“Great location, poorly maintained” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Waikiki

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Waikiki to your Saves list
Sheraton Waikiki
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2255 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #42 of 82 hotels in Honolulu
Washington, DC
“Great location, poorly maintained”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This was our second stay at the Sheraton Waikiki. My husband was returning again for a conference which takes place in the Sheraton conference center so it makes the most sense to stay here, not to mention the reduced conference rate!

When we were last here they were just completing their renovations of the pool areas. I don't remember the infinity adults-only pool, but it was fantastic. Such a great place to relax away from the busy kids pool with the water slides. That is about the only good thing about the Sheraton.

It appears they are trying to be a "party" hotel which reminds me alot more of Las Vegas than relaxing Waikiki. If you're looking for a party hotel, then this is the place for you. We have been to hawaii many times and prefer a relaxing Hawaiian experience/atmosphere. At the Sheraton once the sun begins to set the DJs come on and stay on through dinner until midnight+. It is clear that local Hawaiians come here to party on the weekends. I have no idea how the ocean facing rooms above the restaurants get any sleep. Even the adults only pool which I did enjoy during the day turned into a bit of a "scene" on weekends.

We ate at the Sheraton's restaurants many times during our stay for pure convenience sake. We were never impressed. In particular we were suprised at the slow service and lack of attention at the ocean facing bar while watching a football game. The bartenders seemed so overwhelmed trying to keep up with pool-side orders that they could barely take care of their customers sitting at the bar.

I might have been able to overlook the hotel's substandard atmosphere if our room was a place we could retreat to. However, despite being upgraded to a partial ocean view (our balcony was fantastic) the room was still dirty. I wrote about this same complaint in my review of the hotel a few years ago and they seem to have ignored it. They just do not put any emphasis on cleaning or they need to turn the rooms too quickly to put in the necessary attention. There were fingerprints from makup on the bathroom door and wall, which I forced myself to clean off because I couldn't stand looking at them. The bathtub looked like it could use a good scrubbing as well. Our bed was hard as rock and I woke up with a sore neck every morning for 10 days. The worst part was that my husband awoke at 4am on our final day and found 3 small cockroaches in the bathroom. Of course he panicked and went down to the front desk who quickly offered to move us. Since it was our last day, we just packed up immediately and stored our bags for the day. Hotel management told us they were unaware of any bug issues, however their quick response and lack of surprise said otherwise. It was definitely a sour end to an only so-so stay.

One positive note, I did book an amazing Lomi Lomi massage which took place in the Sheraton's sister property, the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. The massage took place in an outdoor cabana and was fantastic. I would definitely do that again next time!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

3,487 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Orinda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This property has been renovated and looks great. They have rocking-chairs next to a Koi pond which was a very relaxing place to sit, rock and enjoy the view of the Ocean and the very well kept garden between the Royal Hawaiian Hotel and the Sheraton Waikiki. It is a very quiet area away from the busy Waikiki area.The best check-in agent I have ever experienced - she was fantastic. I wasn't overly impressed with the over-priced buffet breakfast at Kai's. A block & half away is fantastic food on Kuhio St. at 1/4th the price for all food. Great to have my favorite coffee house on the property - Peet's. Rum Fire has a great view of the Ocean - but they have a very limited over-priced menu - mainly 'small-dishes'. The 2-pools were great with one being 'Adults-only'. The room was very clean and adequate with a fantastic un-obsgtructed view of the Ocean and Pool Area (if you are on the Ocean side of the Hotel). Since I had two very comfortable beds - there was no place to sit except on the bed. I did notice in other rooms that had a King-bed - - there was available seating with a table. Storage was very limited - but in Hawaii you don't need a lot of clothes !!! I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: For a better & quieter stay - - get a room on the Ocean side over the Pool area.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki for 6 nights in April. First impressions of the hotel were great, beautiful lobby with lots of shops and an intricate sand sculpture by the elevators. The pool area was nice as well though the adult only infinity pool was small and the deck was crammed with lounge chairs. The staff was great and everyone said Aloha when you walked by. We were asked at check in how many guests would be in the room and replied 2. However when we got to your room there were 4 beds in it! Two queens, one full, and one twin all in one room (assume we were assigned a family room for some reason). The sheets on all the beds were ripped and stained, as were the curtains and carpets. The bathroom appeared to have been updated but to a poor standard as there were still cracks in the tiles and missing grout everywhere. Everything was simply dirty. I was not expecting luxury but I was expecting clean bedding. Very disappointed.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
SheratonWaikiki, Guest Experience Team at Sheraton Waikiki, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Aloha and mahalo for your recent review of our resort. We are very sorry to learn of your experience. We welcome you to contact us directly at 377GuestExperienceTeam@Sheraton.com so we can get some more details from you regarding the room. From your description it sounds like the room you were in was one in the category we were updating in May-June however we would like to make sure everything has been resolved. Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to connecting with you soon.
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed here with our family for our wedding and vacation. There were plenty of things to do around the hotel, especially for the kids. Our 5yo daughter never ran out of activities, like crafts, pool games, the beach and the nearby zoo and aquarium. There are 2 pools, one is primarily for adult guests and the other for families, which makes it nice for a wide range of visitors.
Every staff member we interacted with was friendly and very helpful. In fact I found it refreshing that they were genuinely helpful verse the typical helpful in hopes of a tip, since several of them were either surprised or refused a tip.
The $25 resort charge had good value since it covered several things that would have easily resulted in a much larger daily bill.
Rooms were decent, clean and had plenty of room as well as a nice balcony (Lanai). Finding the in-room fridge was a bit odd, since it was hidden in the night stand. The beds were comfortable and you really couldn't hear too much noise.
Normally, I am put off by "included" breakfast at hotels, especially so-called buffets, and I even said to our group that I would more than likely only go to it once, but their buffet, Kai Market, is actually quite good and we ended up eating there almost every day. They cater to both American and Oriental in the variety of food options plus there are a lot of fresh fruits, healthier options and made to order eggs and omelets.
Room service and pool side service is something I normally avoid due to it usually being overly expensive, but the Sheraton is fairly reasonable, especially by the pool.
I am not a big fan of Mai Tai's, but the Rumfire bar and grill (near the pool) signature mai tai is pretty good.
Safety is decent, I was a bit worried about what to expect on the strip, near the hotel, because of stories I had heard. but I felt reasonably comfortable walking around the area.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay and we would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: "Partial ocean view" actually means you are looking at the Halekulani Resort and the Parc...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Tustin, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Aside from the rooms, I absolutely loved this property. It is very conveniently located, literally right behind the Royal Hawaiian Center, where you can grab coffee (Island Vintage Coffee is the BEST), food, & snacks. Our kids (12 & 9 yr olds) loved the swimming pool - there's a waterfall, waterslide, and a Baskin Robbins at the pool! They also have a nice adults-only infinity pool, dole-whip on site, and 2 Peet's Coffee stands. It's a beautiful property. However, the room is less than desirable, it is seriously one of the WORST hotel rooms I've stayed in. It's small, smells musky, there's no dressers to put away your clothes (weird), stains on the walls/floor, old bathroom fixtures... it is like a Motel 6 room. With that said, it was still worth putting up with the nasty room, for the location & the swimming pool/beach. One weird experience we had here - my husband went surfing early in the morning and tucked away his brand-new "Hawaiian Island Creation" flip flops behind a bush near the swimming pool and when he returned, it was gone! He reported it to the hotel, but they brushed him off, saying theft is common in that area. REALLY??

Room Tip: Don't come here for a good room!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
West Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My daughter and son-in-law were beginning their Honeymoon at this hotel and I wanted to do something special for them upon their arrival. With help and coordination between Room Service and the Restaurant Manager Mark. Mclver, I was able to surprise them nicely as they checked into the hotel. The service provided by Mark and Room Service personnel was exceptional and I appreciate it very much.

Room Tip: If you have a special request; ask and they will do what they can.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Spent 5 days here so have a pretty good sense of the hotel/area.

Location - I would call it in the heart of Waikiki, a stone's throw from the Royal Hawaiian Plaza and a hub for all Japanese tourists. If you want to be in Waikiki or this is your first time, perfect. Also right on the beach so quick access from hotel room to beach.

Restaurants - Rumfire is great for lunch. Same with the outdoor patio dining. The breakfast/dinner buffets are steep and I would personally avoid them. You can walk a block and get great food for much less. There is also a market downstairs where you can get fresh salads and light foods. There are free utensils and a microwave for you to use so make use of the minifridge in your room and eat some leftovers the next day.

Hotel room - I would call this a 3 star. The hotel is a bit dated and they tried to do the quick cosmetic makeovers. Removed a standard desk in the front of the room and replaced it with a float foot wide shelf. Creates the illusion of more space. The "desk" is basically now part of the nightstand. As a SPG Gold member, I had the strange fortune of being placed in a rear facing "mountain view" room. This is terrible. Avoid it. 6am in the morning you start hearing delivery trucks and all sorts of odd noises. You must face the ocean. PERIOD. Once nice touch is that all the sliding doors have a reflective coating so you don't need to close the curtains for privacy.

There is a "resort" fee which is 25/day and pretty much standard. You get parking, internet, and a free photo, and free participation in some activities like hula dancing and lei making. If you have a car this is worth it. Internet speeds / connections were strong in the room.

The beds and pillows were awful. Awful. Need to be replaced.

Maid service was a bit inconsistent. One day the ice bag wasn't replaced, One day there wasn't a floor towel. Room seemed a bit dusty in a couple of corners.

Bathroom - standard tub/shower with a extended shower curtain. Paint had seen better days.

Hotel events - a lot of small events for you such as mentioned above with lei making etc. Some require a small fee, some require a bigger fee. A couple events like bracelet making and turtle painting really should be free but are $12. a bit pricey for the kids.

Other - there are lots of shops in the ground floor, cookies, clothes, a convenience store, and the mall is across the front entry. Anything you need you can get easily.

30th floor Club Lounge - wonderful view, nice if you have access

Staff overall was fast and efficient. No issues at all with any small needs.

Room Tip: face the ocean
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Waikiki? Share your experiences!