“Nice hotel but nothing special” 3 of 5 stars

Waikiki Gateway Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2070 Kalakaua Ave, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815   |
Ranked #66 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Colorado, United States
“Nice hotel but nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Stayed here in April for a week while on vacation. Got a great rate through Zozi.com ($319 for 4 nights and then purchased a night through the hotel for about $85). We were given a room on the 11th floor, corner balcony which was really nice!! We were able to keep the sliding glass door open most of the time- although the sirens woke me up more times than I expected (not the hotel's fault though). Did come back to the room a couple times to find pigeons checking out the room as well.

Good location- was at the end of Kalakaua Ave. (close to the Coach store). So walking didn't seem horrible. ABC Stores all over- but very nice having one next to the hotel lobby where you can grab a snack or a drink to take to your room.

Hotel lobby can be a bit deceiving- its nice and updated, although I had already checked out the reviews already so I knew what to kind of expect. Got up to the 11th floor and it was definitely dated. The room itself also very dated. However, as you're in Hawaii to see the sights, beaches, etc. I wasn't overly concerned. The room did smell pretty bad when running the air conditioning so we had to go down to the ABC Store (great convenience by the way!) to get air freshener. My biggest complaint would be the carpet- seemed really dirty to me and a lot of the time I wore flip flops while walking around in the room. Noise didn't seem to be a problem- although the first night the neighbors were a but nosy (sounded like they were boxing up stuff and the sound of tape being torn off the roll was horrible!). Banged on the wall a few times and they quieted down.

Breakfast in their restaurant was ok as well. Restaurant was also very outdated, but considering breakfast came with the room rate, I couldn't complain. After 5 days though of eating the same thing (fried rice, waffles or french toast, bacon, and honey nut cherrios) I was slightly glad to be going home. There was a little more to eat than mentioned, but given the HUGE Asian clientele I knew they were also catering to them. Could have gone off property to eat, but eating there helped save a lot of money.

Staff was extremely friendly!! In the morning when walking by, if they weren't helping check in customers, got a hello from them and same in the evening. Calling down with questions, never had an unpleasant experience either. Breakfast staff was also very friendly- almost every morning stopping by our breakfast table to chat with us or ask about plans for the day or what we'd seen and done.

Overall, because the purpose of the stay wasn't too spend a lot of time in the room (out by 9 AM and in by 10 PM), I would go back. If I had more money in my budget, I'd definitely check out another hotel- just for a different experience. But for what the price and what is offered, not horrible.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

Great location! Theres Reason why it's called the Gateway, right at the entrance of Waikiki! Room was spacious, ample natural light. Room was on the 8 th floor. Room showed its age, needs a lot of work. The rooms design was still from back in the 70's and 80's. At night the room needs better lighting. WIFI you have to pay for access, other hotels its free. The bathrooms had a moldy/musty smell. Carpets were stained, lanai had mildew growing. The staff was not very informative. We had to ask about the complimentary breakfast which is part of the room. Overall I was very disappointed with the stay. It's a landmark hotel on Waikiki, I would think it would be the model hotel for that area but it's not. Spend the extra 50 dollars and stay at the Hyatt, thats what we did.

• Stayed August 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I stayed in Waikiki Gateway hotel for 4 days last week. Location is good as it is located in honolulu downtown. However, I was really disappointed with very poor hotel system.

My friend made a reservation under his name, but his flight was delayed, so I arrived in the hotel early with all information such as reservation name, booking number, friend's phone-number, address and so on. Actually I had a reseravtion e-mail also.

However, the hotel did not allow me to let me in because just the reservation name was different. They said he should call the hotel or he should arrive in the hotel. Actually he was in the flight, so he was unable to give a call. I undertand the hotel rule, but I think that there should an exception in this case, but they repeately said I can go into the hotel room only when he arrives or gives a call to hotel. It was so terrible !!!!

He arrived in the hotel exactly 8 hours later. During 8 hours, I wandered the street and just waited in the hotel lobby.

I reallly don't understand for whom this kind of rule exists. To follow the rule, they do not care about clients !! They do not care whether the client should wait 5 hours or 8 hours outside. We made a reservation through the waikiki gateway hotel website, so I had a reservation email, but they didn't made me to check in and get into the room

I will never use this hotel again, and I will not recommend this hotel to all my people who I know.
My first day of trip started very badly because of this ridiculous hotel system.
In this hotel, the rule is more important than clients. I realized this from this terrible experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

Hotel was very busy on arrival, unfortunately our room wasn't ready until mid afternoon (not a huge problem). Staff very friendly. We stayed in a "Penthouse Suite" - only thing Penthouse about it was it was on the top floor. Unfortunately no balcony, we did have ocean glimpses through windows. Room was very nice (it had been refurbished). From what I saw of rooms on lower levels, they weren't very nice, so if you get a chance take rooms on upper level.

Hotel was in a great location, very close to everything you could possibly need.

Room Tip: Choose penthouse suites if you can, get picked up a great special. Rooms on the tope floors are far...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

The hotel was clean and well managed , the prices were good too. The name gateway is exactly what it is . It is at the gateway to Waikiki. The bus stops at the front of the hotel . Waikiki is a short walk away as are the beaches and a huge park across the street. I have stayed here a number of times and I'll stay again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I wanted an inexpensive 2 night stay before going onto Kauai for the main part of my trip, this hotel was perfect! It is right across from the Army Park that leads to the beach, a comfortable stroll. The view from my room at night was stunningly beautiful and the aromas wafting from the Farmer's market on Saturday was so enticing I had to check it out... Lots of fresh produce and baked goodies at VERY reasonable prices. Grateful to have a fridge in the room to store my Pineapple and papaya! When in Paradise, expensive hotels are highly over-rated in my view! After all I only needed a place to sleep and a shower.. so this was perfect! The hotel staff were fantastic, they invited me to join a group on the terrace to watch Fireworks, but also instructions to the beach... it was great walking in the warm ocean while taking pictures of fireworks... Best relaxing time, I can remember in YEARS!!

Room Tip: I had a room facing the street.. it looked amazing as you will see in my photo! :) Also highly rec...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Orem
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed in this hotel four different times. Each room had a weird smell--even when we upgraded to the Kitchenette room. None of the rooms we stayed in had vents in the bathrooms (I started looking after I read an earlier review) so I'm not surprised all the rooms have a weird smell; there's no ventilation in the room. Mold is visible in some of the bathrooms, as well as the lanais. The beds were as hard as boards in all rooms but the Kitchenette room, and even then, only one of the beds was comfortable. If you book here, you might get lucky and get a comfy bed, but the odds are not in you favor. Oh, and don't plan on upgrading when you get there--we tried to do this every time and were only able to once.

Twice we got rooms that were so small we could barely fit ourselves and our 2 bags inside (they told us these were the "standard" rooms). Neither of these rooms had light switches--since we checked in at night we had to stumble our way to the bathroom to get any light. The first room has a tiny bed for two people--it couldn't have been more than a full. The other time we had two twin beds. I couldn't believe it. When 2 adults book a room, why on earth would they want two twin beds? We were on our honeymoon, so I was especially ticked off about that. When we went to talk to the front desk about it, they brushed us off and said there was nothing they could do. Even if that was true, they could have at least tried to be nice about it, instead of acting like we were putting them out.

The location isn't bad as far as shopping and beach goes (it is a 5-7 minute walk), but it does get very noisy at night when you are trying to sleep because you are next to a main road. The pool is tiny and not for swimming.

We never ate the breakfast here because of other reviews that said it was overpriced and not tasty.

The staff will say "aloha" when they see you, but if you actually need them to help you with anything, they'll act put out and be disagreeable.

Overall, if you have no sense of smell and are partially deaf, you will probably enjoy this hotel. If you have the money to upgrade to a better room, I would recommend staying at a different hotel (try the Aqua Aloha Surf for comparable prices). You might be one of the lucky ones who doesn't get a tiny room with rock-hard beds, but do you really want to risk it?

Room Tip: Don't get a standard room. Upgrades are a must if you want to have any hope of enjoying your sta...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Waikiki Gateway Hotel? Share your experiences!