“great hotel for the money we honeymooned here” 3 of 5 stars

Waikiki Gateway Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2070 Kalakaua Ave, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815   |
Ranked #70 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
marion ohio
“great hotel for the money we honeymooned here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

my wife and i went for our honeymoon to hawaii and we stayed at the waikiki gateway hotel. we had a small hiccup in the begining ( two single beds on our honeymoon ) but when we mentioned it to them they were more than happy to accomodate us and gave us a more accomadating room. the staff was excellent Tony , the security gaurd , being the coolest person on the whole island, very helpfull nice and pleasent and also very knowlageable about events and stuff to do on the island. The cleaning lady on our floor was more than nice to us and very happy and greeted us with a smile everytime we seen her, which was everyday except for her monday and tuesday off ...or was it sunday and monday off?? the valet attendants being very prompt and nice as well, the long haired kid being the best!! Overall our trip was excellent. Hawaii being very expensive spending about 100 to 150 aday for gas and parking and eating and taking in everything hawaii had to offer. Going to hawaii on our honeymoon we were out most of the day, as with everyone in hawaii should be, who goes to paradise and spends all day in a hotel anyway? any body with complaints should be out experienceing hawaii instead of being in the hotel all day. overall our experince was wonderfull and the gateway was perfect for us..near everything and nice staff (except older desk lady) two people in their 20's on a honeymoon in hawaii would do good at the waikiki gateway as we did

Room Tip: get a premium delux room on 10th floor not the single or double rooms...and get a balcony room and d...

697 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

I purchased a LivingSocial coupon for my husband's and my 5-night stay at Waikiki Gateway. We were pleased with our deal that included hot buffet breakfasts, free parking and free internet. The hotel staff was very friendly, efficient, and helpful. Our room was upgraded, paid $3 more per night, for a balcony with an ocean view. We would consider staying there again (without a coupon).

The beach was a 10-minute walk away and the swimming pool was very small which may be factors to consider for those who love to bask in the sun.

The hotel needs to be updated, but nevertheless, it was clean and we felt safe. A very good value.

Room Tip: Our corner room on the 16th floor was very sunny and hot during the afternoons, but the view was wo...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011 via mobile

The lobby looked good, turns out it is the only thing that was. The room looked like it might have been nice 30 years ago. The room they gave us for our honeymoon (yes, they knew) had two double beds. The lanai had 1 chair. The bath was short on towels. Then they had the power out on my wedding night.

• Stayed September 2011
banderson2070, Manager at Waikiki Gateway Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
I sincerely apologize about the power outage. It was a district wide outage conducted by our local electrical company, in order to upgrade the Waikiki grid. I hope you found that we were able to provide proper notice and adequate lighting options for all of our guests. We appreciate your honest review.
Alhambra, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Booked from ebates.com>priceline.com around 05/11 for 07/11 trip = $64/day, but found hotelscombined.com after.

Looking up the hotel's site and communicating with the hotel before arriving is a common sense thing. Arriving, I forgot to let them know to have my room with one full bed instead of 2 twin beds. It's okay. My boyfriend and I sleep like "I love Lucy" of 2 separate beds.

Vintage mini refrigerator, but no microwave = no prob.

Parking = More $. If you're successful to find free street parking (Ala Mona Blvd.'s One Way street) and after hour meter parking nearby, then you're extremely lucky. If not, there are evening till morning parking for around $8 weekdays. Weekend evening till morning for around I think around $12. Or try http://en.parkopedia.com. Good luck.

Internet = will cost to rent their CAT cord. Bring your own or use their free internet that is only till 10pm! At the end, they didn't charge us. Maybe because we brought our own. We asked them about the what ifs, and they said, "...we will know...". They may or may not know, but we were just being safe most of the days by using their internet room.

The mini safe will cost. If the site does not say, call them up. I don't know why some people complain about in a good value hotel when they should communicate with the staffs first. I bring my luggage with locks. I take pictures of my laptop's serial number, the laptop inside the luggage, and then locked luggage. If you're paranoid, maybe the staffs could work something out and let them know.

The location is pretty good. It's the end of the Waikiki strip which if you're able to walk around for a good amount of time, go for this hotel. Walking to and from MarukameUDON is worth it.

Laundry room is okay, but functional. Make sure you pack your detergent, dryer sheets, and lots of coins. I suuure did. :)

Brought disinfectant spray and wipes just in case as usual. = No prob.

We had a pretty darn good view from our room. Overall, our 7 days of stay was pleasant (i.e. not bad of a hotel and condition), except parking is a little pain if you have a steep budget when renting a car, flying in, renting a hotel, attraction costs, and food.

Room Tip: It was summer, DON'T wait later to book because I saw it for $62/day few days before. It will b...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

The best vacation and the worse hotel. While Gateway certainly earns stars for ugliness and poor service, it also earns stars for value. Without an internet special, we would never have considered visiting Heaven on Earth, or "hang loose" with an attitude. Honolulu was exquisite! We did a hike, and a beach, everyday, and dinner on Waikiki Beach every night. Beaches with white sand and the bluest of blue water, and hikes with views unequaled, add lovely, romantic restaurants on the beach with the famous tiki lights. I pleaded with hotel management for upgrate to a better room, to no avail, but, in the end, it did not really matter. It was the vacation of a lifetime. Just remember to bring your earplugs!

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

I booked a room at the Gateway through DiscountHotelsHawaii.com at a really reasonable rate, and was pleasantly surprised. The lobby looks to be the only area that's really been updated, but all in all, the room was nice, and even if the balcony was small, I loved that it was on the 15th floor and I could still see the ocean and check out the waves! For the price and location, it was all that I could have asked for, and the service was great as well...when I first checked in and tried to get in to my room, the keys weren't working, and the staff was very quick in resolving the issue. I truly appreciated it, and my next trip to Honolulu I plan to book my stay here. Mahalo and aloha!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Roseville, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Booked a 5-day trip through Living Social and checked out the hotel online before making final decision. Hotel property looked nice online and lobby didn't seem too bad upon arrival, but the rooms are very old and despite hotel boasting of a $3 mil. upgrade, the entire hotel is in need of a major overhaul with the exception of the lobby. Modernly decorated lobby and website photos give different impression of reality of state of entire hotel.
Room was dirty upon arrival. Though our room was ready "early" when we arrived, I would have rather the staff spent the extra time cleaning the room before letting us go up. Bedspread and sheets actually had blood spots (very unsanitary) on them and staff did not change them until we called. Bathrooms in major need of renovation and deep cleaning. Shower curtain looked like it was going to fall down any second and tile in shower was really disgusting-looking. A hotel can be rated less than 4 stars, but should at least maintain some level of cleanliness.
Pool is very small and had room for only six lounge chairs and a few regular chairs. Beach towels are just old bath towels which was disappointing and inconvenient at the beach. Park below hotel kind of rough at night--I actually saw a woman pull down her underpants and urinate from my lanai which was really gross.
We were identified as Living Social customers right from the start in our welcome letter and greeting, so I am not sure if we got the full benefit of the hotel immenties, but we were not impressed. Stayed in room 1202 Deluxe Ocean View. You definitely get what you pay for when you book the Waikiki Gateway Hotel. I will spend more money next time to get a little more luxury, cleanliness, and on-site amentities like restaurants and larger pools.
There were some positives: Deal with Free Daily breakfast and parking saves a lot of money but could have been improved with more variety (serve potatoes EVERY day and add some other fruit and juices), views were nice, business center with free wi-fi awesome, location and ABC Store on first floor VERY convenient.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Waikiki Gateway Hotel? Share your experiences!