“Very lovely hotel, a few reccomendations for improvement to be made but overall a great experience!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Waikiki

You added Sheraton Waikiki to your Saves list
Sheraton Waikiki
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2255 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #41 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon in Hawaii where we stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki for 6 nights and then took the Norweigen Pride of America Cruise around the islands for the next 7 days. Our overall experience was wonderful and we would definately go back!

The Sheraton is located right in downtown Honolulu in the district of Waikiki. This is a very busy tourist area full of lovely shops, restaurants and activities. We liked it since we are from Toronto, ON Canada so the size of the city was very similar. Since this was our honeymoon and we were looking for more of an adults only hotel we learned that this is very difficult to find in Hawaii. So we opted for the Sheraton since it had an adults only pool. This proved to be a perfect fit for us! The adults only pool is called the infinity pool which overlooks the ocean. Water bean bag chairs were provided for all guests *free of charge* to float around the pool. What made this even better was the turtles in the ocean that like to pop up in front of this pool area making for a nice show!

So for most of the day you could go without seeing families with children except when using the hot tubs. This would be one of my recommendations: The hotel has this lovely adults only area which is nice a quiet with plenty of lounge chairs which is next to the bar but in order to use the hot tub you have to go to the family area which is a zoo. There are so many kids running around that area going in and out of the hot tubs and down the waterslides it can be a bit chaotic. Therefore It would have been nice to have had an adults only hot tub as well. There is not a lot of shade at the hotel either. They do have some umbrellas but not enough so in order to get one you have to go down to the pool area early and pick a chair next to one otherwise you are out of luck. My second recommendation would to have more umbrellas, maybe one every 3rd chair so people have the option to put up the umbrella or not instead of people fighting over the few ones available.

The hotel has a lovely spa where my husband and I each received a massages side by side. The price wasn't too bad either. $135 each for 50 min. It's a little pricy but we are on vacation and at a big hotel so we splurged a little. The prices were comparable to other spas we looked at as well.

The restaurants at the hotel are wonderful. The breakfast buffet is the best! So much variety and the omlettes are really yummy. We got the hotel package with the breakfast included with it and it was well worth while to do that. The restaurant called ingredients was perfect for lunch. They make really fresh pizzas, sandwhiches and salads so we didn't have to leave the resort.

We did go out on the city for dinner each night just for some variety and the prices are not as expensive. We recommend Roys, and the italian restaurant accross the street from the hotel for dinner. Food is amazing!

Shopping wise, the ABC stores are great for souvenirs. The are everywhere on the strip. The stores in the hotel are nice as well but a little more pricy. A lot of the items in the stores repeat so make sure to shop around a little, some of the stores are willing to give deals. The International Market Place is a nice area to go shop.

The beach is lovely however, this hotel does not have a large beach area but you can walk down in front of the other hotels for a walk or to go in the water. There are lots of surfing lessons and activities going on which are worthwhile. Surfing is big in Hawaii! I learned, it's not as easy as it looks!

There are friendly staff at the hotel looking to make your stay very enjoyable. There are staff in the pool area who discuss tours. They are very knowledgable and can reccomend the tour that is right for your group. We wanted to go to a Luau and didn't know which one to choose. We were deciding between Paradise Cove and the Polynisian Cultural Centre. Since it was our honeymoon, the guide reccomended Paradise Cove since drinks are available and there are more couples versus families that go to this event. It was very enjoyable. I would recommend it to anyone! Lots of activities to do, cultural experiences and lovely dancing.

There is a resort fee of approx. $20 a day but it includes 60 free international minutes a day and unlimited access to the internet and other things so for us we didn't mind paying it since these are services we would want to use anyway.

Also in the pool area a company (I can't remember the name) came in to do water aerobics and fitness for 30 minutes each day. It's fun to do and you get a little bit of exercise.

The rooms are well maintained and look lovely. We didn't spend a lot of time in there though. Lots of other things to do. We had a city view that was upgraded to a mountain view since it was our honeymoon. We could still see the ocean though just off to the left with the gorgeous sunsets!! We didn't mind this view and it cheaper than a few ocean view. This worked for us. It just depends on what you want.

There are lots of activities going on as well. Lei making, hula daning and ukelele lessons to name a few. They are fun to participate in.

The service around the pool area is a little slow because there are only 2 people to service 200 hundred but they do a good job. If you really want your drink fast you can just go to the bar and get it yourself. Sometimes it is good to get up and walk around!

Overall a wonderful experience and we would definately go back. Just keep in mind that your vacation is what you make of it. It gets boring to sit around and do nothing all the time. Make sure you experience some of the things Hawaii has to offer and you will probably have a more enjoyable trip!

Room Tip: All the rooms except the city view have some view of the ocean. If you like relaxing on a balcony t...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (801)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Schaumburg, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

The reason why we chose this hotel was simple. We really had a wonderful family vacation experience at the Sheraton in Anaheim,California few years back. The ambiance at this location was business like and not family friendly. The moment we walked in to our room, the curtain rods were falling and bathroom lights weren't working.Staff was responsive and fixed the problem quickly.The hotel beach rental equipment ( i.e.: snorkel equipment, water bicycle etc.)was severely overpriced in comparison to other like beach facilities in Waikiki. This hotel had fantastic swimming pools.We truly enjoyed Hawaii, but will not stay at Sheraton when we go back in the future.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Hopewell
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

We just got back and overall the hotel is great. The pool does get overcrowded and if you want a lounge chair you better be down there by 8am.
We had a screaming family with an obviously not behaving toddler waking us up in the middle of the night and the hotel changed our rooms the next day, which was very nice.
I also recommend the pol aquatic exercise, the Massamino guys are great!

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

We have just stayed 5 nights at the Sheraton Waikiki at the end of a 3 week vacation to the Hawaiian Islands. I am SPG member so booked and prepaid for a deluxe ocean front room thru the hotel's website. We arrived around 3.00pm and were greeted with a lovely 'Aloha, welcome to the Sheraton Waikiki' by Michael who also assisted us with all our luggage. Mahalo Michael you did make us feel welcome!! Check in was quick and easy, (no queue at check in) and we were given room 2146 on the 21st floor. I was very happy with the room and the views of Diamond Head were simply awesome.
After reading some of the reviews on tripadvisor I was surprised by some of the comments noted about this hotel, yes this hotel is large so is extrememly busy, yes lots of Japanese tourists and families stay here, yest there is a $20 daily resort fee but to be honest none of these things bothered us. If you check out this hotel before you book it you will clearly see it is a very large hotel on busy Waikiki Beach and the daily resort fee is clearly noted on your reservation. The $20 daily resort fee provides free internet, self parking, bottled water and 60 minutes of free daily international phone calls (now coming from Australia I loved this).
We spent only one day down by the pool and it does appear you have to get down early to gain a chair by the infinity pool however at 10:30am we easily found 2 chairs by the Helumoa pool and enjoyed a couple of hours of swimming and relaxing.
We found all the staff we dealt with extremely helpful, thanks to Nancy on the Tour and Activities Desk who organised our Pearl Harbour tour (at late notice) and Jimmy from In-House Dining who after ordering room service one morning gladly set it all up on our lanai so we had our breakfast with an awesome view.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Sheraton Waikiki and will definately stay here again on one of our future trips to the Hawaiian Islands.

Mahalo Sheraton Waikiki!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Ok so about 4 months ago I put in a bid for a 4 star hotel in Waikiki through priceline. The Sheraton took my bid. About a week before we were due to arrive I called to confirm what kind of room we would be getting. They said it was a city view king which I was OK with as one doesn't expect ocean views when using Priceline. The room they gave us was on the fifth floor. No balcony and a small skinny window as it was level with the roof of the entrance lobby. Maybe a "roof" view but not a city view. I called the front desk and asked for another room but they told me they couldn't do it as the hotel was full. By this time my spouse is having a fit and wants me to get our money back and go find another hotel. I called the front desk again and this time spoke with one of the GSM's - Seth. He told me the same story that it was overbooked and we could not move tonight but he promised that he would leave a note for the day GSM to find us another room or at worst relocate us to another Sheraton Hotel.

OK so next day I waited for the call and it never came. Seth had told me that he came back on duty at 2:00pm so believe me at 2:05pm I am at the front desk to see Seth. Well to cut this short he got me anther room on the 9th floor with a city view which was fine. I just wish Sheraton had not stuck us in that first room to begin with.

As to the hotel itself it's fine but overcrowded. The pool areas are not adequate for the number of people, particularly as people from the Royal Hawaiian can use the pool. We soon learned that you had better get down there by 7:00am and put your stash on a seat if you want to have any chance of getting one.

The beach in front of the Royal Hawaiian is easily accessable from the hotel and we used it quite a bit. The location is perfect with lots of shopping, bars and restaurants around.

But that room on the fifth floor if still bugging us so I doubt we will be back.

Room Tip: Don't accept
seattle, wa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

We just finished a 5 night stay at the Sheraton Waikiki. I am a starwood gold member and generally stay at Starwood hotels. Although I have found Sheratons to be hit or miss, I thought a category 5 newly renovated hotel would be okay. The Sheraton is next to the Royal Hawaiian and a few doors down from the Westin. For this trip, I booked a premium oceanfront newly renovated club level room.

Starting with the positives, the common areas of the hotel are very nice. The kids enjoyed the pool (although it is crowded and dirty by the end of the day, also the pool was only open 8 am -6 pm daily). They have some fun activities--Koi feeding, lei making ($5), etc. The food we tried at Rumfire was good and reasonably priced. At lunch kids 12 and under eat free with a paying adult (part of the $20 resort fee [Kids can also eat free at Kai Market in the morning and at dinner. The dinner is a buffet ($55 per person). It looked ok but not exceptional so didn't try it]. The other huge positive was the view from our 22nd floor ocean front room--it was spectacular. We were directly above the infitnity pool in the middle and could see sea turtles surfact. That was very cool. The sunset was hard to see from our room and we got a partial view of diamond head. We really enjoyed looking out from our lanai. If you don't book this veiw, don't expect it though--the hotel said they run completely booked nearly all the time. They seem to book large groups of Japanese and vietnamese tourists in those rooms and club rooms. The staff were all very nice and friendly. However for service oriented items such as restaurant servers, cleaning staff, etc--they seemed to be understaffed (They had plenty of staff for the money making items).

On to the OK. The club level was okay, but not great. This is a huge room and is quite beautiful with stunning views. They serve breakfast in the morning from 6-10. Choices included pastries, yogurt, watermelon and pineapple, cold cuts and 2 hot items which alternated between eggs and sausage and pancakes and bacon. Drinks in the morning included coffee, tea, espresso, orange juice, and passion orange guava. Evening appetizers from 4-8 included sodas, juices, veggies, sometimes sushi, chicken wings or mac and cheese, mac and cheese, pork or potatoes (2 items), and generally some noodle salads. Because the majority of club level were the japanese clientel, they included several asian dishes. Beer, and wine were an additional charge. It wasn't a particularly impressive spread but wasn't terrible. We enjoyed sitting in the lounge and kids enjoyed their guava sprites, but I am not sure if I would pay for it again. Also, I did not mind the $20 resort fee. It came with internet, free self park, the kids eat free perk in certain restaurants. You often get nothing extra for other resort fees so I thought this was a fair way to do it.

The biggest negative for us was the room. I cannot believe they would call these rooms newly renovated, especially when they consider this a category 5 hotel. There were stains on the carpet, the tub was stained and looked like it was a 100 years old, the paneling was chipped, etc. This was definitely false adverstising. When we got there, I thought there must have been some mistake since I had booked a premium oceanfront newly renovated club level room. For one, it wasn't on club level (the club is on the 30th floor). Secondly, there was no way this was newly renovated. When I went and asked about it stating that we love the view, but there must be a mix up with the room, I was told that all the interiors are the same and that we had one of the nicer ones. I was also told that the 30th floor was a smoking floor and that the 22nd was also club level. They were fully booked could not move me. I am sure the poor girl had heard this before.

The room was the biggest issue. The other problem we encountered was trying to get our 4 PM checkout that you generally get as a gold or platinum member. When I asked for this, I was told that our room was booked by a travel agent and we would have to be out by 11. We were going to Hanauma Bay the next morning and needed a place to shower before returning. They said they could move us in the morning so we could do the 4 PM check out. Although incovenient, I thought this was fine, until we tried to get the other room the next morning and we were told they had nothing to move us to. It took several calls and finally they found us another room to move to, but we ended up much later at Hanauma than we anticipated (which is a problem because the parking lot was already full). They moved us to a room on the 7th floor which overlooked a roof and into buildings with a view of the ocean out the corner. I hope this wasn't considered an ocean view because if it was it would have been very disappointing. The interior of the room was the same as ours ont the 22nd floor.

Overall, I found the common areas nice but understaffed and crowded, the club level okay, the restaurants good, the oceanfront view spectacular, but the rooms a complete disappointment. Next time, I will book the Tower at the Royal Hawaiian. It seemed much less chaotic and the Royal Hawaiian shares the family pools with the Sheraton.

If you do end up at a Sheraton, try to get a room with the split metal rail lanai rather than the cement. It makes it nicer to sit down and enjoy the Pacific.

Room Tip: Ask for the metal rail balcony (split rails) rather than the cement
Lebanon, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

My grandma, sister, and I stayed at the Sheraton for a week while in town for a wedding. While we had a preferred rate due to the wedding, it sure exceeded our expectations. First, we were upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite, instead of just getting 2 queen sized beds. The room had a king-sized bed in it and there was a murphy's bed in the living room. The extra room was unexpected, and it did make a nice difference. The bathroom was HUGE, which was def. needed for 3 of us getting ready for a wedding! The infinity pool is TO DIE FOR. YES you have to get there early to reserve chairs, but that is expected in such a huge resort. The men working do come around and tag chairs that have been unoccupied for long periods of time, which is nice. Unless you expect to stroll down at 10 am and get a chair in the front of the pool....and you should not. We did sit by the kids' pool one day since we partook a few too many at RumFire (my grandma LOVED their Mai Tai's! She had one each day we were there!!) and that was irritating for people who didn't have kids, but that's what we get for not getting up early enough. It was a kids' pool so kids running around and screams were expected. The hotel also has many activities for kids and adults alike. We made leis, saw Hula lessons, Yoga, Aquatic exercises. Cabs frequently park in the drive, and are easy access.

Great trip and great service!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sheraton Waikiki? Share your experiences!