“Old, falling apart and very expensive! Not worth it!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Pacific Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Pacific Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Pacific Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2490 Kalakakua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
FREE Upgrade to Oceanview
Ranked #44 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Canada
“Old, falling apart and very expensive! Not worth it!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We spent 2 nights at the Pacific Beach Hotel on our way to Kauai. We were put in a standard room (2 twin beds) which had not seen a coat of paint or anything since about 1960. The room was disgusting and i you check their website they usuall charge over $200 a night for one of these rooms. The ceiling had large mold stains all over it, the bathtub was disgustingly stained and there was black mold in the tiles around the bathtub. The curtains were stained and the furniture looked like if you touched it, it would crumble. I called and spoke to someone at the front desk about changing to a room with a Queen or King and they were very helpful but we were charged $40 to "upgrade". The second night they moved us to another room with a King bed. The room was better, basically it was not as decrepit as the first one.

I an just shocked that these places can get away with charging the prices that they charge and expecting patrons to be satisfied with what they get. I filled out a survey sent to me by the hotel and was very honest. I received an email back from the Guest Experience Co-ordinator explaining that they are in the process of a major renovation and said I should come back and revisit after completion but there was no mention of a free voucher or discounted stay. I guess they don't need my business that badly.

There are so many other lovely boutique hotels in Waikiki that are a lot less money and fantastic. Spend your money at those instead.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Zena K, Social Media Ambassador at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Aloha Peta B,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We apologize that your room and decor were not to your satisfaction and we appreciate your honest feedback. Our housekeeping and maintenance departments work very hard to keep everything in working order and comfortable for our guests. We are pleased to hear that our front desk staff were very helpful and was able to move you to another room. Our hotel is in the early stages of major exterior and interior renovations to help enhance the look and feel of our property. We have shared your comments with our entire operations team to help enhance our services and products for future guests. Our guests and their experiences are very important to us and we will continue to improve. We appreciate your honest feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Mahalo nui loa,

1,493 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We've just returned from our third stay at this hotel in 10 or so years - including once on our honeymoon. We wouldn't stay anywhere else in Waikiki. The best thing would have to be the location - directly opposite the beach and walking distance to all that Waikiki has to offer. The rooms aren't new, so if you're looking for ultra-modern and flashy you won't find it here. But to me the decor is part of the charm of this place, and even if it is a little old, it's still very clean. The house-keeping staff do a great job. The rooms and beds are large and comfortable, the bathroom is a little cramped, but the showers have good water pressure. And anyway, with that beach on your doorstep it's more pleasant to take a swim in the sea in the morning and rinse off with the showers at the beach than mess around in any hotel bathroom. There's a table and chairs both inside and out, and it's really nice to sit out on the balcony and just take in the view. We were on the 11th floor of the Oceanarium Tower and had a good view of the sea and mountains from our partial oceanview room. The Beach Tower gives you more of a view of the ocean as well as Waikiki, but we've been happy with views from rooms in both towers. There's plenty of convenience stores nearby including an ABC store onsite, and there's a Dollar rental car desk too which makes reserving a car easy. The staff are cheerful and efficient, I saw some long lines at reception during peak arrival times, but it was the middle of summer as well as a national holiday in Japan with many guests from there checking in, so I imagine the same must happen at a lot of Honolulu hotels during that time of year. Arriving quite late at night our check in was quick and easy. Really, if you want to be in the centre of Waikiki and as close as you can to the beach without paying exhorbitant rates of higher end hotels you can't go wrong with Pacific Beach Hotel - and it's a perfect base for visiting those other properties for meals/drinks etc as well. I've seen a few reviews on this site complaining that rooms need updating etc, but I think these people are missing the point - this is the hotel to stay in when you want to spend your days on the beach and evenings enjoying that amazing sunset from the privacy of your own balcony.
PS If you surf and don't have a board with you, head for Moku surfshop just a short block away - they do a good deal on rentals on decent boards and are a friendly bunch of guys too.

Room Tip: Partial oceanview rooms still give a good, if not full view of the ocean.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jocelyn N, Guest Experience Coordinator at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Aloha Porkpiegaram!

Thank you for choosing our hotel again after all these years.
We were very blessed to have been able to serve you!
Your wonderful review on our hotel propels us to continue doing the best we can in providing the ultimate vacation and experience for our guests.

Thank you for your positive feedback.
Should you return to our hotel anytime soon, please don't hesitate to contact me via email at jnemoto@pacificbeachhotel.com & we will be more than glad to serve you!

Mahalo A Hui Hou,

New Braunfels, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights for the first time. The hotel is nice from the outside and very convenient to Waikiki, the views of the ocean from our 10th floor room were fantastic. The beds were comfortable, but it ended there.

It's in need of updating, the bathrooms need it the most, the grout is dirty and is coming loose in areas. The mirror is black in places where the silver has come off. The hot/cold water was reversed. The frig barely cooled. The patio door did not lock. The tub did not drain well (we did call maintenance for this one and they promptly fixed it).

The pool/spa area was drab! It was a rooftop area, no plants of decor in site, very few chairs. We went ONCE, that was enough!

We did not eat in the restaurants, they were like most hotel eating places, very expensive! The one exception was we got pastries from the Aloha Cafe, they were good.

The bell service (especially Mark) was excellent!!! The front desk handled calls for extra coffee, etc, promptly.

I have no complaints about the staff....just the rooms are in need of a facelift !!!

They had a very nice gift shop, Castaway, which I visited several times.

Aloha BJL83,

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your most recent experience in our hotel.
We are happy to read your positive comment regarding our friendly and helpful staff.
I will be sure to relay your kind praises to Bellman Mark.

I am excited to let you know we are in the stages of freshening our hotel & we are focusing our efforts on the rooms and bathrooms.
We welcome you to our hotel after remodeling is completed for a second experience.

Thank you for choosing our hotel again & we look forward to serving you soon!

Mahalo A Hui Hou,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I don't often review hotels because I think every customer generally receives different service and you get what you pay for. I work for a hotel and my wife is a flight attendant so we are well versed in staying in hotels and what service should/can be offrered to hotel guests.

I booked this hotel on groupon with double beds (groupon guarantees the room type) because we brought our 13 year old son with us. When we checked in, the front desk clerk who was very nice, told us there were no double beds so she would send us a rollaway and we could check for double beds the next day. The rollaway bed arrived and it was as hard as a rock and broken. It wouldn't stay on the frame so the box spring and mattress kept falling off of the frame and making him have a horrible night sleep. When we checked the next day at the front desk this front desk attendant simply told us "no". No sorry for the inconvenience, no let me check, just simply no. We asked for a new rollaway and they told us they didn't have one at the moment. When the housekeeper came to clean the room she told us the bed was broken and she was going to have it replaced for us. Magically, one appeared. This mattress stayed on the frame but sank in the middle. I understand it being the busy season and having limited double rooms, but the room had to be booked for a double and was guaranteed. And the customer service to inform us our very grown size 13 year old (5'8" and 150 lbs) had to sleep on such a small bed was absolutely horrendous.

The room showed age but we expected that. It wasn't dirty but it wasn't clean. There was hair from previous guests in the shower, dresser drawers and sink area.

We ate at the breakfast buffet which was actually ok and similarly priced to other food venues on Waikiki. The dinner buffet was another story. I cannot believe I paid $200 for 3 people to eat barely edible food. Save your $200 and eat somewhere else. We also ate at the Aloha cafe for lunch one day and were served pretty good burgers that they made on the grill right outside the restaurant.

The pool was also small and aged. No pool bar which we found odd. It was also ALWAYS packed.

The staff at the front drive, conceriege, cafe and housekeeping were all very nice and helpful.

The location of the hotel is great. It's right across from the beach and the heart of Waikiki but unfortunately the poor customer service regarding our room type was enough to turn us off from this hotel. Again, you get what you pay for. This hotel is in desperate need of some new front desk staff training and an update.

• Stayed August 2013
Aloha Sjbieber,

Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback on our hotel.
Your comments are very valuable & I have forwarded your review to the management team.

Please accept my apologies regarding the aftermath with the room type change.
It concerns me to hear about your son's unpleasant stay.
We truly apologize for the discomfort it was caused you and your family.
Although we do have a great location, we still have to provide the highest level of guest service that meets our guest expectations.
Unfortunately we failed to provide you with this level of service & I would like for you to contact me via email at jnemoto@pacificbeachhotel.com to ensure all your concerns are answered.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Hotel needs a serious makeover. The rooms are outdated and new completely refurbish. The location was good but that was it !!!! Don't book this if you have high standards !!! The rooms are small and the bathroom looked really outdated and old. The furniture was old and outdated.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Aloha Slybeth4,

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at our hotel.
We appreciate your honest feedback.
I am excited to inform you we are in the process of refurbishing our hotel.
We welcome you back to our hotel once this is renovation is completed.

Thank you for staying at Pacific Beach Hotel & we hope we will be able to serve you soon.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

After reading reviews on this hotel, we decided to book our stay there over serveral others in the area. We arrived at 1:30pm for a 3:00pm check-in and decided to request an early check in. My wife, 20 month old baby and I waited nearly 20 minutes at tge check in line before finally reaching our turn. We asked if an early check in is possible, now that it is nearly 2pm. The lady checked our booking and in a disappointed voice said "oh.. you booked via Expedia..". She went on to tell us that she could check us in at 2:45pm at the earliest... 15 minutes earlier?

We didn't argue and decided to wait an hour and line up again to check in. At 2:40pm, we got back in line and this time we waited 28 minutes before we reached front desk. We presented our booking confirmation only to be told that our booked room was CANCELED! Not only did the previous check in agent turn us away, she also canceled our booking "accidentally". After joggling around for a while and getting some managers involved, we were finally given a room, now nearly 4pm with a tired crying baby. We were put in a room next to the elevator shaft where you could hear the elevator moving up and down all night. No other rooms being available, we stayed there the night and checked out early next day with very little sleep.

Although the location of the hotel was excellent, we felt that customer service, room comfort and value for money was NOT there at all. Our online booking of $178 came to $226 at check out due to obviously taxes but also some hidden resort package fee??? For leaving two beach towels in our room that were not even touched.

we will not return to this hotel again, highly recommend you look at other hotels at this price point and perhapsfeel a bit more appreciated as a paying customer.

• Stayed August 2013
Jocelyn N, Guest Experience Coordinator at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Aloha EddyGordo47,

I would like to extend my deepest apologies regarding your overall experience at our hotel.
Please know that your feedback is very valuable and we are concerned about what you have encountered.

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel despite of reviews you have read. We believe in Pacific Beach Hotel and we are confident in providing you the highest level of guest service. Please pardon us for having you experience otherwise on your first visit to Hawaii.

I would like for you to contact me via email at jnemoto@pacificbeachhotel.com to discuss your stay with me further. My goal is to ensure all your concerns are addressed properly. Thank you for taking the time to share this and I look forward to hearing from you.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

First impression when I entered the room was the beds only got sheets on it. Needs a colour put on over-sheet on bed, bed was only a basic one, could hear every toilet being flushed all night, hear the lift going up and down. The air conditioner blew on you while sleeping, had to put something to make air go straight up. Hear people in next unit clear as. The room was clean and staff friendly. But sorry wont be back. This was the end of our six week holiday and will rate this one lower than the rest we stayed in.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Jocelyn N, Guest Experience Coordinator at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Aloha Julie,

Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your stay.
Please accept my apology that your stay did not meet expectations.
I especially want to apologize for the uneasiness you experienced throughout the night.
It is very important for us to know when our guest are not happy because we feel confident that we can serve you properly the way it should have been the first time around.

Please don't hesitate to contact me directly via email jnemoto@pacificbeachhotel.com to discuss your stay with me directly.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Guest Experience Coordinator

Been to Pacific Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!