“Everything I asked for” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pacific Beach Hotel

You added Pacific Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Pacific Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2490 Kalakakua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
FREE Upgrade to Oceanview
Ranked #39 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Newark, California
“Everything I asked for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2007

My wife and I stayed here from Aug 5-11 for our wedding anniversary. This was our second trip to Oahu in 2007. Last April, we stayed in the North Shore at the Turtle Bay Resort and across the way in Waikiki at the Marriott. (please see my reviews). From our Marriott we can see the Pacific Beach Hotel and low and behold our next trip we wind up staying there.

I contacted the hotel directly and also made a few request like, higher floors (as Waikiki can get noisey) and a corner room facing the beautifyl Diamond head. They gave me everything I wanted except they gave us two full beds instead of a king bed. But that was alright.

The rooms are dated a little but roomy. Much roomy than the Marriott that we stayed in in April. We had room 2666. We had a mini fridge in our room for drinks and fruit. We had one window facing Wakiki beach and our lanai (balcony) faced Diamond Head. It is best to face Diamond head or you'll be facing the city side and look at building all day and night. Front desk was nice and helpful as with the valet guys. There are nice shops in the hotel and the resturaunts are very good. Both restaurants have a view of the big aquarium inside the hotel. Speaking of the aquarium you can see the top of the aquarium form our lanai (balcony).

The beach is right across the street. There is valet parking and self parking. Of course most if not all Waikiki hotels charge for parking. Valet was $18 a day and self was $15. Valet was hassel free. The freeway was easy to get to from the hotel. Diamond head is about a 5 minute drive, Hanaouma Bay is about 15 minutes, Kailua/Lanikai beach is about 15-20 minutes, North Shore is about 35-55 minutes away.

As I said in my Marriot Reviews, I like to try different hotels like I do in the 9th Hawaiian island, Las Vegas. But I would stay here again.

• Liked — They took care of all of our request.
  • Disliked — Gave us two beds instead of one King, but the view from our room made up for it.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2007

The hotel's location is fabolous, you're right in the middle of all the action on Kalakaua Avenue. You can literally walk out of the hotel and across the street to beach completely unencumbered; (no shoes or towel, leave your room key at the front desk) just go out wearing your suit. Our room was ocean view and we had a great view right across the street from the beach. The room was clean and a decent size although the bathroom was a little small. The staff was friendly and helpful especially the chamber maids.

You have to go see the Oceanarium on second floor, its what they're famous for and it is truly wonderful. One downside is the teeny tiny pool. I personally didn't mind because I was there for the beaches, but be warned it's vey small. All in all I would definately recommend this hotel.

• Liked — The location and the view from our room
  • Disliked — Tiny pool
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

We stayed at the PBH for 6 nights from Sept 2 - 8 2007. We had booked a partial ocean view for $135 pn directly through their website and were upgraded to an ocean view - which basically means higher up - the view was still on the Diamond Head side but very nice. Keep in mind the room price doesn't include tax - about $16 per night. The location is excellent. Some of the other hotels look a street or two away on the maps but the ocean and atmosphere of Waikiki is what it’s all about so try and stay as close as possible. Waikiki is packed all day and night – great atmosphere and people watching so stay in the heart of it.

The rooms are standard - no frills, but more than adequate. They were cleaned quite thoroughly each day. We didn't use the safe - it’s an extra $3 per day.

We booked quite a few tours with Pleasant Activities in the foyer arcade. Choo basically does everything for you so it takes the stress out. I just had a list of which tours I wanted to do each day and she booked them all and gave us the confirmation slips. The buses pick you up right outside which is handy.

There is an ABC store in the foyer arcade (all the ABC's are the same price so no shopping around needed).

We had a $20 off voucher for Neptune’s restaurant which has a view of the oceanarium. I wouldn't go there without the $20 off. It wasn't extremely expensive but the meals were very small. I had two appetisers - both $5 each - one was literally 1 scallop and the other was literally 2 small prawns. Guess it depends on your budget and appetite.

We ate in the Oceanariam buffet twice. Its $35 a head but you will see vouchers for 25% off in "This week OAHU" if you dine early. There is quite a large selection and it’s nice to look at the fish as you eat their cousins. ;-) There were about 20 deserts – yummy and a chocolate fountain.

Aloha!

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

We just returned from a stay at the Pacific Beach hotel. The location was fantastic and our stay was very pleasant. It was wonderful to walk out of the lobby and see the ocean right there. We had a "partial" ocean view room and could see a large stretch of the ocean as well as a pretty good view of diamond head.

We booked directly through the hotel's website and were able to get the best rate that way. We ate at the Oceanarium Restaurant for dinner one evening and really enjoyed the food and the aquarium.

We had a slight issue with the shower control and they had someone up to fix it within 15 minutes!! We found the staff very helpful and pleasant.

This is a very nice hotel for people who are looking for a good value and great location. We would definitely go back.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed August 2007
LONDON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

Spent a week there in March. Get an Ocean view room facing West which gives you great views of the sunset. Price includes breakfast buffet which is a good start to the day.

Lifts are a bit slow and it is worth going up to go down rather than keep waiting. Pool is little small but the beach is a few yards across the road.

Hire a car and drive up the coast and you can find empty beaches.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2007

We changed to this hotel our Second day into a 10 night stay as our previous hotel was gross. We spoke to very friendly and helpful staff who let us see the rooms before we booked. They were large and spacious rooms. My daughter got ready for her wedding in our king room. The rooms were always cleaned thoroughly and was always nice to come back to after a long day shopping. The views were great. The restaurant in the hotel was a bit expensive but the food was always lovely for dinner or breakfast and in the middle was a large aquarium full of fish. The hotel was reasonable priced for both rooms we had booked to stay in. So we were very happy with our stay.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The pool and Spa
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

This was my second trip to Oahu and my first stay at PBH. It was better than I expected. Loved my oceanfront room. I didn't expect so much room and the room ammenities was more than I needed. I had a compact fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and small sink to wash my cups. Roomy bathroom, which shocked me. This room was better than the room at the Sheraton I stayed in last year in NYC. Sure the furniture needed updating, but most of the hotels in Waikiki need their furnitures to be updated. Loved the location. Walked out of the hotel on Kalakaua Ave. and there was the beach! I just enjoyed going for my early morning run along Waikiki and Kuhio beaches. With three restaurants in the hotel, a laundromat, ABC store, 24-hour Fitness, Haagan Daz (sp?), and a business center on the premises, who can ask for anything more? I will definitely stay here again!

• Liked — Sitting out on my lanai and watching the sunset and listening to the waves at night.
  • Disliked — Limited cable channels, but then again, I hardly watch any t.v.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Pacific Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!