“What a fantastic place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa

You added Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2365 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free/Breakfast
Ranked #29 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Varese, Italy
“What a fantastic place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

I spent four fantastic days at the Westin Moana Surfrider.
From the moment you enter the hotel you have a pleasant, fantastic feeling - the entire staff is very kind and professional - it's a pleasant experience it's a mixture of Japanese, Hawaiian attitude very much customer oriented - I had a corner room an I had both city and ocean view - what a pleasure to stay in the evenings on the balcony with the cool breeze and the music from street musicians.
The rooms are very comfortable and the Westin beds are unique.
Everything is working quite well.
If you are planning to stay at the Moana Surfrider don't have any doubts just go and enjoy your stay - you'll love it.
Definitely will go back

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
MoanaManagementTeam, Manager at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 27, 2010
A “Fantastic Place to Stay” – we are thrilled to be called that! Mahalo for your enthusiastic review and we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your time at the Moana Surfrider. Vacationing in an exciting destination like Waikiki, it is always nice to come home to a serene, relaxing & tranquil place at the end of each day, and we certainly hope you found it here at the Moana Surfrider. Again, thank you for your lovely comment and we look forward to welcoming you back. Until then, Aloha.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (672)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

So on the (very) positive side, this is a beautiful hotel on the nicest part of Waikiki beach (feel the difference in the sand under your feet as you walk along to other parts). You can hear the waves at night from your room (if you get an ocean view), the courtyard with its huge banyan tree is unique and the whole thing feels homely unlike the huge hotels on the rest of the strip. What I would say is that you don't get a lot for your money apart from the room. There is no gym, the beach cafe is open to anyone, there are pitifully few loungers and these are charged extra and need to be reserved at the break of dawn to get one, and you have no chance of getting one around the tiny pool. So as a result you get your towel and go out to the public beach in front of the hotel with everyone else and slightly feel that there ought to be a bit more for guests. All that said we did have a great time and would go back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Big MAHALO for your fantastic review! It is certainly delightful to hear you enjoyed your time at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa. Located on the Tower Wing 2nd floor and open 24 hours a day, the Westin Workout fitness facility is available with state-of-the-art Life Fitness equipment and is offered complimentarily to all Moana guests. It is the perfect solution for guests committed to maintaining personal wellness and we hope you will have a chance to experience it during your next visit. And of course, sitting under the magnificent 125-year-old Banyan Tree while enjoying the Hawaiian music & Hula dance is the best way to relax & renew! Again, mahalo for staying at the Moana Surfrider & we look forward to welcoming you back to Waikiki. Until then, Aloha.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

First time in Hawii loved this hotel service excellant room comfort tops, it was in the Banyan wing. Drinks food a bit expensive but most everything in Hawii is expense. I was close to shopping resturants just walk out the front of the hotel and it was all there, it was like being in New York people were walking the streets late into the night. Would return to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010
Our Big MAHALO for your enthusiastic review! Hawaii has a number of first-class resorts and we are absolutely thrilled to be called the “Jewel”! And yes, our beachfront location in the heart of Waikiki is perfect for all your activities - whether going out to the beach during the day or going out for an evening of dining & shopping. Again, mahalo for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Moana. Until then, Aloha.
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

We arrived at the hotel in the evening, the place was stunning at the desk we were greated by pleasant staff and recieved our lei and drinks to renew us after our long journey. our room was upgraded and what an amazing view we had. a corner room so both windows looking out onto waikiki beach with diamond head in the background. the room was gorgeous so clean and bright, the heavenly beds were jus that, sooo comfortable. We stayed in the historic part which had been renewed and looked stunning. The banyan court was lovely and so relaxing of an evening with local singers and hula dancing each night. We had our first week wedding anniversary there as it was our honeymoon, we dined at the veranda and the food was amazing. we loved every second of our honeymoon and came back to the banyan court every evening. we toured the island which was beautiful, we also climbed diamond head which is a must do, the views jus speak for themselves.
The locals are so friendly and the layed back atmosphere jus sets the tranquil tone for a beautiful island full of fun and adventure. there was so much to do. knowing we were coming back each day to the moana was special, theres little to be said for new hotels so historic moana being the 1st lady of waikiki and being so stunning was amazing. we wouldnt have stayed anywhere else, once we saw this hotel we were taken a back to jus how beauiful it was. we can not wait to get back to oahu and will definately be staying at the moana surfrider :)

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
MAHALO for staying with us at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa to celebrate your first week wedding anniversary! We are truly delighted to hear you enjoyed your time at the Moana and thank you for your kind compliments. As you experienced, Banyan Courtyard is an amazing spot to relax at the end of each day – a gorgeous view of Waikiki beach & its amazing sunset, delicious pupu & drinks, live Hawaiian entertainment with a beautiful hula dancer…it is such a great spot to unwind & slow down a bit. Again, MAHALO for allowing us to be part of your celebrations and we look forward to welcoming you back to create many more beautiful memories at the First Lady of Waikiki. Until then, Aloha.
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

Not kids friendly at all! I am traveling with my husband and 2 kids (3+6 yrs old).
Go there if you are into Titanic feel. I should have trusted the trip advisor reviews. I think the good reviews are all from people who stayed in the newest wing (the most expensive room). Our room is the Historical part (the center building). This hotel has 3 parts-the original historical tower, the newest wing (most $$$. over $350+/nt), and the last one is the cheapest wing (motel 8 style, feel like an elderly rehab).

The ONLY good thing and the reason I picked this hotel is it's location. Right on the beach with shopping and center of Waikiki. But that's it! There is a lot more hotels to choose from on the same street at lower price. Pick those instead!

Rooms so small. Size like the economy cabin on the cruise ship. This is the smallest room I've ever been to in my own life!

Bathroom is also tiny. Will not fit more than 1 person. If you are over 200 lb., don't stay here. No bathtub. My kids are crying every time they took a shower! They are not used to shower head. I didn't expect such a 5-stars hotel don't have a Bathtub. OK. Historial.

Yes. Staff is rude. (per most of other review) True! Like a robot. Feels like in DMV. Will not let me change room to one with tub. Need to add $75+tax, but still need to wait. They said all fully booked.

Noisy. Yes, I know. It's historical. Only 6 floors. No sound proofing window. I can hear the wedding vows. Party till 11pm. Clean up till 1am. Then, you can hear the waves.

Kids Cannot use floating device in their small, dirty, hotel pool. I think they thought all kids in Hawaii know how to swim! Not my kids!

$$$$ restaurant. They basically have only 1 restaurant. But very smart! They use different names to call the same restaurant for breakfast, tea time and dinner. I was so shocked.

All in all. Not recommended for families with small kids. Unless you stay in their newest wing, then you are good. But for the money, I rather stay at Royal Hawaiian, or Halekulani.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Aloha & Mahalo for staying with us at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa and thank you for taking the time to post your review. We strive to provide a relaxing resort experience to all our valued guests and I am truly sorry to hear we did not live up to that promise. Being recognized on the National Register of Historic Places, Historic Wing guestrooms are indeed smaller compared to those in our newer towers. With that said, there is no excuse for an inadequate soundproofing in these guestrooms, and I would like to assure you that our executive management team will look into correcting this issue right away. Once again, we sincerely apologize for your experiences. We truly appreciate your business and hope you will consider giving us an opportunity to redeem ourselves and welcome you back. Until then, Aloha.
New Hampshire, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

Having lived in Honolulu as a child, I often return with my parents and son every summer for a trip back to Hawaii. We've stayed at other properties in Waikiki-- but the Moana Surfrider is by far THE BEST on so many levels. We had one of the ocean front Tower Suites (11th floor -- definitely the higher floor you can get the better) that has a pull down Murphy bed in it (complete with a real Heavenly Bed mattress!) which was super comfortable. The view was incredible, the lanai (porch) is so spacious in front with lovely lounge chairs and tables -- and it was so much fun to watch the five or so turtles every day in the reef below. The beach in front of the Moana is the ONLY part that is all sand with no coral -- best location for sure. The bathroom was beautiful and spacious in granite and new fixtures. Our maid Lolita was always so thoughtful and everything was immaculate. The concierge Chie helped me get a document notarized and faxed without a hitch at the last minute on a weekend which went above and beyond. Breakfast was a great deal since with the buffet -- my son ate for free. (We also managed to get a 35% off SPG dining credit on our reservation that definitely helped with costs). We ate dinner one night at the Banyan Bar and were very disappointed -- the food was terrible, tasted packaged.

Fish tacos at Duke's Canoe Club next door at the Outrigger Hotel are amazing, and The Cheesecake Factory and PF Chang's are a welcome place to eat.

We spent 8 days -- and as always didn't want to leave.

If you are interested in a spa/massage -- I highly recommend walking two blocks to Spa Pure which is located in what is now the Courtyard Marriott. For the past few years my son and I have always gone a few times to get massages from Petula and her staff.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
First off, our big MAHALO for naming us the “Best Hotel in Waikiki”! We truly appreciate your delightful comment, particularly regarding our wonderful staff. We sincerely believe our wonderful and capable associates, like Lolita in Housekeeping and Chie at the Concierge, and their Spirit of Aloha are what make the Moana special, and we are always very grateful when our guests recognize their efforts. Please know your post has been forwarded to their department directors for commendation! Lastly, mahalo for your feedback regarding the Beach Bar – our F&B team will look into this right away. MAHALO for allowing us to be part of your island getaway and we look forward to welcoming you back to create many more memories at the First Lady of Waikiki. Until then, Aloha.
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

The pictures on the internet were beautiful. The lobby and outside were quite impressive when we arrived from the airport after a ten hour flight. But the beauty stopped there. We were not received well at the front desk and the staff is very robotic. No smiles, no Hawaiian spirit. They acted like I needed them and they were doing me a favor to stay here. Stay away from the Diamond wing. Dirty, cramp and even bugs in the room. I have stayed at SPG prpoerties for the past 30 years and this was the worst and there is no second. Take my advice, see the lobby, and the hotel front and take beautiful pictures. Then stay somewhere else. I was fortunate, I had my beautiful wife of 25 years to distract me of from the room issues. I will not give up on Starwood as the Moana is not reflective of that great program.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review. We sincerely apologize for the resort experience that failed to meet your expectations in many areas. We are certainly embarrassed to learn of these service issues and would like to assure you that this is not indicative of the level of service we strive to provide here at the Moana Surfrider. Personally for me, your observation on the lack of Aloha Spirit among our staff was very difficult to read, as that is one thing we take a great pride in here at the Moana. Please know your review has been shared with our management team for immediate actions and again, we deeply apologize for this experience. It is our sincere hope you will allow us an opportunity to redeem ourselves and welcome you back to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa. Until then, Aloha.

Been to Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!