“The only hotel for us in Waikiki” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Waikiki

You added Sheraton Waikiki to your Saves list
Sheraton Waikiki
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2255 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free/Breakfast
Ranked #41 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
New York, USA
“The only hotel for us in Waikiki”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

This past summer our family of four came back from our annual two-week stay in Hawaii. I work in Honolulu one week a year, and we've stayed in a different hotel each year for fun--until now. This year we stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki and our roaming days are over.

As silly as this sounds, the thing our family most enjoyed about this Honolulu beach-front hotel was the Resort pool. Our daughters especially--could not get enough of this huge, multi-level pool. But how do you please both a 3- and 1-year old as well as mom and dad? Offer a little of everything. The pool has three big areas, and two hot tubs. Our eldest loved the giant water slide and pool with waterfall, our youngest loved the small water slide and super-shallow play area, and mom and dad loved it all--particularly the hot tubs. At first it stunned me to see a lower kid-friendly average for this hotel, because this pool is so great. But then I realized that the averages take into account all reviews, and the Resort pool opened in 2009.

Beyond the pool there's a variety of restaurants including Rum Fire (which has both indoor and pool-side seating), Twist (incredible view from the top floor), Peets, and Ingredients (where we ate breakfast).

I'm looking forward to next year to try Kai Market. This restaurant and another pool was under construction while we were there and we just missed their completion by a month or so. Kai Market has a "living wall" of fresh herbs that the chef pulls from as he prepares your meal, and the pool was planned as an adult-only option for those who don't want the noise or clamor of children.

Our room was absolutely stunning. We managed to get into one of the newly renovated rooms and, it was so nice, we were content to stay in when one of the family wanted a little less sun. It had TWO balconies with great views, flat-panel televisions, a refrigerator, lots of space, and more. We really loved it.

I heartily recommend this hotel to anyone considering a beach-front stay in Waikiki. Thank you Sheraton for making our stay wonderful.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
m79kaplan, Manager at Sheraton Waikiki, responded to this review, May 5, 2010
Aloha,

The associates and management of the Sheraton Waikiki wanted to convey mahalo to you and your family for joining us on your last visit. I personally truly enjoyed reading your comments. It sounded like everyone had a magnificent time, especially your kids. I am almost jealous they got to spend so much time splashing around in our magnificent pools. On your next visit, you will be amazed at how beautiful the last of the construction areas turned out. Kai Market is a leading restaurant in terms of sustainability, yet its food is on par with all of the top restaurants in Waikiki.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Mahalo Nui Loa

The associates and management of the Sheraton Waikiki

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (808)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

I'm not going to slam the hotel. Everything there was great. Great pool, great location, etc. However, I will never go back to Waikiki. I knew what to expect and it was even worse. Its like Tokyo and Palm Springs had a child on the beach...I wasn't bothered by the 80% Asian clientele...it just didn't feel anything like Hawaii. The north shore was great, The east shore was beautiful...the west shore was a ghetto....and the north shore was really cool. We woke up everyday and left. Good Boogie boarding on Makaha beach...very empty. Great snorkeling on west shore (get there early). But that was my last trip ever to Waikiki. I live near the beach and this was not much different. So its hard for me to recommend the place when where it sits is not ideal. So as a hotel, very high marks....just pick the place up and put it someplace else. I stayed here on points so the only thing it cost me was $25/day for parking (big island Hilton was only $15)...and a shout out to the boys in the ukulele shop who set me up with a great Fender. I'm loving that. One more thing...we saw a band called Makana. Oh my, this is an amazing band...find out where they are playing and see him...you will never forget it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
m79kaplan, Manager at Sheraton Waikiki, responded to this review, May 7, 2010
Aloha,

We at the Sheraton Waikiki were appreciative of the kind comments you had left on tripadvisor.com about your most recent stay with us. We are very proud of the most recent renovations, and we truly want to continue to deliver on giving our guests the "breath of Aloha".

I, personally, was a bit sad to hear of your overall Waikiki experience. It does have a lot to offer, but it truly comes down to what type of vacation experience you are looking for.

We do hope you will consider another trip to Oahu and make the Sheraton Waikiki your destination of choice. If Oahu is not for you, also note that we have a marvelous collection of hotels and resorts located across all of the islands.

Mahalo nui loa from the associates and management of the Sheraton Waikiki
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

My wife and I both this hotel 10 stars! The building is clean, open, modern, and peaceful. The hotal staff was professional and accomidated to our every request. Our room was fantastic - clean, spacious, air conditioned, well lit, etc. The hotel ammenities are top notch. The restuarants on site are all great and the food is wonderful. The pool area is SUPER with plenty of benches/chairs and great decor. You have servers that walk around and bring you drinks or food and offer advice on local hot spots and hotel travel accomidations. Every single hotel employee was on task and always there to help. This pool is a must see! The hotel is seated right on the edge of the Pacific and in the middle of all downtown shopping, restaurants, etc. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.

We will never stay at another hotel on Waikiki!

m79kaplan, Manager at Sheraton Waikiki, responded to this review, May 5, 2010
Aloha,

The associates and the management team of the Sheraton Waikiki wanted to take a moment to thank you. We are always happy to hear about our guests experiences while staying with us, and yours was a true example of the Aloha spirit we have running through our hotel.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit back to the Sheraton Waikiki
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

This was our second visit to the Sheraton Waikiki. Our first visit was on our honeymoon 35 years ago. A lot has changed since then espcecially the guest rooms. Our room was not what we expected. The rooms had no color and no chairs. We asked for another room but were told they were all decorated the same. Christine, who checked us in gave us dinner coupons for Kai because we complained. She even called the next day to see how we were doing. Other than the room, we loved the resort. The new infiniti pool was fabulous. And it is right next to the outside bar, The Edge. There was nothing better than to be in the infiniti pool with a tropical drink and watching the Hawaiian sunset. The beach is no longer there but you can go right next door. We enjoyed Rum Fire. Nice cocktails and nice music. We did have dinner in the Hano Hano room on the 30th floor. We had a very nice dinner with phenomenal views.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
m79kaplan, Manager at Sheraton Waikiki, responded to this review, May 3, 2010
Aloha,

We wanted to take a moment to offer a heartfelt mahalo for leaving such useful feedback in regards to your recent stay. A lot has changed over the course of the last 35 years and im glad that most of those changes met or exceeded your expectations.

I was dissapointed to see that you were not as high on our current room modifications, but I see that Christine did a fabulous job in ensuring that we try and make it up to you in other ways.

Which of the restaurants that you dined at was your personal favorite?

If you wish to discuss your review any further, or should have additional feedback, we would love to hear from you. Feel free to email me at Michael.Kaplan@Sheraton.com.

Mahalo from the associates and management of the Sheraton Waikiki, and please dont wait so long before you next visit!

Mahalo
Indianapolis, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

I ended up with the property via a priceline booking recently.

Check In - Extremely pleasant and given an upgrade to a partial ocean view room on the 20th floor. I didnt bother giving my gold number as I didnt see much point at the time since no stay credit due to priceline booking.

Room - It was nice. I mean, I stayed at the Hyatt recently on a similar priceline booking and the room is much better but the standard room is modern enough and comfortable. The shower pressure was horrible though. I mean, nothing to get too excited about but it was a nice enough room.

Pool - I like the pool layout of two seperate pools for kids vs no kids and the infinity pool was very nice. Typical low lifes leaving towels on chairs and disapearing but the hotel tried to monitor it the best they could. The seemed to put little stickers on the back of chairs to later see who was not using them. I never saw anyones stuff get removed though so who knows how effective it was. One day there was some construction noise and the pool crew did the best to make people comfortable by providing snacks, free mp3 players and ear plugs. Nice touch I thought.

F&B - I thought Kai was just too overpriced. Wasnt going to touch the place so I had breakfast at my usual haunt, Hula's. We had drinks one evening at RumFire and it hopping in the place. They have an early and late happy hour but do not remember the hours. I did not eat there but the menu looked appetizing and reasonable price wise. http://www.rumfirewaikiki.com/ Had a couple of drinks at Twist at Hanohano room and the service and selection was greate. Nice place to have a quiet drink with a nice view but not cheap like RumFire. There is also a Baskin Robins ice cream shop, Peets coffee shop and a noodle shop. There are obviously plenty of places nearby to wine and dine but nice options if you do not want to go out.

Location - Very nice location. Steps away from the beach and within easy walking distance to nice shopping and dining.

Check-out - This was interesting. I ask about paying for a late check out with my SPG points as I assumed any vacation destination would never give it for free. I was told late check out was only done by status...seems weird that they would not want my money/points but ok. I give her my gold card to put on my reservation and then called down in the morning and requested gold late check out. Was given it but had to change rooms. No problem at all for us. So worked out great for me as I didnt have to pay anything.

All in all I thought it was great value but then again I did not pay the normal rate. Although I was quite happy with my stay I would not pay in the $200 range for this place unless I was SPG Platinum and got a suite upgrade of course.

Points posting for the F&B did not happen accurately. As is typical with SPG propeties. I got points for the $15 of food but not the for $75 of beverage during the same visit and same check...so typical.

Overall, like the place and would return.

m79kaplan, Manager at Sheraton Waikiki, responded to this review, May 3, 2010
Aloha,

We at the Sheraton Waikiki would like to take a minute to thank you for your valuable feedback you left in regards to your stay. We feel the only way to continue to excel at our strengths and at the same time, take positive action to correct guest concerns, is by continual communication from our valued guests.

I was greatly happy to learn of your pleasant experience at some of our F&B venues, but a bit dissapointed you didnt try Kai Market. It is an amazing new restaurant with amazing views, local Hawaiian artists performing nightly, and a true "farm to plate" dining experience which provides our guests with not only breathtaking dishes to sample, but also gives back to our local sustainability. Did you know that over 60% of our ingrediants are local Hawaiian grown/made?

I would love to speak further in detail regarding some of your other comments such as the shower pressure situation, please feel free to reach out to me at Michael.Kaplan@sheraton.com.

Once again, a warm and heartfelt mahalo nui loa from the associates and management of the Sheraton Waikiki.
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

So great, it was the best hotel i have ever stayed in. Great food, great drinks, great service, great location.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
m79kaplan, Manager at Sheraton Waikiki, responded to this review, April 29, 2010
Aloha,

We at the Sheraton Waikiki wanted to take a minute to thank you for glowing review of your stay with us. As a team, we take a lot of pride in learning about our guests experiences at our hotel, and we are continually looking for ways to make your next stay with us even more memorable.

We look forward to your next visit at the Sheraton Waikiki.

Mahalo,

honolulu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

Our experience from the moment we made our reservations until checkout was such a wonderful and memorable one! The staff is friendly and welcoming and they epitomize the true meaning of the Aloha spirit. The hotel offers something for all ages, from the night life to the spa and water activities. The pool is beautiful with water features for all age groups which made our 3 and 13 year old grandsons very happy. The Kai Market restaurant offers a beautiful, mouth watering buffet for dinner and breakfast with tantalizing selections to satisfy any palate. I highly recommend a stay at the Sheraton Waikiki!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Aloha,

I wanted to take a minute to thank you for your stay at the Sheraton Waikiki. We are all proud to read about our guests experiences while staying with us, and we look forward to your next visit.

Mahalo nui loan

The associates and management of the Sheraton Waikiki

Been to Sheraton Waikiki? Share your experiences!