“Favorite Honolulu hotel despite some drawbacks” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Waikiki

You added Sheraton Waikiki to your Saves list
Sheraton Waikiki
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2255 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free/Breakfast
Ranked #41 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
San Francisco, California
“Favorite Honolulu hotel despite some drawbacks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We always stay at the Sheraton Waikiki. The combined view of Diamond Head and the ocean makes those rooms worth the rather steep price. My favorites are the upper floors that also include looking down on the Royal Hawaiian. The high prices can be modified significantly by becoming a member of their Starwood Resort plan, especially at the higher levels like Gold or Platinum. The new infinity pool is fabulous--just lie on a flotation device and put your feet up on the pool edge and gaze out at Diamond Head and the sea. The new 30th floor lounge has an amazing view but isn't worth the extra money because the food and drink selections are lackluster. There are other minor disappointments, such as the lack of dressers in the new rooms (just shelves in the closet) and the confusion over exactly what benefits Starwood members are entitled to. The service at the Edge Bar was fairly slow and not too friendly, but their fish tacos made up for that. The service by the other pool, on the other hand, was very prompt and friendly. There are now more and better-priced stores in the beautiful open-air lobby.

Room Tip: Above the 15th floor on the side overlooking the Royal Hawaiian, with Diamond Head and the beach as...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (732)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bethlehem, PA, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My best friend and I were doing a "Girl's Trip" to Oahu and planned to spend half our time on Waikiki Beach and the other half at Disney's Aulani (That review will be coming soon!) I agonized over which hotel to pick in Waikiki. I had been there once before and stayed a few blocks off the beach, which isn't bad, but since it was my friend's first time I really wanted something special. My dream hotel was on the beach, had a room with a great view, a great pool, good location, that wouldn't completely break the bank - a tall task for Waikiki, let me tell you! Money was a big deciding factor for us. Hawaii in general is expensive and we really did not have the means to be spending upwards of $300 a night so the big name fancy resorts were out. In my research I found a number of reasonably priced options on the beach but each were littered with terrible vacation-ruining horror stories on their reviews, something I did NOT want to risk. Then, I came across the Sheraton Waikiki. It seemed to have all my hotel requirements, although it was at the very top of our price range. I ended up finding an upgrade on their "Specials" page and got a Deluxe Ocean Front room for a great price. Boy, was I glad I picked this place. It met and exceeded every one of my requirements and MORE! The 2 pools are amazing. Don't get me wrong, Waikiki Beach is fantastic, but I think I actually enjoyed the Sheraton's pools more than the ocean. The adult only infinity pool is breathtakingly gorgeous and the large family pool has enough slides and water features to keep us 20-somethings entertained. The room was superb - very clean and modern - and the view? Stunning. The restaurant downstairs, Rum Fire, was a fantastic place to sit for drinks after dark and enjoy Waikiki Beach lit by Tiki torch. The location is perfect and centralized so you can easily walk to all of the stores, restaurants, and other hotels in the Waikiki Beach area. My one word of advice, you have to be very careful you don't miss the parking garage when coming in from the airport, it's hidden behind another hotel and I drove past it about 3 times before I got it right. After our few days, I didn't want to leave. Even at Aulani I found myself wishing I was back at the Sheraton Waikiki. If I ever go back to Waikiki, I will without a doubt go back to the Sheraton!

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for an upgrade to Deluxe Beach Front, It's worth it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Spend the extra and get the ocean front room. Not 5 star furnishing thats for sure but would not stay anywhere else. Negatives are the wrong neighbours on their balcony till 3am spoils your visit and reception dont care but if your lucky and get quiet people wonderful place.

Room Tip: more you spend better the view but all rooms same inside!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely room on the 18th floor. We arrived in Hawaii on a very early morning flight. We were delighted to be given access to our room at 10 30 am, though they had told us that they would have to see how things worked out that morning.
One of advantages of an attractive view from a balcony overlooking the sea is to sit out there at night. We found the loud music prevented us from enjoying the balcony from about 10 each night. The hotel is in a lovely position right beside the sea but it was a huge busy complex. One practice that I disliked was their two tier queuing system! If you're a member of the Starwood Preferred Guest group you can form your own queue and go ahead of all the others on the other side of the rope, regardless of how long those people have waited. Overall I thought that this was an over- priced hotel and lacked any of the qualities that would make me want to return. There were lots of closely packed sun loungers but very few had any shade.
If you'd like a nice meal there I'd recommend Il Lupino. It's not part of the Sheraton but it's just across from the entrance, where cars drive in. We discovered it on our 2nd last evening there. In the hotel you have a choice of 2 places which are very attractive but serve mostly bar food or a buffet at 55 dollars for 3 courses. Not great for such a huge hotel!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonWaikiki, Guest Experience Team at Sheraton Waikiki, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Aloha and mahalo for your recent review of our resort. We are very happy you enjoyed the view from your room. We appreciate your feedback and have shared your comments with the management team. Thank you,
Sheraton Waikiki Guest Experience Team
San Jose, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed for several nights- the hotel was at full occupancy, and it felt like a busy airport. A location and property like this turned into a mall? It's a little stressful as a guest when the place is commercialized to this extent. We awoke to the sounds of trucks backing up to the loading dock at the back of the hotel each morning at about 5 AM- backup warning alarms running at full volume. Fortunately most of the guests were extremely polite, quiet and respectful tourists from Japan, because this old building has really thin walls and floors. I take issue with hotels in this price range charging extra for front row seating at the pool and trying to sell me sunglasses. The staff are amazing people, real professionals in hospitality, doing their best with a relentless push to make more money.

Room Tip: Avoid the loading dock side.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha and mahalo for sharing your recent experience with us. We are very sorry you were woken up by the sounds of delivery trucks and have shared your comments with the management team. We will work on a solution. We appreciate your wonderful feedback regarding our staff. We hope you will consider staying with us again. Mahalo,
Sheraton Waikiki Guest Experience Team
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

This was my first trip to Hawaii, and I could not have asked for a better experience than the Sheraton Waikiki. Right on the beach, direct access to the nearest designer shops and of course the unbelievable Infinity Edge Pool with swim up bar! We rented a poolside Cabana on 2 seperate occasions for only $60, highly recommended if your looking to spend an entire day lazing by the pool, includes complimentary fruit and iced water, and very attentive wait staff who will keep bringing you all the maitais and pina coladas you want!

We had a room on the 22nd floor with club access, rooms were nice, clean and more than adequate for the minimal time spent in there, so don't go all out with your room choice, the king bed was very comfortable. Was very impressed with all staff, from reception to activities to pool and housekeeping. I also recommened a visit to the Spa Khakara on Level 4, perfect way to unwind after the flight and while we waited to check in!

The Sheraton started to feel like home after 9 nights, to the point we didnt want to leave. I have stayed at a lot of amazing hotels but the vibe here was something special, will definitely be back in the next year!

Room Tip: Choose a room with club access, but don't pay extra for a view, at the Club Lounge you'll ha...
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We had a stellar stay at the Sheraton Waikiki and it cements our desire to stay at this property whenever we want to return to Honolulu and Waikiki Beach. You can feel the pride of the Sheraton Waikiki team given the cleanliness of its common areas and rooms, the friendliness and courteousness of the staff.

We used SNAs for this trip; we were upgraded to a beautiful suite that was perfect for our family and made our trip unforgettable. The Leahi Club Lounge was one of the best club lounges I've been in, and by far the best one I've ever experienced in the US. The views were jaw-dropping. The food options that they had for breakfast and evening appetizers were surprisingly high-quality, rivaling and exceeding restaurant-level food.

The staff was consistently friendly and courteous, and made every effort to help us have the best experience possible, including bringing toys to our one-year old daughter, making great recommendations for hikes and sightseeing around the island, and being happy to strike up a conversation at any moment.

We had a terrific time and can't wait to return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Waikiki? Share your experiences!