Let me start off by saying that there are a lot of hotels in Honolulu and Waikiki that are in desperate need of updating. But I remember staying here over ten years ago and not a single thing has changed, and I'm including all the way down to the comforter and carpets. The place smells horrific too, like your grandmas house but moldier. I highly doubt the air quality would pass that of smoggy LA. The fact that Sheraton and SPG puts this hotel in the same Category 5 pricing along with the Sheraton Waikiki (which is actually on the beach) and the Moana Surfrider, a Westin (just across the street, historic, and actually on the beach as well) is pathetic. Sheraton should be ashamed of itself, its audacity.
The staff is the one shining moment that has become a mainstay and salvation for all Sheraton and SPG hotels that I've stayed at in the last few years. The girl that we checked in with took her time to explain what was included in the resort fee (exactly same benefits as the sheraton waikiki) She made sure we had a nice room location since we were SPG gold members. The bartender at the pool bar was great about the free welcome drink. Overall I love the staff, they are great, and definitely earned another star for this hotel.
The Room: Pathetic. The carpet, the furniture, the bedding, the chair, the safe, EVERYTHING is original to when this hotel was built. And I had to look it up. Built in 1955. There is no way its been updated since then. For the money they want you to pay I simply can not believe it. The bed was very uncomfortable, way to squishy for me, soft is not even the right word, its uneven support left me with a terrible backache. The bathroom is teeny tiny and has the original small white tile with moldy grout. The highlight of the room by far is the large balcony with great views of the ocean and Waikiki Beach. But of course forget about seeing Diamond Head because the Hyatt built its tall towers right in the way. No one travels to Waikiki just to sit in the room but this doesn't really even live up to basic expectations at this price point. And remember, if you get a room that faces the pool, thus faces the main street in Waikiki, it is going to be loud all day and night, whether it be street noise, kids playing at the pool noise, or music coming from all over. Oh yeah, and because the hotel is so old, there is no wireless internet in the room. If you're important enough they do offer a verizon mifi hotspot they will let you borrow.
Overall this hotel is like most in Waikiki. That said, its old and needs to be updated. That said, for about the same price or exact same point redemption you can be across the street actually on the beach staying in an updated room since the Eisenhower administration. Don't waste your money, book early at a better spot. Sorry Sheraton, you know you need some help, so do it so you can justify the price. I stayed here probably ten years ago and payed around 100 bucks, that was fair, anymore then that is not worth it.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel Honolulu
- Sheraton Hotel Honolulu
- Sheraton Princess
- Sheraton Hotel Princess Kaiulani
- Princess Kaiulani Hotel
- Sheraton Honolulu
- Honolulu Sheraton
- Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hotel
- Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Hawaii/Honolulu
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxurious Sheraton Princess Kaiulani is near Waikiki Beach and downtown Honolulu. Our hotel has Creation, a dinner show; cultural activities; and 11,500 sq ft of event space for weddings or meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Amex, Priceline, Starwood, Tingo, Travelocity, BookIt.com, HotelTravel.com, Otel, EasyToBook, Hotels.com, Agoda, Venere and Fareportal so you can book your Sheraton Princess Kaiulani reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.