“Oceanview Penthouse” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #66 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Oceanview Penthouse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Overall we enjoyed our penthouse room.

The view is AMAZING- check out the attached video clip. The windows are floor to ceiling. I have travelled to Hawai'i about twenty times in the past twenty year and believe me-- the penthouse rooms are an absolute bargain!

The bed are so, so soft and comfy and fitted with soft white sheets. The bathroom was completely remodeled with high-end materials-- travertene floors, glass tiles, raised sink.

The lobby has also been recently updates and is as modern as the penthouse. I don't think you can say the same for the floors in between. I wouldn't even consider staying in any of their other rooms. It looks way too dated for my taste. But again, the penthouse floor is amazingly modern, clean, and comfortable.

The staff is full of aloha-- something that seems harder to find these days in Waikiki. Dennis, the general manager, is to be commended. We had a difficult situation arise with another guest of the hotel and Dennis resolved the problem decisvely. I was very impressed with the front desk staff as well as the breakfast hostess.

A few negatives.

There seem to be a problem with the maid service. There was a day or two that we had to call the front desk to get the room cleaned. And on other days they didn't get to our room until well past 3:00. Once they didn't restock the bathroom with towels and such.

Also, we could hear our neighbors more than we wanted, esp. through the optional ajoining door.

Finally, some of the penthouse suites do not have lanais and the ones that do, the lanai can hardly accomodate two people sitting upright in a chair.

Would I stay there again? Yes, but only in the penthouses.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
banderson2070, reservation/sales Assoc. at Waikiki Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am very pleased to hear that are staff along with the hotel amenities were able to make your stay an enjoyable one.

We are very happy that your enjoyed our renovated Penthouse Suits and the views they offered. Regarding the Housekeeping issues I am very sorry to hear that your room was not adequately cleaned. We do encourage our guest to inform our front desk staff of any discrepancies you may have so that we can immediately fix and report the problem. Also, you may like to know that when we renovate the property next year we are adding another penthouse level that will offer Penthouse Suites with a much bigger lanai. So, it would be my pleasure to welcome you back for next year and please call ahead to make sure refurbishments have been completed.

Once again thank you very much for staying with us and look forward to seeing you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Korean first
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

I got to stay at the Waikiki Gateway thru an offer from LivingSocial. Thru some paid upgrades I stayed at an oceanview room - 1502 - from 10/26 thru 11/2.

Good Stuf... Location was EXCELLENT - at one end of Waikiki. Walking distance to so many places and not too far from the highway. The hotel staff was friendly and courteous. Couple days, the house keeping staff either didn't come by or we used our towels for the beach, we called for extra set of towels, they were brought immediately. They only have wi-fi in the lobby. They have a business center with 4 computers. Although, the computers have limitations - it believes that drop down menus are pop ups. Beautiful view of the ocean from 15th floor. We hardly took in the view because we used the chairs from the balcony to use as our luggage racks and there isn't enough space for your legs - JUST enough space for the chair itself. There's a mini-fridge in the room for your use - no charge. The lady who took your name and signature for eating breakfast was awesome! Very friendly.

Bad Stuff... The pictures shown on their website is the FUTURE of this hotel. The current state does not live up to the pictures shown in their website. I wish they told me this when I was making my reservations because I had asked for a "renovated room" and the person who took my reservations assured me that 15th floor is a renovated floor. Perhaps it was renovated from whatever previous state that this hotel was in. I was not specific enough. All the fixtures, the hotel, restaurant - EVERYTHING (except for the lobby and the Penthouse) would be considered a 2-star hotel. The shower had a mildewy smell. The window unit air conditioning could only be pointed towards the floor or directly onto the bed. The bed cover had cigarette holes. The room had extremely hard bed that is sunken in one corner. The hotel does not have luggage racks. We had to bring in the chairs on our balcony to use as luggage racks. The direct link short cut buttons on the phone didn't work. You must dial the extension. The free breakfast that the hotel provided was not good - the hot food was not good (bacon, eggs - blach!, fried rice, and white rice). If you eat cereal and fresh fruit, you'll be fine. The free computers in the business center believed that drop down menus were pop ups, so I couldn't check in or buy tickets, etc. There were couple days in my 7-night stay when housekeeping didn't clean our room despite being out of the room by an appropriate hour.

Summary - I'm giving this a poor rating because the advertisement shown on their website do not match the reality. I felt duped by the sale. Had my expectations been set properly, I would've rated this more favorably.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
banderson2070, reservation/sales Assoc. at Waikiki Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay with us was not all that it should have been.
I would like to apologies on behalf of the hotel and its team for you misfortunes during your stay. First, I am very pleased to hear that the service was up to your expectations. Regarding some of the negative occurrences you had with the hotel and its amenities I am deeply sorry and will take into consideration all that you have pointed out. Dealing with the internet I’m sorry you had an issue, and if you needed anything printed out we certainly could have done that for you at the front desk.
You may also be interested to learn that for the New Year we will be renovating the rest of the property and I can assure you the refurbishments will be up to par. I would take pleasure in welcoming you back after our refurbishments are completed.
Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that reminder of your stay in Hawaii was enjoyable.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Living Social and the Gateway Gave Me A DEAL. NOT!!!!!! What I THOUGHT Was A DEAL From The LIVING SOCIAL CO. and the Gateway Hotel, turned out to be not a deal, the room was about $3 or so more than the "DEAL" that I got. The hotel was old and very dirty,run down, say about the rating of a motel. The furnishing and room was old and dirty. The window conditioner had a planter dish under it to catch the dirty water, the balconly "oh if you can open the doors", crumbling, SHALL I GO ON?????? Got the heck out of the hotel after one night. Just plain disquested. The Hawaiian experience that I thought I was going to enjoy in PARADISE was totally DISAPPOINTING. Forget about these deals and just use HOTWIRE, I have never been burned using hotwire. NEVER again.

Dear Guest,

I would like to apologies on behalf of the hotel and its team for you misfortunes during your stay. Regarding the Living Social promo it is a five night stay for $399 that includes breakfast every day, internet cable in room, and free valet parking. Normally the price for a DLX room during high occupancy is over $114 a night, breakfast is $7.99 per day, internet is $10 per day, and parking is $18.99 per day. So without the Living Social promo a five night stay with all the other amenities would have been $754.90 if directly booked with the hotel. Also we offer specials online, for example our Five-O deal where depending on when you stay you can get a DLX room and room only for around $90 per night. So either way you look at it the Living Social promo is the best deal.

Also it may be in your interest to know that for the New Year we are renovating our property and all the guest rooms will be upgraded. I would like to welcome you back for the New Year so that we may better service your needs.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

This hotel while clean in appearance embodied an "old" smell throughout and looked even older! The double sized beds sagged in the middle and the box springs were encased in plastic. Light fixtures and furniture were badly worn looking. Breakfast was included in the price and was quite modest. Cold cereal, scrambled eggs/bacon. Hawaii has the best pineapple and papaya yet sliced oranges and red grape clusters were offered or an apple. We checked out after one night, thankfully finding another hotel.

Room Tip: we went on "hotwire" and found a very nice hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
banderson2070, sales/reservations at Waikiki Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking time out of your day to provide feedback regarding our hotel. We are sincerely sorry that your stay was not all that it could have been.
I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team members for your past stay with us. Our standard procedure in this event would be to offer you an upgrade room on any future stays you have with us free of charge, and as well a room with queen or king bed. Also, regarding the breakfast I am deeply sorry it was not up to par for you and in the future our front desk staff can offer many suggestions to nearby places to eat.
You may also be interested to learn that for the new year of 2012 we are renovating our hotel, which will improve all the amenities in the guest rooms.
Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope the remainder of your trip here in Waikiki was most enjoyable.
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011 via mobile

The hotel is an older hotel. The furnishings are older, but very clean. Staff was very nice, there was mineral deposit on shower head, but a little vinegar and baking soda would take care of that... Didn't effect water pressure. I'll be back!

• Stayed October 2011
banderson2070, reservation/sales at Waikiki Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking time out of your day and providing your feedback. We are very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
You may also be interested to learn that during the New Year for 2012 will be upgrading all of our guest rooms in the hotel. This remodel will take care of any shower head problems most certainly. In the mean time thank you for the feedback and we will review and improve our current shower heads to make sure they are all up to par.
Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed at Waikiki Gateway in October. It was a very enjoyable stay. The hotel was very accomodating. It is a great location Waikiki....just a few minutes from the beach and easily accessible by car or city bus. Doreen the breakfast lady was wonderful. We looked forward to our morning meal as Doreen was always so friendly and entertaining. She had a lot of information to share about Honolulu and the attractions. The valet guys were also very friendly and assertive. The price was just right for this hotel.

Room Tip: We had the partial oceanview room. You really can't see much of the ocean so if you wanted to sa...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
banderson2070, reservation/sales Assoc. at Waikiki Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to provide feedback regarding our hotel. We are very glad to hear that your stay with us was an enjoyable one.
I am pleased to hear that your contact with Doreen was memorable and I will be sure to thank her personally for this. Also pleased to hear that our valet performed with the highest standards to ensure you were provided adequate service.
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

My mom and I were hosted in this hotel, the bathroom had stains around the sink waste, never put us clean towels, never blankets were changed, the carpet had a lot of dust which was bad for my allergies, the reservation was for a "deluxe"Partial Ocean view room , but it was never saw the sea from the room, cooling need to be fix it, breakfast buffett very poor, every day was the same, the hotel's facilities are in very poor condition, the service is good, nothing great, they never changed the dirty coffe cups in the room, no iron or ironing board.

Mi mamá y yo estuvimos hospedadas en este hotel, el baño tenia manchas de desechos cerca del lavamanos, nunca nos ponian toallas limpias, nunca cambiaron cobijas nuevas, la alfombra tenia mucho polvo lo cual fue malo para mi alergía, la reservacion decia Partial Ocean view, pero no lo era, nunca vimo el mar desde la habitación, la refrigeración nunca sirvió bien, el desayuno buffette muy pobre, todos los días era lo mismo, las instalaciones del hotel estan en muy mal estado, el servicio es bueno, nada excelente, nunca cambiaron las tazas sucias de la habitación, no tienen plancha ni tabla para planchar.

Room Tip: it is better choose other hotel, pay a little bit more... My vacation were not I was expected... =(
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to provide feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay with us wasn’t up to standards.
I would like to send my dearest apologies on behalf of the hotel and its team for your stay. Let me insure you that this is not a usual occurrence and rooms are inspected for cleanliness daily. Recently we have ordered more bath towels and I am very sorry that getting clean towels was an issue for you. Also we will take into consideration of adjusting our breakfast menu and we do value your opinion. To make up for your not so pleasant stay in the future we would love to upgrade you to our Deluxe Ocean View room at no extra cost.
Reviewing your response I will personally go over our room policies with our staff to make sure that rooms are maintained to the highest level of cleanliness. Once again please do accept my apologies and we hope to see you in the future.

Been to Waikiki Gateway Hotel? Share your experiences!