“Affordable holiday in Waikiki” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pacific Beach Hotel

Save Saved
You added Pacific Beach Hotel to your Saves list
Pacific Beach Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2490 Kalakakua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
FREE Upgrade to Oceanview
Ranked #56 of 83 hotels in Honolulu
Tilbury, United Kingdom
“Affordable holiday in Waikiki”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Good value for money.
This hotel is situated 2 minutes walk from the popular Waikiki Beach
Good locations with good public services around the area

After reading mixed reviews, I was pleased with my choice
Staff friendly & rooms clean.
Tea & coffee supplied daily however we did not have a kitchenette/ fridge which some did.

Four lifts all working but did sometimes take forever to reach the top floors with the number of people using them.

Would recommend this hotel to anyone with a lower budget

Room Tip: Rooms higher have a partial view of the sea Ask about kitchenette facilities
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jocelyn N, Guest Experience Coordinator at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Aloha Smurf-ed,

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at our hotel.
We are pleased to see your stay was a pleasant one. I appreciate you choosing our hotel despite of reading mixed reviews. We take pride everyday in serving our guests with the utmost highest quality customer service. Thank you again and we look forward to serving you during your next visit to Hawaii.

1,314 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Location speaks for itself! Across from the beach, within few minute walk to Honolulu Zoo, Kapiolani Park, Kaimana Beach (if you want to mingle with locals and enjoy wider beach). I even walked to Diamond Head (40 - 50 min walk) and hiked up another 20 min to the top! (Warning: I live in SF, so I'm used to the hills and walking. There is "The Bus" going to the foot of DH if you want to avoid the first 40 min of walking! The hotel isn't fancy, very basic (no fancy comforter, no European pillows, no mini bars) and clean. That's all I needed as I didn't plan to spend my time in my room. Given that I had a partial ocean view room on 37th floor, I could just sit in my balcony and admire the view. (Ahh, sipping my coffee and watching rolling waves...I even saw a rainbow over the horizon after a passing Mauka shower! What a life!) Friendly and accommodating staff with few exceptions, but that really didn't overcast my entire stay. I've been told that this hotel will be going through some renovation in the near future.

I'd definitely stay here and ask for the same or similar room on a higher floor! p.s. if you don't have a patient to wait for a slow elevator during rush hour (breakfast, check-in/out, dinner time), I'd ask for a lower floor.

Room Tip: Higher floor, partial ocean view room provides decent ocean view. If you don't have a patient t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Aloha Ayaboo,

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at our hotel.
We are pleased to see you enjoyed your stay. Our hotel is located conveniently for guests to walk to their leisure pleasures. The pictures you took from our hotel balcony looks beautiful! I can see you have a strong appreciate for nature. I hope you enjoyed your hike to Diamond Head as well. Thank you again and we look forward to serving you during your next visit.

Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

The hotel's location was awesome and even the view from the partial ocean view room was spectacular. The rooms were mediocre and the beds were not as comfortable. There is a resort fee of $20 which gives you two bottles of water and free Internet. The place is very busy and there was construction going on across the street which made it very very loud during the day. At night they have live music downstairs which is also very loud.
Overall, it was a good price for location.

• Stayed June 2013
Aloha Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at our hotel.
I apologize your stay did not meet to your expectations. Our hotel is expecting to go under a complete renovation including a change of our beds. We value your input and thank you for choosing us again. We look forward to serving you during your next time in Waikiki.

Roswell, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I did not know what to expect when I checked in to the Pacific Beach Hotel, but the prices offered were phenomenally affordable. Although some of the staff members were less than courteous and some were rude, overall, my encounters with the staff was warm and helpful.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Oceanarium tower, which was great, but be aware that there are a lot of floors. When...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Aloha S M,

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your experience at our hotel.
I appreciate your thoughtful comment and I value your feedback. We strive to give the utmost quality customer service to our guests. I hope in the near future we will be able to give you another memorable experience. Thank you and we look forward to serving you should your travels bring you back to Hawaii.

Mahalo,

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

A group of six friends spent six nights here in May 2013. The room had two double beds so was quite roomy enough for two or even three people. We like having the fridge, electric kettle and microwave as we tended to have breakfast while looking at the beautiful view from our room. Be sure to ask for OCEANFRONT room as others such as OCEANVIEW can be on the side of the building and may offer a glimpse of the ocean. On the front is fantastic. The rooms as basic but very well cleaned and have everything you need. The housekeeping staff were very friendly. The pool and massage area are pretty stark to look at but we had very good massages in the beauty salon. Would recommend this and would stay again., Very convenient location.

Room Tip: The most important thing is if you want a view, ask for oceanfront. Bear in mind it can be a bit no...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Jocelyn N, Guest Experience Coordinator at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Aloha Korgi8,

Thank you for taking time to let us know about your experience during your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear you and your friends enjoyed your week at our hotel. I am thrilled to read you stayed in one of our oceanfront rooms. Waking up to the open ocean view is indeed breathtaking. I appreciate your compliments on our housekeepers and our spa, Please be assured that your kind feedback will be shared with our staff. Thank you again and we look forward to serving you should you return back to Hawaii.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

When we arrived, we had a friendly porter, and thought that we were stepping into a wonderful, relaxing beach holiday. However, this was not to be. We found the reception desk and asked to check in. The staff at the reception were unfriendly and told us we had to wait roughly an hour for our room to be ready after we had requested an early check-in. However, we were also told that we had to pay an unexpected 'resort fee' - an extra $20 that we had not expected to pay. This fee was applicable even if none if the services (safe, wifi, 2 water bottles etc.) wqere used.The wait was 2 1/2 hours, which we spent going to the pool (I've definately seen bigger pools). When we COULD check in, our luggage (which we had left with the bell) took a long time to find and retrieve. Apparently, a 'label' had fallen off, making it hard to find them. We found the beds very uncomfortable and hard. The view from our room was nice - partial ocean view. In the morning, we had requested a late check out and found that when returning to our room on the 17th floor, our key card would not open the door. We has to take the key card all the way back to the reception to renew it.

Over all, this was an unnenjoyable experience that we expected much better of.

Room Tip: Request room with balcony and ocean room. Higher floors - better views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Aloha Emily A,

Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. I would like to begin by expressing my sincerest apologies for not providing you with a wonderful memorable vacation. Your vacation should be stress free and fun, but your check-in process and wait left you with an unhappy vacation experience. The amenity fee also included the use of our tennis courts, golf cages, and discounted rates for our spa and pass to the fitness club. Please contact me should your travels take you back to Waikiki again, I would love another opportunity to provide you with the highest level of customer service that you deserve.

Mahalo,

Hewitt
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Be prepared to bring a wheel barrel full of money and just dump it in front of the hotel and walk away. I've been to this island 3 times, the last time in 1985, only on main island to see Pearl Harbor tour and fly to Maui tomorrow. Glad it's only 2 days and sorry I even bothered with this hotel. Very old, musty, employees are friendly but everything is $$$$$$$. We needed to call the front desk 10 minutes after we checked in, no answer, yet the girl at the desk was expecting our call. Find someplace better to stay, this is not the place. For prices, they better renovate soon and don't expect to get any sleep on the shotty mattresses they call a bed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Zena K, Social Media Ambassador at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Aloha PinkCat14,

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. We sincerely apologize for your room and overall experience while staying with us. We are planning a complete property renovation for our rooms and public areas. This will definitely improve our look and feel of the hotel. Thank you for your kind comment about our friendly staff-we really have a great team here! We value and have shared all your comments with our operations team to help us improve and provide a better experience for all of our guests. Thank you once again for your feedback.

Mahalo nui loa,

Been to Pacific Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!