

WP met our expectations for a budget hotel. Sure it has seen better days but it is cheap, clean and has all you really need. I doubt we will come back to Oahu, we prefer other islands, but if we do would have no problem staying here for a few days. If we were planning a longer stay we might look elsewhere because if you want to have a day to do nothing but chill out there is nothing to do at this hotel. If it were a little quieter I would have given it 5 stars not for facilities but because it is excellent value for money.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Waikiki Prince? Share your experiences!