“If you're looking for an inexpensive place to crash in Waikiki, this is the place.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Waikiki Gateway Hotel

Save Saved
You added Waikiki Gateway Hotel to your Saves list
Waikiki Gateway Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2070 Kalakaua Ave, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815   |
Ranked #69 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel three times in the last year, and I think that's enough for me.
While the lobby is lovely and modern, and the front desk staff are awesome, courteous, and very helpful, the rooms themselves are not great at all. With the exception if the penthouses, which are modern and pretty affordable for the location, the rooms are pretty bad.
The bed in the room I last stayed in had a visible crater right in the center. The bathrooms are like tiny holes with low ceilings.
I did enjoy my kitchenette room on my second stay, though I did see a couple of small roaches.(It is Hawaii, after all!)
The WIFI is ridiculous! It costs $10 per day and loads sooooo slooooow. Forget watching a movie on Netflix, it will constantly stop to buffer and you'll forget the plot. (WIFI is free in the penthouses)
All in all, if your main goal when coming to Hawaii is to be outside and enjoy the culture and activities of the island, this is a great, affordable choice.

• Stayed April 2013
Uhanekai A, Director of Sales at Waikiki Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Aloha,

Mahalo for selecting the Waikiki Gateway Hotel, as your home away from home!

The Waikiki Gateway hotel is continuing our property upgrades including:

*New ultra plush bedding & cozy linen

*Continuous upgrade to our breakfast menu giving our guest a different variety daily

We know that the value and the location where we are is un beat! We would love to welcome you back to enjoy all we have to offer!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have stayed at the Gateway many times the last time being June 2013. The Gateway is in a great position and have always found the staff friendly and efficient. During my last stay we had and emergency evacuation at 4.30am on the Saturday morning. although we where not impacted as much as others, I would like to congratulate the team for handling the situation
extremely well. I must admit I did find the whole thing stressful and climbing up 17 flights of stairs a challenge but we where pleasantly surprised when at least one lift was up and running by the afternoon and even more surprised when our rooms where even serviced on that same day. Well done all of you, will be back again next year.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed at the Waikiki Gateway Hotel for a few nights on a recent trip to Oahu. This hotel has a great location -- it's conveniently located next to the fancy stores (swing by Tiffany's perhaps) and the yummy restaurants including my favorite ramen place which is just across the street. You can walk to the beach in just a few minutes. The hotel staff was friendly, professional and efficient. We love that! We had a nice newly renovated modern room that had an amazing view of the beach from the balcony (see photo). The room was clean and simple. Bathroom reminded us of the bathrooms seen in nice Asian hotels... and it was actually larger than the other 4-star resort hotel we stayed at earlier in the week.

If you're a toiletry snob... they provide great toiletries... Bath & Body Works Rainkissed Leaves... smells awesome. They also give you toothbrushes and toothpaste and you don't even have to ask. Free beach towels are available at the front desk. We didn't use the pool since the ocean was down the street.

Highly recommend if you're looking for a clean place to stay in a great location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Uhanekai A, Director of Sales at Waikiki Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Aloha Crissy!

Thank you so very much for the wonderful comment! We are so thrilled you were able to advantage of our 16th or 17th floor guest rooms, indeed these guest rooms have fablous views of Waikiki or our shoreline, and yes comes with Bath & Body work bath amenities. Our guest rooms located on the 15th floor and lower can enjoy Noni- Noni was considered a sacred plant "longevity." Noni was noted to be a balancing agent, stabilizing the body in perfect health. When the time came for the brave explorers of the subcontinent to leave their old world behind, they took noni with them as an essential element in the establishment of their new island paradise.

Once again Mahalo for allowing the Waikiki Gateway Hotel! please allow us to welcome you back soon!
Athens, GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Our flight from Phoenix was delayed due to US Airways' incompetence (sidenote: don't ever fly them from the mainland), and even though I called to cancel our reservation for the night we would not be able to stay, they charged me anyway. I called reservations manager (Ky? Kai?) who was incredibly rude and what I felt to be dishonest: he claimed he'd "love to help" refund my money but that it was hotels.com's problem. When I talked to hotels.com, though, they stated the hotel had refused to work with them. What a lying miserable place. I called and left messages for the manager Sheryl, who never ever called me back. With service like this I'm surprised anyone stays here. There are nicer places in Waikiki who will treat you right!! The Marriott Resort on Waikiki Beach worked with us and were a service dream - stay there!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Uhanekai A, Director of Sales at Waikiki Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Aloha Ka kou!

The Waikiki Gateway hotel prides its self in legendary Hawaiian Hospitality, and im disappointed you were not able to experience this for yourself.

Per our telephone conversation you advised that your US airways flight from Phoenix Arizona was canceled due to mechanical issues. After verifying the information with the Airlines US airway flight 22 departed at 1:53pm and arrive into Honolulu at 5:47pm- On time!

The Hotel requires 72 hours in advance cancellation for all reservations, we will take in to consideration of any "Act of God" that we have no control over- after speaking to our reservations department, this call was escalated to my desk, and handled appropriately.

When an airline in fact experiences cancellations or mechanical issues, they will re accommodate their passengers including & up to compensation, there for it affects the Hotel as we held up our end by holding your reservations.

Once again on behalf of my staff and management, we are extremely sorry you never made it to Honolulu!

Me Ka Ha'a Ha'a
Uhanekai Arlantico
Sales & Reservations Manager
Irvine, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

You are only less than 5 minutes away from Waikiki Beach and the hotel has a modern feel to it as soon as you step into the front desk you know you came to the right place. The guest services are 5 stars with generous help from check in to check out. You never want to leave especially with the exceptional prices for ocean view/diamond head view rooms. I go to hawaii every other month and don't go to any other place than the gateway hotel. Its the gateway to heaven. I highly reccomend this hotel to my friends and family hands down. The other commercialized hotels are snooty but not the gateway. Every guest is VIP and I love it here and will always come back her hands down. =)
Dyon Kwon

Room Tip: Corner suites are larger and has great views of waikiki and diamond head.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Aloha ka kou Mr Kwon!

Mahalo for allowing the Waikiki Gateway Hotel to welcome you back!
Koloa, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

very simple, fairly clean and good location. no frills at all. bathrooms need updating. this is an old hotel that needs renovation. staff friendly. parking is expensive at 25 bucks but no other choice. i would not want to do an extended stay there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha Ka kou Ellen!

Mahalo nui loa for allowing the Waikiki Gateway Hotel for your over night stay in Honolulu! We are glad we met your standards!

The Waikiki Gateway Hotel does offer parking at $24.99 per night, this rate is comparable for the surrounding hotels in our neighborhood, we are please to be one of the hotel offer the convenience of valet parking! The King Kalakaua Building one block away offers public parking at a rate of 15.00 for 24 hours which is another option for guest. I noticed your town is Koloa, we are also delighted to welcome Na Kaamaaina & Military personal with a discounted rate for parking with proper ID. Please allow us to welcome you back.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

*Parking $24.99/day w/ Mandatory valet but Mopeds are free. If noone is around and you don't want to wait, you can park it up and bring the key to the front desk, just ask if it is OK beforehand.
*There is a shuttle bus ($14 RT or $8 one way) - You pay the driver.
*There are computers in the biz centre but you have to setup an account and pay by tthe min/hr for the internet.
*The beds were extremely comfortable and CLEAN but with the AC it was still a little hot but manageable. Had to shut the balcony doors at night b/c of the noise but it didn't keep me up at night.
*The room istelf didn't seem to have any major defaults but the bathroom did leave little to be desired. There wasn't much pressure in the shower and trying to find a temperature that wasn't an extreme was annoying but I have had worse.
*The staff were very nice and accomodating. One woman even let us use her cell phone to call home b/c we couldn't get the long distance to work on the pay phone. Housekeeping did a fantastic job everyday as we are very messy people.
*There is an ABC attached to the hotel which was conveninent and I was very grateful for, but they are everywhere.
*Great location, just minutes from the beach and Kalakuau Ave which has some great shopping. It was a very reasonable price and I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Honolulu.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Aloha ka kou!

Mahalo for allowing the Waikiki Gateway Hotel to be your home away from home! The Waikiki Gateway Hotel does offer the convenience of valet parking to our guest at a rate of 24.99 per night. This rate is comparable to the surrounding hotels. One block over guest can park at a lower rate allowing self parking, although they are not a part of the Waikiki Gateway Hotel this is another option for parking in Waikiki.

Please allow us to welcome you back!

PS: Mahalo for posting those great photo's!

Been to Waikiki Gateway Hotel? Share your experiences!