“Very busy - but great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa

You added Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   2365 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96815 (Waikiki)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
4th Night Free/Breakfast
Ranked #28 of 82 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Very busy - but great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We have just returned from 5 days at the Moana. The lobby was always packed with people , and non stop wedding parties . I know it was peak holiday season but in visiting other near bye hotels this was quite extraordinary ,, one day there was the added " annual Mango Festival " and there were stalls all set up by the pool . Although the offerings at theses stalls were delicious it made negotiating the path to the pool and beach almost impossible . We chose a room in the older part of the hotel with an ocean view . We had a large picture window almost on top of the beach which was wonderful . The room was however small and the bathroom even smaller .it was always clean ad beds extremely comfortable . Staff were very friendly and helpful and I would recommend paying the extra for the chairs on the beach - staff bought lovely drinks and lunch and you really needed the shade as the sun was very hot .
The location is fantastic and the old world charm really special - sitting on the wide verandah looking out over the setting sun - doesn't get much better .
We just wished it was a bit more peaceful ....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Aloha,
Thanks for sharing with us and for being our guest. Here at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, we try to create a relaxing oasis in the middle of bustling Waikiki and remind our guests of a simpler time with services such as Afternoon Tea on the Veranda. We are delighted to hear you relished in our private beach umbrella rental where guests can relax on an exclusive beach reserved specifically for guests of the Moana Surfride, A Westin Resort & Spa. If you haven’t before, please visit our Moana Lani Spa and treat yourself to a rejuvenating service, such as the lomi lomi massage, a customer favorite! Mahalo and we hope you will return to “The First Lady of Waikiki” on your next trip to Hawai’i.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (670)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Apple Valley, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Moana Surfrider the first 3 nights of our recent trip to Hawaii. We had reserved an ocean front room in the tower and that's what we got. We ended up on the 9th floor, which was fine, but our lanai was close to a cooking smoke vent and a couple of times we couldn't stay on the lanai to enjoy the view because of cooking smoke. As a result, we were disappointed that we didn't get (or ask) for a room on a higher floor.

The view from our room was very nice, as evidenced from the photos attached to this review. Since we were there on Oahu only to take in the Battleships of WWII tour and do a little shopping, we spent most of our time on the lanai enjoying the view and watching the surfers, swimmers and sun bathers on Waikiki Beach.

The food was good, though as stated previously, very, VERY overpriced for what you get. But then most places you can eat on Waikiki are over priced. We had dinner our first night at the Beachhouse at the Moana and that's when we got food sticker shock. Never-the-less, we enjoyed our meal, but the next two nights, we found someplace not quite as expensive to eat.

The service while we were there was exceptional. Were were able to check right in and the front desk person was very courteous and attentive. Housekeeping did a very nice job cleaning up our messes every day and were prompt when we needed something extra.

Although this has nothing to do with the Moana Surfrider, or any Waikiki hotel for that matter, my only real problem with staying at a hotel on Waikiki Beach is how crowded it is there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Moana S, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Aloha,
Thank you for sharing with us and for being our guest. We are so sorry to hear of your concerns and we sincerely apologize for any discomfort you experienced while being our guest. We always encourage our guests to address any issues with our management as soon as possible as we are often able to grant additional guestrooms, based on availability. We pride ourselves in having wonderful customer service and we are delighted to hear you received exceptional service. Our credo is “First Lady, First Class” and we aspire to provide first class service. Mahalo again and we hope you will return to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa on a future vacation.
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I were staying at Westins' Moana Surf Rider in mid June as part of our 25th Wedding anniversary.

We had prepaid $360 a night for 3 nights for an Oceanfront room with a King bed (no meals). On arrival it puzzled us as to why reception were taking so long to process our check in.

Eventually they said that the room we had booked and paid for was unavailable. They had checked the nearby-related SPG hotels for a similar room but to no avail.

Instead, would we care to look at one of their Tower rooms? Cutting a long story short (which included viewing 2 rooms) they gave us no option other than accept a room with a view directly into the rooms of the Outrigger Hotel next door. So much for our much anticipated ocean front outlook.

Under the terms of our prepayment we would have forfeited our entire prepayment of the 3 nights if we hadn't turned up. I think it outrageous that a hotel can breach its side of the contract and get away with the minor recompense that they offered.

They call the room we had 'partial ocean view' which I would describe as an ocean glimpse. The closeness and imposing nature of the Outrigger tower next door is simply disturbing. Ugly is the word that most fitting for the view from our room. I was reminded of battery hens couped up in both the Moana Surf Rider and the Outrigger towers. Without the curtains closed the level of privacy is nil - which may suit voyeurs and exhibitionists!

The rooms are extremely small. The 'wardrobe' is in the bathroom - something I have never experienced in all my years of travel. Perhaps the thinking is that you can steam the creases from your clothes while showering!

The room was not clean. Food and beverages had been spilled by previous occupants and not cleaned. Room menus almost had enough remnants of a previous occupants meal for someone else to eat again.

One morning we arrived at breakfast at around 10am. The waiters were clearly over it by then. Service was grumpy and almost non-existent. On other mornings when we arrived earlier we had a slightly better experience.

Other reviewers have commented on the excellent location of the Moana Surf Rider. I seriously question this. For some reason (which is beyond me) the hotel seems to be a tourist attraction in its own right. The result is that the foyers and restaurants are overcrowded. Bedlam is a word that comes to mind to describe our travels through these areas.

The Moana Surfrider took something away from our special anniversary. I sat on this review for a month - hoping that time would moderate my thoughts. I cannot think of anything positive to say about this hotel.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to share with us. We are sorry to hear of your concerns and we sincerely apologize for any discomfort you experienced while being our guest. We are honored you chose to spend such a special occasion with us and we are so sorry your experience didn’t live up to your expectations. If you wish to address this matter further, please feel free to contact us at 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com. Again we sincerely apologize and hope that you will consider returning to “The First Lady of Waikiki” and give us the opportunity to regain your confidence.
Mahalo
Beaumont, Texas, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

The Surfrider was fabulous. I found the room to be lovely, the staff very friendly and helpful, and the food was excellent (although extremely overpriced). I ended my trip with a visit to the spa , and had the best massage of my life. It's just a fabulous place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Aloha,
Thank you so much for sharing with us and for being our guest. We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed “The First Lady of Waikiki.” We are so happy you were able to visit the Moana Lani Spa and that you had the best massage of your life! It is the only beachfront spa in Waikiki and features a couple’s treatment room. Mahalo again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa.
Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was our third trip to the ‘Moana Surfrider’ and, until now, it has been one of our most favourite hotels and retreats. Sadly, we have been left a bit disappointed and jaded by some of the changes we experienced on this latest trip. I have always suggested the ‘Moana Surfrider’ to friends and relatives planning to visit Hawaii but I’ll be more circumspect in future.

The first blemish appeared on check in when we noticed the carpet in our room was still quite dirty with chips and crumbs etc and a large, wet and fresh coffee stain. ‘Housekeeping’ here had always been a strong point for the Moana but, sadly, not this time. I didn’t think too much about this at the time but….as the days rolled on this all added up to a less than rosy picture of the current moana Surfrider. I also soon noted the reduced amenity supplies in the bathroom: just shampoo, conditioner and body lotion supplied. No shower cap etc. which, in itself, is not a huge issue but still, at $600 per night, this was noticed. We noted, with some irony, that we had stayed at many, smaller 3 star hotels, and even some in the Mojave desert, on this latest trip that had offered more supplies than this.

The next issue we picked up on was at breakfast. I always choose the cereals and fruits from the continental menu. Offerings here previously had been, as one would expect from a 5 star hotel, Bircher muesli, poached and dried fruits, and yoghurt etc. This time though I only had packet cereals to choose from. I didn't find this acceptable, even at $25. So, the following morning we ate cereal on our balcony, whilst looking over the beach and up to Diamond Head, purchased from the ABC store across the road for less than $3!

The other point we noted and were disappointed with was the changed ‘bar food’ menu and this was not a change for the better! The offerings were reduced in variety, fewer in number and of much poorer quality and presentation. On previous holidays, here at the Moana, we had chosen to spend many a pleasant evening dining in the Banyan tree courtyard. One dose of dining here this time was enough though.

There were some other issues we picked up on including less than acceptable attitude and service from some wait and pool staff which just added to our overall disappointment.

I did present to the Concierge part way through our 4 night stay to enquire whether there had been any significant management change at the hotel. I found it hard to understand how such a decline had evolved in just 18 months since our last stay here. She pressed me for my details and I reiterated I wasn't making a complaint but she asked if it was ok to pass these comments on to the hotel manager. I agreed to her request and said I’d be happy to discuss my observations with them as a form of constructive criticism but, as yet, I have not received any follow up.

One might scoff here and laugh at these issues as 'first world' type problems but when a hotel has a reputation and price point that it trades on then I believe that certain standards should be met. This is just simple business sense. The Moana Surfrider has fallen well short of its previous standards and of that expected by this category of a Westin hotel. Prices have gone up about 20% since our last visit 18 months agao but service and standards have gone down by about 50%!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Tower block with a room facing Diamond Head @ $600 per night. The service and stand...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Aloha,
Thank you for being our guest. We are sorry to hear of your concerns and we sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations from before. The concerns you mentioned are uncharacteristic of our standards and we appreciate you taking the time to share with us. We value your feedback for it gives us the opportunity to address and improve upon certain areas that might not have been brought to our attention otherwise. Our company credo is “First Lady, First Class” and we aspire to provide our guests with first class treatment. If you wish to address your concerns further, please feel free to reach out to us at 374guestexperienceteam@westin.com. Mahalo and we hope you will return to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa and give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from our trip and stayed at the Moana. We loved it! It is very elegant. We loved sitting in the lobby and on the porch rocking chairs as the breeze passed through and as the piano player (Scott is his name I think, he wears a hat and plays most nights from 6:30-9:30) while we sipped on wine. It was very relaxing. There were a lot of bridal parties from Japan, we must have seen 6 a day. We just loved people watching. It is a romantic setting. We gave high prizes to the staff, very nice and helpful - front desk, concierge, bell desk, tour & activity desk. They were all fantastic and even saved us money on the rental car! Our room was on the 4th floor in the historic wing. It was small and you could hear all the city noise outside but we didn't care since we were out of the room most of the time anyway. We loved that it has historical significance and elegance. The bed was so comfortable!! We would definitely stay there again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloha,
Thank you for sharing with us! We are delighted to hear of your recent stay with us and to know that our staff was nice and helpful. Our credo is “First Lady First Class” and we are pleased to know you received royal treatment. We are so glad you enjoyed our piano bar, bin1901 which features live music nightly and many delectable wines, beers and cocktails. We offer a complimentary historical tour every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11:00am where guests can acquire knowledge about the hotel’s journey through the 20th century. Mahalo again and we look forward to your return!
Washington, DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

First, if you go all the way to Hawaii from the Mainland, don't stay in Waikiki. It's crowded, gaudy, and expensive. The rest of Hawaii is much, much prettier and less crowded. This hotel may be pretty typical for Waikiki.

It's on a particularly busy part of Waikiki and the windows seem really old and not sound proof - the white noise machine in the room was the first bad sign, though we were glad to have it. Other issues - the small shower is poorly designed so if you try to turn it on before getting in to get the temperature right, you are going to soak the entire flood. Unfortunately, we only had two large towels in the room, so we soaked all of the little towels trying to clean it up. We requested and thought we had a king bed, but had a queen. The alarm clock was faulty and music blared when we tried to set it - we got it to turn off but it turned itself back on around 3am. We had to unplug it to get it to stop. The room was small - we were there briefly so it was no big deal, but I was very glad it was not an entire vacation.

Our flight out was in the evening. They were nice enough to give us a late check out (1pm) and let us use a hospitality suite before we left.

Aloha,
Thank you for sharing with us and for being our guest. We are sorry to hear of your concerns and we apologize for not meeting your expectations. The Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa was the first hotel built in Waikiki and set the precedent in Hawaiian hospitality over a hundred years ago. Waikiki literally developed with “The First Lady of Waikiki” as the focal point. While many of our guests prefer our historical Banyan Wing guestrooms for they are most representative of the Hawai’i of yesteryear, we also offer more modernized options in our newly renovated Tower Wing. It’s great to hear availability allowed us to grant you a late check-out and that you were able to use our hospitality room before you left. Mahalo and we hope you will consider returning to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa on your next trip to the islands.

Been to Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!