“All are not treated equally....” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Waikiki

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Waikiki to your Saves list
Sheraton Waikiki
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2255 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free/Breakfast
Ranked #39 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Minnea
“All are not treated equally....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Location is great - right on the ocean and right in the middle of Honolulu. But... if you don't get a pool chair by 6 AM, you are SOL. People throw towels on the chairs, and then leave, and the pool staff don't do anything about it... You can rent chairs that are right in the shallow part of the pool for $25 a piece (which I very foolishly did) but the hotel doesn't enforce those chairs as being rentals only. So, I paid my $50 (I got 2 chairs) for the day, and more than a dozen other people used the chairs all day for free. TOTAL RIPOFF! I asked for my money back, explaining that other people got for free the same service I got stuck paying for, and I was told no!

On top of that, I had a fairly expensive summer dress I had bought for the trip. Unfortunately, it didn't make it back into my suitcase for the trip home. I noticed it as soon as we got back home, and contacted the hotel about it - this was less than 48 hours after we had checked out... And guess what? the dress is gone. It was there.. now it's not... It didn't have it's own legs, which mean someone that wasn't part of my family decided to take it...

I'm a gold member with SPG, and this really left a bad taste in my mouth to be treated like that... This is not a hotel I will ever stay at again, nor could I provide a recommendation for them.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (682)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Eagle River, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed 3 nights on the 27th floor. Room accommodations were very nice and well maintained. The first floor had dozens of shopping stores for tourists. Two pools were located on the ocean side of the hotel. No complaints whatsoever.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Arcata, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

For starters, Honolulu and particularly the Waikiki area are not your typical relaxing Hawaian destinations. Vacationers looking to unwind will be better off elsewhere. That said, if hustle, bustle, nightlife, shopping and dining are what you want, you can do far worse than the Sheraton.

Location - This 30 story monster of a hotel sits right on the Northern edge of Waikiki beach and right in the middle of one of the most amazing high end shopping districts you will find anywhere in the world. From Hermes to Ross Dress for Less, it is all within a short walk from the hotel. This great location also brings (literally) rivers of people through the passages and lobby of the Sheraton which can be a bit overwhelming. The other downside of the location is the traffic. We landed around noon and it still took over an hour to travel the 8 miles from the airport to the hotel. Any thoughts of leaving to explore other parts of the island disappeared after that.

Facilities - In addition to easy access to Waikiki Beach, guests of the Sheraton enjoy access to two pools: one for kids and one for adults. The adult pool is a beautiful infinity pool while the kids pool is large with a waterslide. Both pools are easily the nicest on the island. The tall tower also means spectacular views. Platinum and higer guests have access to the club on the 29th floor with complementary pupus, wine, beer and spectacular panoramic vistas that stretch from Diamond Head to Pearl Harbor. Rainbows glistened in the sunset over Waikiki and the famous mountian every time a small shower would pass by. Amazing.

Rooms - The room we had was nothing to shout about. I didn't book a room with a view though you could see the ocean from the balcony. It was large (good for my family) but the decor felt like an afterthought. It was as if they had just stuck a mish-mash of left over peices in the room. Had I paid top dollar I would have been disapointed. The only other issue we had was that the room A/C cycled fequently and loudly making it hard to sleep.

Service - The staff was polite and helpfull, what you would expect from Sheraton. Suprisingly, the housekeeping staff engaged us in the halls to make sure we had everything we needed and had even left suprises for the kids when we returned from swimming.

Those looking for what Waikiki has to offer will find the Sheraton Waikiki a reasonable choice among what appears to be a pethora of upscale options. I would definitely check out the neighboring properties if this is where you want to be but if you want a highrise hotel with spectacular views and two great pools put this hotel on your short list.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki for one full week in early April. The location of the hotel is great right in the heart of Waikiki. You are literally 2 minutes from tons of restaurants and stores. The lobby is vast and gorgeous. The hotel is a bit old but most sections have been renovated. The hospitality room is in the old section and I would not stay there. You have to pay "Resort Charges" of $30 per day. It gives you free internet, free parking and free long distance and one drink per person per stay. The hotel is literally on the Waikiki Beach. it is very nice but you will have to pay $45 per day to rent two chairs and an umbrella. They have two pools including one for adults only. Nice pools but it is near to impossible to get a chair. You have to be there by 6:30 am to book a chair. Very crowded.

Overall we enjoyed it a lot especially because of the location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Rooms outdated and very crowded pool area. The staff is excellent though. The location is perfect. Right in the center of all the action of Waikiki. There is little or no beach for this hotel. I am not certain if the beach of the hotel next to this one is available to use.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is my second time staying at the Sheraton Waikiki. I was initially recommended by a friend to stay and I have not looked back!
The first time in 2011 I travelled with my family in July, we had problems with the airline misplacing my luggage, not finding me for a few days, and the hotel staff were very helpful in giving me toiletries without me asking them and other necessities while I waited for my luggage. They even had it sent over to the next island where we went for the remainder of our holiday.
I signed up for the SPG programme after leaving and this time last week, the staff immediately recognised my SPG status and upgraded me to a beautiful ocean view room and had extra offers given for the bar, the guest lounge and the pool/gym.
Not only was the hotel perfectly appointed but it is hard to beat the location since it is close to the main shopping/dining strip. I cannot ask for more in a hotel to start off my Hawaiian experience

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Orange County, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel but catered to shopping rather than a Hawaiian experience. The hotel is much too large causing an overwelmed feeling and too crowded. Rooms are a bit dated and small and can hear the neighbirs. Swimming pool is very nice, especially the infinity pool.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Sheraton Waikiki? Share your experiences!