“Expected more” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Waikiki

You added Sheraton Waikiki to your Saves list
Sheraton Waikiki
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2255 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free/Breakfast
Ranked #41 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Camas, Washington
“Expected more”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Perfect location on waikiki beach, easy walk to everything. Nice resort, infinity pool, plenty of beach chairs and plenty of sun. We used self park for our rental car, nice garage with plenty of space. Rooms are spacious, clean, and housekeeping great. Check-in was slow, as rooms weren't ready we dropped our luggage and later came back to the express desk for keys. We were told no double bed rooms were available, only king rooms so they reluctantly added rollaway beds with no extra charge. The arrangement worked out ok, but made the rooms feel smaller. And the lady at the express desk had no smile or apology for the inconvenience, quite disappointing for a sheraton. Check-out was a breeze. Overall a nice stay but the price point does not prove it a great value.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
SheratonWaikiki, Sheraton Waikiki Guest Experience Team at Sheraton Waikiki, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Aloha and mahalo for your recent review of our resort. We are very happy you enjoyed your overall stay and apologize for the inconvenience during check in. We have shared your feedback with the front desk team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. A hui hou.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kingsport, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki for our first trip to Hawaii and it was great! The location was ideal--we walked everywhere in downtown Waikiki. The infinity pool was great, only problem was the nice seats filled up very quickly and you had to pay to reserve the covered bungalows at the pool. We did rent some beach chairs and an umbrella from the neighboring Starwood property on Waikiki Beach. We got a package that included the daily breakfast buffet and it was great as well. The hotel has many nice shops in the lobby, including a jewelry store, convenience store and a bakery. When we return to Hawaii, we will definitely look into staying here again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonWaikiki, Sheraton Waikiki Guest Experience Team at Sheraton Waikiki, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Aloha and mahalo for sharing your recent experience with us. We are thrilled you chose to stay with us on your first visit to Hawaii and look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Thank you for your wonderful comments and a hui hou.
Main Beach, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Spent 7 nights at the Sheraton Waikiki in October, most of them enjoyable. I will adress the one night that was a negative later.
I always consult TripAdvisor before I travel and did so on this occasion. As I do, I will address some of the issues in reviews that could have scared me off. I choose this Hotel mainly because it has a CLUB facility. My wife and I enjoy the services provided by these facilities and that was the case here at the Sheraton.
Getting there from the airport was easy as we had a transfer arranged which picked us up and dropped us at the door.
Busy Foyer: This would, I expect, be expected for a Hotel this size. The Foyer was busy, but you would expect that of any foyer that has a number of shops in it, has access to at least two eating areas and leads to two pool areas as well as people being dropped off and picked up. It got busier when groups of Japanese tourists were being processed but this wasn’t all of the time. There were many wedding parties moving through the foyer and in the limited time we spent in the foyer area each day, we saw at least 3 a day. These parties soon moved on and it was great to see the happy Brides.
Check In always busy and long waits: We arrived early on a Sunday morning, about 0915, and there were only 3 people in the line. We were surprised that there were 5 checkin points operating and we only waited 5 minutes and were checked in. The girl arranged to have our luggage stored, told us our room should be ready by 1300 and gave us a pager so we knew when our room would be ready and arranged for us to enter the Club Lounge in time for breakfast. In general, when we were walking through the foyer at various times during the week, there were only ever about 10 people in line at the check in desks. We got a page at 1200 that our room was ready.
Lifts being slow: I think I counted 11 lifts. We didn’t wait any longer than about 15 seconds for a lift. Push the button and there would be one opening. We didn’t have to push or shove for a place. I don’t know where people who complain that these lists are slow live or work, but they must have super fast lifts as these are as good as or better than some of the other 5 star hotels I have stayed at in Hong Kong, Japan or Singapore.
Leahi Club Lounge is on the 30th floor. It has tables and chairs in a centre area and lounges along each side. The views of the city on one side and Diamond Head and the beach on the other would be the best you could get. We could not fault it. From the time we arrived we were treated very well by the courteous and friendly staff who always had a happy word and able to give hints and advice on where to go and what to see. We were given access whilst waiting for our room and when a male staff member saw our pager and knew we were waiting for a room, he made sure we were briefed on what was available after the staff left at 1000, after breakfast, and even put out a number of energy bars for us. During our time at the Club, we never had to wait for a table.The breakfast at the Club, 0600 – 1000, was the typical continental breakfast style and there was always porridge and either scrambled eggs or french toast. Afternoon food and drinks happened between 1600– 2000. There was always an extensive cheese platter, bread rolls, salad items and at least 2 hot dishes. On various nights there were chicken wings, stir fried vegetables, seafood piala, fish, mashed potato and other dishes. As I have commented before about Club Lounges, there was ample here for a meal if you didn’t want to spend on eating out. Drinks consisted of house white and red wine, beer on tap and soft drinks. If you wanted better wine, there were 90+ point wines available for purchase.
Pools: The adult and children pools are very good. We had a room on the 10th floor overlooking the Infinity Pool and most mornings there were sun beds available even at 0930. After that it got busy with all sun beds claimed but the pool was never that full to make it unpleasant and crowded. We are not into baking in the sun without shade so we went to the beach and hired beach chairs and an umbrella and enjoyed the beach atmosphere. The price of this comfort on the beach was not excessive.
We did enjoy sitting down at the infinity pool after dinner and enjoying the ocean in the moon light. Very relaxing and cool.
Bar: Ate and drank at the RumFire, drinks were a good price and food was a limited example of fast food but adeqaute for a bar.
Noise: Our room on the 10th floor overlooked the pool area and RumFire Bar and on some nights you could hear the noise but it didn’t go too late and didn’t worry us.
Room: Our room was very good, clean and well serviced every day. I looked for negatives but overall it was in good shape and of a suitable standard. I wasn’t able to figure out why there is such a large gap under the doors, but we only heard noise coming from the corridor on one occasion.
Our one Negative Night: One night management decided to rent out the whole infinity pool area for what appeared to be a car industry night. Only warning was a sign down in the pool area saying that the area would be closed for the night and they hoped their guests understood.
Well, I didn’t understand. I paid good money for all the facilities at the Hotel on all the days and nights I was there. If management is going to make money on restricting my access to areas that I have already paid for, then they need to do better than what they did and advise on their website that restrictions will apply in accessing facilities during certain periods. The night of this function was the only night that noise interrupted me in my room and restricted my enjoyment of being able to relax by the pool after dinner.
I liked this Hotel and would consider staying again (need to go back as I didn’t get to see Pearl Harbour which was the purpose of my trip as it was closed because of the shutdown of Government) but only after I was given a guarantee that my access to facilities wouldn’t be restricted by management hiring out areas of the Hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha and mahalo for your thoughtful and thorough review of our resort. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and truly appreciate your detailed feedback. We apologize for the inconvenience the private event caused you during your stay. We have shared your feedback with the management team and they are looking for a better way to inform our guests on the rare occasions when a private events are held on our pool decks. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back when on your next Hawaiian holiday. A hui hou.
Beijing, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We spent 2 days here in Nov.2013. This hotel has a great location right on the beach but there was so many people that keeping you always in a rush and noisy.
The beach and pools are fascinating and the sunset view attract me most. My room no. is 1124#, I believe higher floor gives great sunset view and occean view.
lots of people always....It kept us waiting for over 30 minutes to have a table in the breakfast buffet. highly suggest you better arrange your wake up time to catch the breakfast and don't ruin your schedule....
You could find the nice view from my pics...

Room Tip: The beach and pools are fascinating and the sunset view attract me most. My room no. is 1124#, I bel...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha and thank you for sharing your wonderful pictures. We are very happy you enjoyed our pool and the view from your room. Mahalo and a hui hou.
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I recently was in Honolulu for a convention and shared a room with two friends, The Hotel was picked for us last year, and we were given a Convention "discount". I have attended conventions with this group for over 25 years in many cities and hotels all over the States and Canada, this was this first time I was so disappointed in our accommodations.
The Public spaces in the Hotel were lovely , the infinity pool , spectacular . The employees were also fantastic.and friendly and helpful. but the moment I opened the door to our room........ letdown.
We had a ocean view with a balcony, that was nice, but the furniture was old,faded, grimy and peeling. the birds left many "presents" and after 3 days I had to ask the staff to clean up.
The bathroom has a folding shutter so you can see the view while brushing your teeth ,I suppose. But when you are sharing a room with someone other than your new bride or groom, it definitely leaves nothing to your imagination when you are outside.
The grout in the bathroom , both on the floor and the wall was moldy and stained, the paint peeling on the vanity.There was good shower pressure tho.
My bed had such a angel to it I was afraid I would roll out of it every night in my sleep, it was like sleeping on the side of a hill. The rug was not the cleanest. I wished I had brought slippers.
My roommates were upset that there were NO drawers to put away their clothes. There was just shelves in the closet. That didn't upset me as much as them. The phone between the beds didn't work . had to use one on the far side of the room,behind a bed. There was a fridge. but you had to fiddle with the controls to get it to work.
I did love the location , it is close to shopping and transportation, but I don't think I would stay here again when I return with my Husband .

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Aloha and mahalo for sharing your recent experience with us. We truly appreciate your feedback and have shared your comments with our management team. We are currently planning updates to our guest rooms and your input is important to us in the process. Thank you and a hui hou.
New England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

I choose to stay at the Sheraton Waikiki because many years ago I had the opportunity to stay there, and remember it as a magical, high class hotel. This stay was anything but.

The hotel itself is kind of hard to find - it is hidden behind the Royal Hawaiian Marketplace, and you have to drive through the crossing to get to the hotel. Parking is in the garage to the right - it is very confusing to find, but go through the underpass to the LEFT of the columns and the entrance is on your left. Parking spaces are small, and you may have to drive around a bit as many non-hotel guests also use this garage.

I reserved a Diamond Head view room ads the hotel website shows these as facing Waikiki and overlooking the beach. My room however was on the south side overlooking the ocean - you could see Diamond Head to the very far left poking around the hotel, but you could not see the beach. The room is sparse - there were two beds, the table between them doubled as the desk and all they provided for sitting was a foot stool with a cushion. There is no dresser in the room, just one more small side table and a shallow counter mounted on the wall. It was relatively clean, but all that was on the beds was a thin quilt and one sheet - this is definitely not the Sweet Sleeper found in most Sheratons. The mirror in the bathroom doubles as shutters into the bedroom, making the mirror hard to use - you may want to bring a personal shaving or makeup mirror with you.

The hotel itself is huge, many shops within, and even more in the mall outside. Lots of people, too. There are 12 elevators (!) so you don't wait for long going up, but expect a lot of people on them. The main pool is nicely landscaped, there is also a smaller pool overlooking the ocean. Note that this is not on Waikiki main beach - for that you have to walk over to the Royal Hawaiian (short walk though). But, the waterfront area right out side the hotel has a lot of see grass where the sea turtles love hanging out.

Also, don't expect to be lulled to sleep by breaking waves - the bar on the bottom floor pups loud music out if you leave the sliding doors open, but closed they provide decent sound insulation. Room to room noise wasn't too bad, hallway noise was a lot worse. Service was tolerable - nobody was particularly rude, but you could tell they deal with lots of guests every day and you are just another passing customer. Long lines to check in.

There are several ABC stores (like a Walgreens) withing a 100 yards of teh front entry, so no trouble finding stuff you forgot. Surprisingly the convenience store inside the hotel was not bad price wise, but they had huge lines.

If this was a Four Points I would have been happy with what I got, but at over $400 a night for what is supposed to be a luxury hotel, this really missed the mark. There turned out to be no benefit to staying in a "beach front" hotel like this, as you really didn't overlook the beach and you didn't have good access to anything. It is nothing like it used to be many years ago.

Room Tip: My Diamond Head view was anything but. If you are looking to take pictures of the beach, I would sug...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
SheratonWaikiki, Sheraton Waikiki Guest Experience Team at Sheraton Waikiki, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Aloha and mahalo for your recent review. We are very sorry to learn of your disappointing experience. We truly appreciate your feedback and have shared it with our management team. A hui hou.
Olathe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

We spent 6 days here in Oct 2013. They upgraded us from an oceanview room to oceanview/ diamond head view for no additional chg. The lines at checking were long but moved fairly quickly. Housekeeping was very timely. This wonderful hotel right on Waikiki beach truly added to the magic of our dream vacay.

• Stayed October 2013
SheratonWaikiki, Sheraton Waikiki Guest Experience Team at Sheraton Waikiki, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Aloha and mahalo for your wonderful comments. We are thrilled you enjoyed your dream vacay and look forward to welcoming you back in the future. A hui hou.

Been to Sheraton Waikiki? Share your experiences!